Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    I should have asked you first. After all, you did suggest clustering houses. I'm just saying that they should share walls and floors/roofs. As many as possible.
    I'm almost certain that you have an aesthetic predisposition for diverse arrangements of differing buildings, with singular façades, and rooftops of various heights. Clustering doesn't imply making a large condo on a single style (though single developments tend to be better thought out). Row-housing, for instance, is a way to cluster them like any other.

So long as they don't share walls, they can't be better. The way to build them properly is to cluster them in a continuous block. Ideally on top of each-other too.
    Detached homes are just a capricious development of the white-picket-fence american dream nightmare. Cultures that developed long-lasting, non movable houses, tended to eventually cluster them in various ways, and for very good reasons.
    I would do row housing and create small streets, personally I am fond of Spanish architecture and the haicianda you see around California and Mexico. I'd prefer to build them in such away that they are tightly packed but with open walkway's and courtyards. I am not fond of the white picket fence, every house has a yard and is separate sort of style.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Naw fuck that I don't want to listen to other people and tgey don't want to listen to me when I'm blasting ABBA.
    I think a major problem is that people are so detached and alienated from their neighbors that people feel comfortable being that sort of loud jack ass. If many things are communal, like a communal rec. area, communal pool, heck even a communal big dining hall, people don't just get to know one another they also are likely to be more respectful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I would do row housing and create small streets, personally I am fond of Spanish architecture and the haicianda you see around California and Mexico. I'd prefer to build them in such away that they are tightly packed but with open walkway's and courtyards. I am not fond of the white picket fence, every house has a yard and is separate sort of style.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a major problem is that people are so detached and alienated from their neighbors that people feel comfortable being that sort of loud jack ass. If many things are communal, like a communal rec. area, communal pool, heck even a communal big dining hall, people don't just get to know one another they also are likely to be more respectful.
    Some people are why though
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

7+ Year Old Account
    Some people are why though
    Some people are assholes, mostly because they can't be punished. A community like that, a village, should probably set up rules forbidding that.

When I was an RA at a college dorm I had to enforce those "Shut the fuck up," rules.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Fuck that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't guarantee the last 2
    Well you can if you all share property ownership and you make an effort to screen people.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Oh heeeelll no, I want my own place, land, sit on a porch in a rocking chair with a shotgun in my lap and shoot all trespassers.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Well you can if you all share property ownership and you make an effort to screen people.
    Even when you screen it's hard to find people you can completely trust to rely on when it comes to a living arrangement.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

7+ Year Old Account
    Even when you screen it's hard to find people you can completely trust to rely on when it comes to a living arrangement.
    If people want to spend that kinda money, though it is gruesomely expensive personally.

Non-typical living arrangements become more appealing as housing prices increase and wages stay flat. The house with white pickets fences is more and more out of families' price ranges.

If people want to spend that kinda money, though it is gruesomely expensive personally.
    I don't know I was looking at getting a little plot if land and building on it, and in the long run I think it's going to be cheaper than my 4bdrm that I have right now just for me.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

You're an ex-cheerleader, you shouldn't have trouble getting roomies.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I can't say I run a commune, but I do own a house. My roommate is a permanent resident. She's trustworthy; she asks me first when she's going to steal from me. "Stealing from me" is an interesting concept in this situation. For example, if she took my guitar, that would be stealing, although if she asked to play it I'd say yes. If she eats something, that's not stealing because we pool money to buy groceries.

idk. Not saying live any kind of communal life. Maybe just saying I have a good roommate.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't know I was looking at getting a little plot if land and building on it, and in the long run I think it's going to be cheaper than my 4bdrm that I have right now just for me.
    I've considered, if I stay in Cali that is, building something like a village or apartment complex with some shared amenities and commons and the like. But I'd likely only rent them out to friends that I know. I think there is some advantages to living in a group, both psychologically and financially.

I've considered, if I stay in Cali that is, building something like a village or apartment complex with some shared amenities and commons and the like. But I'd likely only rent them out to friends that I know. I think there is some advantages to living in a group, both psychologically and financially.
    Can I come
    Gamdwelf the Mage

7+ Year Old Account
    Can I come
    Perhaps.

If I ever do it. Maybe some day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like hell, I'd rather live alone. I actually go to great lengths to be alone, sometimes spending days or weeks living in a nature preserve around my area. Living in the swamp isn't for everyone though.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I can't say I run a commune, but I do own a house. My roommate is a permanent resident. She's trustworthy; she asks me first when she's going to steal from me. "Stealing from me" is an interesting concept in this situation. For example, if she took my guitar, that would be stealing, although if she asked to play it I'd say yes. If she eats something, that's not stealing because we pool money to buy groceries.

idk. Not saying live any kind of communal life. Maybe just saying I have a good roommate.
    Well that's the reason I got a 4 bedroom house to live with people.

In my experience though most people still can't really be depended on for important things.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I wouldn't mind this... but I am generally pro hippy communes/Native American reservations (that are not poverty stricken). Everyone is really close, and take care of each other, it is pretty cool.
    It's not all you think. I grew up in a small town, as long as you fit the mold the group will accept you. Break the mold and they'll turn on you in a heart beat.

I help some older relatives with their computers, a great aunt called. Seems there is this national forum system that has a forum for each small town. What happened? People would post gossip on it. What my aunt wanted was to log onto it to see if there was any gossip she didn't already know. But people in the community would say the most horrible things about each other anonymously. I think there were even law suits.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I wouldn't mind this... but I am generally pro hippy communes/Native American reservations (that are not poverty stricken). Everyone is really close, and take care of each other, it is pretty cool.
    I think in general the communal aspects of life are very very missing and lacking from American living. If I ever built up the fortune to do it, I'd build a village styled settlement made of row houses, narrow walking streets and several communal areas and rec areas.

I always envision one part Hacienda, Kind of an apartment structure, and partly a dorm style with maybe somewhere someone making and selling food and a common dining hall area. That is what I would do anyway. XD

I think in general the communal aspects of life are very very missing and lacking from American living. If I ever built up the fortune to do it, I'd build a village styled settlement made of row houses, narrow walking streets and several communal areas and rec areas.
    Gonna have agriculture?
    Gamdwelf the Mage