Deleted

Torn about professions in Legion

I am currently going to level a Rogue as main and a DH and priest as alts in Legion.

I know i want at least one of them to have herb/inscription.

From what i've heard crafting gear is basicly useless.

Is there any other professions worth taking(besides for the money). Any that ive special convenience benefits?

Deleted
    Crafting gear is not useless. It speeds up your overall gearing. If you want to get into raiding quickly, you will need to gear up quickly. If not, then it does not really matter which professions you take, they all have one benefit or the other.

For the Rogue or DH, I would definitely suggest Skinning/Leatherworking as you get tons of leather/scales while leveling and then can craft quite a bit of items when your char hits 110 (and you did the profession quests, and - of course - you haven't hung yourself during the "find the 4 skinning racks in Highmountain" quest)

Jewelcrafting definitely needs mining with it and is only for masochists if you want to do it half-decent. Getting those large gems is such a major pain...

Alchemy is always nice, and pairs nicely with the herbalist you already have on the inscription char.

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    Jewelcrafting definitely needs mining with it and is only for masochists if you want to do it half-decent.
    I have BS + JC. Used to buy ores, prospect them, make gems, profit.

I kept BS because of the extra 2 sockets and because I had some kick ass recipes (like Sulfuras).

Now they removed profession traits completely and I am afraid that with my combo I wont be able to maintain
    either one of my professions.

Thinking about switching back to mining and keeping BS or JC.

Deleted
    Crafting gear is not useless. It speeds up your overall gearing. If you want to get into raiding quickly, you will need to gear up quickly. If not, then it does not really matter which professions you take, they all have one benefit or the other.

For the Rogue or DH, I would definitely suggest Skinning/Leatherworking as you get tons of leather/scales while leveling and then can craft quite a bit of items when your char hits 110 (and you did the profession quests, and - of course - you haven't hung yourself during the "find the 4 skinning racks in Highmountain" quest)

Jewelcrafting definitely needs mining with it and is only for masochists if you want to do it half-decent. Getting those large gems is such a major pain...

Alchemy is always nice, and pairs nicely with the herbalist you already have on the inscription char.
    I know its going to help me a tiny bit with gearing for raids, although i am going to mass spam dungeons anyway.

Afaik its not going to provide any raid quality loot, which means its going to be obsolete very fast. What am i going to use my leatherworker for then?

As inscription i can make the talent change tomes all expansion long

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    I know its going to help me a tiny bit with gearing for raids, although i am going to mass spam dungeons anyway.

Afaik its not going to provide any raid quality loot, which means its going to be obsolete very fast. What am i going to use my leatherworker for then?

As inscription i can make the talent change tomes all expansion long
    This is the reason why I'm also gravitating towards dropping LW and Skinning, possibly for Engineering and either Mining, Enchanting to DE stuff or Alchemy for the longer duration

Deleted
    I still disagree: It DOES provide raid quality loot for a quicker jump into the Heroic / Mythic versions. Heroic dungeons give 825 loot, Mythic dungeons give 840 loot. Mythic plus will not be available before the raid, is actually quite challenging, and only provides 1 (!) loot of higher than 840 quality per week, which is not really helping progression all that much.

Crafted gear can be upgraded to 850, so technically, you can gain 10 ilvls for every piece of crafted gear vs. mythic dungeons before the raid even opens (material farming will be the only limitation). And - as an added bonus - those will have the best secondary stat compositions that there are.

Sure, when you enter Heroic and then Mythic raids, the gear will be replaced, but it gives you the advantage of getting there quicker. That's how it is in an MMO: There is always a progression path for better gear and crafting gear is currently in quite a good spot:
    Questing --> Heroic Dungeons --> Mythic Dungeons (without +) --> Crafting = Normal Raid --> Heroic Raids = lower Mythic+ --> Mythic Raid = higher Mythic+

This is in my opinion how it should be, otherwise, why do raids, when you can grind materials and create better gear that way...

The side effect of this is also that you can capitalize on different progression speed of the WoW population: The hardcore raiders will craft / buy their own stuff to be optimally geared for when the raids open. The "semi-hardcores" do Heroics & Mythic dungeons and then more slowly progress through Normal. That still leaves some item slots where an upgrade can be bought. Then you have the vast majority of players: The casuals, and for them who have mostly LFR gear usually, it is quite a big improvement to have access to 850 ilvl stuff.

