Deleted

Question Upgrade or buy new?

Hey computer forum

I'm currently debating whether it is possible to upgrade my current computer, or if it'd be better to save up and buy a completly new.
    About 4 years ago, I bought the following:

8GB DDR3 1600M Kingston HyperX Grey (2x4GB)
    Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB S-1155
    ASUS P8P67 DELUXE B3 DDR3 S-1155
    750W Energon EPS-750 130mm

I already had a semi-good gpu, which in the meantime decided to fail on me, so I got an old from a friend, which I'm currently using. It is a Radeon RTI HD 4800, I believe, and the driver is not compatible with w10 - which I upgraded to last week.

With legion coming up in a few weeks, I've been tinkering with the idea of either upgrading or wait untill the fall and buy a new computer.

From what I've been able to gather, the cpu is the "most important" part when playing WoW, and not so much the gpu, but I was wondering if the i5 I already have, would be able to handle Legion on medium to high settings, if I got a new gpu?
    And if I were to buy a new gpu, would the motherboard be able to handle it as well?

I guess if the answers are "No", I'm better off just buying a completly new computer, or is there some way to achieve medium/high settings with the current build, but with a few upgrades?
    I've also been wondering if it is worth it to buy a new gpu now, and perhaps get some graphical improvements before Legion, and then upgrade cpu/motherboard later on.

I live in Denmark, so I guess most of my shopping would be done at Komplett, as they seem to have the widest selection at a reasonable price.
    I almost exclusively play WoW, so it is not like I need a killer of a machine.
    I don't really have a set budget, as I'm still not sure what to do - but I guess it is not worth spending more than €150-300 on upgrades, as I'd be better off just buying all new if upgrades exceeds €300.

Best regards,
    Arihant

It's possible to upgrade if you dont run overclocking by applying it. Other than that you new a new build.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Thanks a lot for the response
    I've been looking around for a gpu, but can't really seem to figure out whether to go with a 2 or 4gb one.
    On the Build of the month's "Puppy" build there is a 2gb one, and on the "Dolphin" there is a 4gb one as well. Is there a big difference, or is the 4gb one mainly for more gpu-heavy games?

I've found a package-deal on a ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX 960 gpu and a 120gb Kingston SSD for $255/€228. It seems like a quite good offer, but I'm not sure how much of the 120gb is actually accessible. I figure putting my OS and WoW on the SSD would be 1st priority, and with WoW at ~50gb, it might be a close call.
    I'm not sure if it is the 2gb or 4gb gpu, as the picture on the site is of a 4gb, but the copy-paste kinda text describes a 2gb. The product# is the same as ASUS uses for the 4gb one on their website - as well as the one Komplett uses for their own 4gb ASUS gpu. (I hope all of this makes sense to you).
    This is the text on the website, all the other stuff is in danish, so not sure how much it would be of use.
    "It is fitted with 2 GB of high-speed GDDR5 video memory that races along at boosted speeds of up to 7200 MHz."
    I don't know if it is just me, but that sounds like a 2gb gpu.
    A link for reference: https://www.komplett.dk/product/8772...60-ssd-bundle# <- Warning: Danish site

Again, I really appreciate your help and inputs.
    Last edited by mmoc95de20d6cc; 2016-08-05 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Arihant View Post
    Thanks a lot for the response
    I've been looking around for a gpu, but can't really seem to figure out whether to go with a 2 or 4gb one.
    On the Build of the month's "Puppy" build there is a 2gb one, and on the "Dolphin" there is a 4gb one as well. Is there a big difference, or is the 4gb one mainly for more gpu-heavy games?

I've found a package-deal on a ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX 960 gpu and a 120gb Kingston SSD for $255/€228. It seems like a quite good offer, but I'm not sure how much of the 120gb is actually accessible. I figure putting my OS and WoW on the SSD would be 1st priority, and with WoW at ~50gb, it might be a close call.
    I'm not sure if it is the 2gb or 4gb gpu, as the picture on the site is of a 4gb, but the copy-paste kinda text describes a 2gb. The product# is the same as ASUS uses for the 4gb one on their website - as well as the one Komplett uses for their own 4gb ASUS gpu. (I hope all of this makes sense to you).
    This is the text on the website, all the other stuff is in danish, so not sure how much it would be of use.
    "It is fitted with 2 GB of high-speed GDDR5 video memory that races along at boosted speeds of up to 7200 MHz."
    I don't know if it is just me, but that sounds like a 2gb gpu.
    A link for reference: https://www.komplett.dk/product/8772...60-ssd-bundle# <- Warning: Danish site

Again, I really appreciate your help and inputs.
    What is your budget? The deal obviously sounds good for the price, but I wouldnt buy any of those components now.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    As I mentioned in the OP, I don't really have a budget set in stone, but I guess spending more than €300 on upgrades isn't really worth it - compared to saving up that little extra and buying an all new computer.
    What do you mean you wouldn't buy those components now? Are the prices higher than usually at the moment?

Intel build.