Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    and all citizens deserve the right to vote.
    Prove it

/10 char

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    I think it should be based off of the crime. Murder and rape for instance. Once you do that- you should lose the right to vote because you're a piece of shit and your opinion shouldn't matter.
    This is the way it is.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    Prove it

/10 char
    The burden of proof is on you, not me. You are the one trying to disprove me, not the other way around. So, get your facts straight.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

The burden of proof is on you, not me. You are the one trying to disprove me, not the other way around. So, get your facts straight.
    Occum's Razor actually puts the burden on you. The null hypothesis throughout time is that voting is not a universally protected right. It is a privilege. One that we in the US now extend to all people over the age of 18, assuming they do not have a felony record.

"In the U.S., the constitution implicitly permits the States to adopt rules about disenfranchisement "for participation in rebellion, or other crime", by the fourteenth amendment, section 2. It is up to the states to decide which crimes could be ground for disenfranchisement, and they are not formally bound to restrict this to felonies; however, in most cases, they do."

Voting is not a right.

FYI, that isn't how "proof" works. It's not the one who is fighting the other persons point of view. Nice try though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should be able to vote once they are no longer in custody.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Depriving ex-felons of the right to vote gives an unfair advantage to the Republican party. This is because the poor and African Americans tend to vote Democratic.
    Whats absurd is that the democrats have done nothing to dismantle the prison industrial complex. Why the heck do people keep voting for the democrats when they never bother to address the issues they supposedly care about? They always stir up these issues just before an election, and then after they are elected they forget about it all together.

Barack Obama signed off on violently crushing the Occupy Wall Street movement, and you can darn well be sure if BLM ever achieved a position where it could push for actual reforms, Hillary Clinton will have her media cronies turn off the cameras while her militarized police gas and beat protesters in the streets. The democrats have played those who are concerned with matters like prison reform as rubes for years, and it is disheartening that this con game is still going on.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Having ex-felons allowed to vote is how most of the Western world that has liberal democracy does it, with the United States as the first exception that comes to mind. Of course they should! Anything else is not democracy. "Hey guys, let's make a new law to make this thing a crime and then target this specific community to try and bust people for committing said crime then they von't be able to vote. Perfect!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Whats absurd is that the democrats have done nothing to dismantle the prison industrial complex. Why the heck do people keep voting for the democrats when they never bother to address the issues they supposedly care about?
    Because "not dismantling it" is better than expanding it and that's what the other plausible option is?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    To be honest, I wouldn't even be bothered if we let them vote from prison. What are people worried they'll do? Get murder made legal?
    I imagine its for the same reason people put in involuntary medical facilities can't vote while incapacitated.

Lets look beyond the box at any number of scenarios. What if prison officials utilize their positions of authority to influence votes over their wards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    What if prison officials utilize their positions of authority to influence votes over their wards?
    We smash said officials with the largest available hammer, same as we would any other official who attempts to interfere with free elections?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    We smash said officials with the largest available hammer, same as we would any other official who attempts to interfere with free elections?
    Because holding people accountable has worked so well in regards to contraband, sex, and other things in our prison system?

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I say they should. They have paid their price to society, no matter how much they have changed, their voices will never be heard in the public arena. Depriving ex-felons of the right to vote alienates certain minorities, who have the deck stacked against them to begin with in the justice system.

Depriving ex-felons of the right to vote gives an unfair advantage to the Republican party. This is because the poor and African Americans tend to vote Democratic.

Disenfranchisement of ex-felons amounts to extra punishment, other Democratic countries do not do this.

Thoughts?
    You don't have the right to vote, it's not said anywhere. The don't deserve that right. I know the left and dems want to let the criminals vote but we don't need more uninformed people voting democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaIsForLovers View Post
    You don't have the right to vote, it's not said anywhere. The don't deserve that right. I know the left and dems want to let the criminals vote but we don't need more uninformed people voting democrat.
    So by your definition a group of people should be arbitrarily disenfranchised because they might vote for a political party you don't like.

No, it is not. It is redundant punishment that doesn't serve a purpose. Losing your right to vote, for the rest of your life, just for going to prison for any reason, once, is ludicrous.
    You are welcome to that opinion. But I am right, the law is the law. Being a felon costs you the right to vote and own guns for life. No reason to change that. Its easy enough to avoid being a felon, I mean its SUPER easy.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Of course, they should.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    You are welcome to that opinion. But I am right, the law is the law. Being a felon costs you the right to vote and own guns for life. No reason to change that. Its easy enough to avoid being a felon, I mean its SUPER easy.
    "You are welcome to that opinion. But I am right, the law is the law. Being a woman costs you the right to vote. No reason to change that. Its easy enough to avoid being a woman, I mean its SUPER easy."

See I can make arbitrary arguments too. If you look at voting history in the U.S. most voter disenfranchisement were based on incredibly bizarre arguments.

Furthermore, the Law is not the Law. Some states allow it, some states don't. Regardless, a felon (ex or not) still has to live in the country and has as much need to influence the world around themselves as anyone else. What if the law was changed so that ex-felons are not allowed to own a car or be denied the right to drive in general?

For example, I think bankers should have less right to vote than anyone else. Those bastards might cause great societal harm if they were allowed to vote. It might lead to things like the repeal of the Glass-Stegall act! Fortunately its super easy to not be a banker and thus risk causing wide-spread financial instability.

Deleted
    No. Obviously, if you stole a car at 18 there's NO chance you will EVER be a constructive member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    "You are welcome to that opinion. But I am right, the law is the law. Being a woman costs you the right to vote. No reason to change that. Its easy enough to avoid being a woman, I mean its SUPER easy."

See I can make arbitrary arguments too. If you look at voting history in the U.S. most voter disenfranchisement were based on incredibly bizarre arguments.

Furthermore, the Law is not the Law. Some states allow it, some states don't. Regardless, a felon (ex or not) still has to live in the country and has as much need to influence the world around themselves as anyone else. What if the law was changed so that ex-felons are not allowed to own a car or be denied the right to drive in general?

For example, I think bankers should have less right to vote than anyone else. Those bastards might cause great societal harm if they were allowed to vote. It might lead to things like the repeal of the Glass-Stegall act! Fortunately its super easy to not be a banker and thus risk causing wide-spread financial instability.
    Being a woman is the same as being a felon now? Being a banker is the same.....well yeh proly.

Its not arbitrary. Its a punishment for crimes committed. You disagree that its right, cool, call your congressman and get it changed. I think its just fine do not do the crime if you cant do the time*

*time= all associated punishment.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Of course not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't say I have any issue with a felon voting. What difference, at this point, does it make?

I don't think a current inmate should get an opportunity to exercise his franchise, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Being a woman is the same as being a felon now? Being a banker is the same.....well yeh proly.

Its not arbitrary. Its a punishment for crimes committed. You disagree that its right, cool, call your congressman and get it changed. I think its just fine do not do the crime if you cant do the time*

*time= all associated punishment.
    The purpose of the criminal justice system is not punishment. Its rehabilitation. A woman, a felon and a banker can all have something in common. They are citizens. In a democracy, citizens have the opportunity to influence the nation they live in. Denying someone the right to vote because of a conviction is about as foolish as denying someone the right because they don't own property.

What do you do in situations where people are rail-roaded through the criminal justice system? There are a lot of people who take plea-bargains for crimes they didn't commit since they can't afford proper legal representation. Admission to a crime is literally the easiest way of getting on with your life.