Deleted

What to go for stronger CPU or GPU?

So im currently looking at ordering a new pc in a couple of days. Just to get a better idea I mainly want my rig for Wow hopefully raiding at high to ultra but I also play a couple of moba's , overwatch and bethesda / bioware rpg style games . I enjoy the more cinematic games on ps4 <I'm a scrub I know but old habits die hard. So not having an unlimited budget I need to chose between:

1. Intel i7-6700k, 10% overclock with a gtx 1070

2. Intel i5-6600k 20% overclock with the gtx1080

3. AMD FX 9590 with gtx 1080

Mainly Running a 1 monitor setup at 1080p. Keeping in mind the games I want to run what will be the setup for me?
    All configs will have a motherboard where i can add a second video card in the future, 16gb ram, 240GB ssd and 2tb HDD. Will the better cpu or gpu give the most bang for my buck?

Thank you Internet

I would have to go with option 2. You don't really see much of a performance increase by picking an i7 over an i5.

Deleted
    Thanks for the input

10+ Year Old Account
    The 6600k with a gtx1070 could work fairly well too if you want to adjust budget chunks elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

Deleted
    The difference between i5 and i7 isn't worth it if you don't use the extra cores (for things as rendering/encoding). Games like WoW are single threaded, so the octacore AMD CPU really doesn't stand a chance against an i5 for it. Besides that, AMD CPUs tend to get annoyingly hot, so you'd need some proper cooling too.

Personally I'd go for number 2. But for a single monitor at 1080p the gtx1080 really sounds like overkill. Have you thought about using the i5-6600K with a 1070 and put the money you'd save into buying a 1440p monitor instead?

Quote Originally Posted by PepperedAngus View Post
    The difference between i5 and i7 isn't worth it if you don't use the extra cores
    Small technicality but I think you meant threads not cores, the i5 and i7 have the same number of cores just the i7 has hyper-threading(virtually doubling the number of cores). Other than that I agree, go with the i5 with a 1070 and save up for a better monitor.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Traditionally GPU matters more than CPU, and the two cpu's listed are fairly close as far as wow is concerned, so you'd get more from 2 than 1. I'm not up to snuff on AMD any longer (used to love them but that was a loooooong time ago) so don't know how they measure up. I currently use a 6700k with a 660Ti (gpu is next thing to upgrade whenever that'll be), for reference (upgraded from a 5 year old i5 2500k just recently) and running wow at somewhere between high/ultra.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Small technicality but I think you meant threads not cores, the i5 and i7 have the same number of cores just the i7 has hyper-threading(virtually doubling the number of cores). Other than that I agree, go with the i5 with a 1070 and save up for a better monitor.
    Woops, exactly what I meant

No reason to go with i7 for gaming. I dont get why would you be able to overclock an i5 by 20% and i7 only by 10%? Also, GTX 1080 is overkill for 1080p. So I'd get a GTX 6600K+GTX 1070.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

7+ Year Old Account
    gpu over cpu imo. Been the way I have been building my main machine for many years now. Never disappointed.