Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Couples underestimate likelihood of infidelity says new study

People tend to underestimate the likelihood their partner will be unfaithful to them.
    Research from the University of Calgary in Canada suggests that the same people have no problem believing that the chances of infidelity are relatively high in an average romantic relationship.

Around 200 university students took part in the study. Each of them had been part of a heterosexual relationship for at least three months. They were asked to complete an online survey which asked them about their beliefs and expectations when it came to infidelity.
    The term ‘infidelity’ was not defined on this survey, allowing each participant to use their own interpretation of what counted when answering the questions.

In an average relationship, respondents believed there was a 42 per cent chance that one partner would be unfaithful. However, when asked about their own relationship they claimed there was only a five per cent chance their partner had strayed. They also believed there was only an eight per cent chance their partner would be unfaithful in the future.

These estimates were lower than the rate of actual infidelity. Nine per cent of participants admitted they had been unfaithful during their current relationship.

The results of the survey “highlight the degree to which people are motivated to really want to believe their relationships and partner [are] better than others” the researchers explained. As a result, this “wishful thinking may blind individuals to real warning signs”.
    The study was published in the academic Journal of Social and Personal Relationships.

http://www.marilynstowe.co.uk/2016/0...of-infidelity/

Yikes. This is quite disturbing!
    What is going on with society when you have so many people who can't even be faithful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.marilynstowe.co.uk/2016/0...of-infidelity/

Yikes. This is quite disturbing!
    What is going on with society when you have so many people who can't even be faithful.
    9% is a disturbing number?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    9% is a disturbing number?

You're not disturbed by a 10% chance of your spouse cheating?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Better Question:

Why did this song come to mind when I read the OP, and I was able to remenber damn near ever lyric?

No.

According to the study, that's only a 1% greater chance compared to what people expect of their own partners anyway. Wouldn't really call that a significant underestimation.

What is interesting is that most people don't expect much from the "average relationship". The reality is that infidelity is really a lot less common that most people believe. They just tend to always assume that it'll never happen to them.

This is actually a lot lower than I expected. And being "unfaithful" isn't immoral for many people.

Deleted
    i dont know a single male that has been faithful , the chances you are getting cucked are 100%

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Better Question:

Why did this song come to mind when I read the OP, and I was able to remenber damn near ever lyric?

Well, its about cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    i dont know a single male that has been faithful , the chances you are getting cucked are 100%
    Guess that means you're a cuck too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Guess that means you're a cuck too?
    girls value sex a lot, i will get dumped after getting cucked most likely

girls value sex a lot, i will get dumped after getting cucked most likely
    Sounds like you need to meet classier women.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Sounds like you need to meet classier women.
    em no , if you value sex a lot it means it means you are very picky . sex is like food for men , we dont care if its sushi or pork we just have to eat , its not important what do you eat . at least not feminized men . you got it wrong a classier women will dump you , because the new pennis is very important for her

em no , if you value sex a lot it means it means you are very picky . sex is like food for men , we dont care if its sushi or pork we just have to eat , its not important what do you eat . at least not feminized men . you got it wrong a classier women will dump you , because the new pennis is very important for her
    Sure, guy, okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    9% admitted. The real number is definitely not lower, and probably not equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    So you dont know a single good person who is a male? I mean its not hard to not cheat.
    He gives off the vibe of the kind of bro who talks about alphas, cucks, and such. Gonna bet he's a Miscer or probably more accurately a wannabe miscer.

Study participants were all college students, hardly representative of the general population for a variety of reasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    So you dont know a single good person who is a male? I mean its not hard to not cheat.
    well i know the personal life of 10 guys , only 1 had to dump a girl after cheating her to make a relationship with the new pussy , very feminine guy . the others are regular cheating and one is "super model" single

with any luck what is going on is that is a cultural shift away from the completely moronic and unhealthy idea that any and every relationship needs to be considered a life long strictly monogamous commitment.

since i'm sure some nitwit is going to have an incredibly trite and cliche freakout about that statement i'll qualify it somewhat:
    life long relationships can and do work for some people, and i'd even say it's a reasonable goal, but A. not every pairing works out that way and the expectation that it should causes a lot of hurt and drama in everybody's lives that doesn't need to be there, and B. there's nothing wrong with having a healthy committed relationship where being together infinitely isn't part of the plan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    with any luck what is going on is that is a cultural shift away from the completely moronic and unhealthy idea that any and every relationship needs to be considered a life long strictly monogamous commitment.

since i'm sure some nitwit is going to have an incredibly trite and cliche freakout about that statement i'll qualify it somewhat:
    life long relationships can and do work for some people, and i'd even say it's a reasonable goal, but A. not every pairing works out that way and the expectation that it should causes a lot of hurt and drama in everybody's lives that doesn't need to be there, and B. there's nothing wrong with having a healthy committed relationship where being together infinitely isn't part of the plan.
    lel make sure you clean her after she is being destroyed . women are not made polyamorous , its a degeneracy from the feminization the males are getting in your country

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post

Lol again with the cultural bullshit. W/e I won't delve into this too much. It took us less than a decade in the 2000s to completely throw morals out the window. I agree that not every relationship works nor should anyone expect every relationship to last a lifetime. But typically that is what humans used to seek. Love. And that translated in a life long partner who you were faithful to and started a family with. Typically this works better if your partner is a lot more than just a sexual partner that you feel attracted to. (ex: also being friends)
    The modernization of society and the career driven lifestyle we follow today shifted away from that notion making it a little harder to achieve as people do not spend as much time looking for it anyway. In my opinion we should have found a balance between the 2 extremes, one extreme being the 100% family driven life we had before where people would stay with their partner even in an abusive relationship because "but what will the neighbors say?" and the other extreme being todays notion of "well women have to try at least 25 different shapes of penises and men have to fuck at least half their neighborhood before they can be commited to anything because "muh freedomz" and even then family and kids is evil".