Deleted
    I still disagree: It DOES provide raid quality loot for a quicker jump into the Heroic / Mythic versions. Heroic dungeons give 825 loot, Mythic dungeons give 840 loot. Mythic plus will not be available before the raid, is actually quite challenging, and only provides 1 (!) loot of higher than 840 quality per week, which is not really helping progression all that much.

Crafted gear can be upgraded to 850, so technically, you can gain 10 ilvls for every piece of crafted gear vs. mythic dungeons before the raid even opens (material farming will be the only limitation). And - as an added bonus - those will have the best secondary stat compositions that there are.

Sure, when you enter Heroic and then Mythic raids, the gear will be replaced, but it gives you the advantage of getting there quicker. That's how it is in an MMO: There is always a progression path for better gear and crafting gear is currently in quite a good spot:
    Questing --> Heroic Dungeons --> Mythic Dungeons (without +) --> Crafting = Normal Raid --> Heroic Raids = lower Mythic+ --> Mythic Raid = higher Mythic+

This is in my opinion how it should be, otherwise, why do raids, when you can grind materials and create better gear that way...

The side effect of this is also that you can capitalize on different progression speed of the WoW population: The hardcore raiders will craft / buy their own stuff to be optimally geared for when the raids open. The "semi-hardcores" do Heroics & Mythic dungeons and then more slowly progress through Normal. That still leaves some item slots where an upgrade can be bought. Then you have the vast majority of players: The casuals, and for them who have mostly LFR gear usually, it is quite a big improvement to have access to 850 ilvl stuff.
    Is it going to be like WoD where you have to upgrade the gear 13 times for it to be worth anything tho?

I'm not big on timegating stuff

Is there any point going double gather (ench + herb, skin + mine) at the start to gather tons of materials, make tons of money with the extra mats, and then drop two of those professions to level up two crafting profs? Was planning to drop herb for JC, and mining for LW after getting sufficient money. I didn't play WOD and I'm poor, so I wouldn't be able to support JC without mining my own mats at the start, same for leatherworking.

Or would I be setting myself back significantly by not having those crafting professions leveled up from the beginning? Does it take a long time to level a profession in Legion content? I know that we can start leveling the profession from 1 as soon as we hit the broken isles, but that we don't get profession quests until skill 100, or something like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejechted View Post
    Is there any point going double gather (ench + herb, skin + mine) at the start to gather tons of materials, make tons of money with the extra mats, and then drop two of those professions to level up two crafting profs? Was planning to drop herb for JC, and mining for LW after getting sufficient money. I didn't play WOD and I'm poor, so I wouldn't be able to support JC without mining my own mats at the start, same for leatherworking.

Or would I be setting myself back significantly by not having those crafting professions leveled up from the beginning? Does it take a long time to level a profession in Legion content? I know that we can start leveling the profession from 1 as soon as we hit the broken isles, but that we don't get profession quests until skill 100, or something like that.
    I have been thinking of doing this myself actually. Maybe even have a lvl 100 alt with crafting professions while i run around on my main gathering stuff and questing

Deleted

That is perfectly viable. Planning to do so myself. Since you don't really need the skill levels any more except for completionism and some gimmicks, I will pick herb / mining while leveling and then switch over to herb / Tailoring afterwards. Already prepared enough Sumptuous Fur to speed level that back to 700 and the rest just comes anyway. I don't have any special recipes, though, so it's rather easy for me to do that.

I'm actually debating on whether or not I should do this as well. I currently have Engineering/Enchanting on my Rogue and I'm tempted to drop those for Mining/Herbalism and make gold from selling mats, level to 110 and then pick another 2 professions and level those up once I've made a good amount of gold. It's just difficult for me to drop Engineering and Enchanting after working to level them up to 700 + I have rare enchant recipes. I think I'm probably better off using my free 100 to make that my gatherer at the start of Legion and keeping my professions on my Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by nwstud31 View Post
    I'm actually debating on whether or not I should do this as well. I currently have Engineering/Enchanting on my Rogue and I'm tempted to drop those for Mining/Herbalism and make gold from selling mats, level to 110 and then pick another 2 professions and level those up once I've made a good amount of gold. It's just difficult for me to drop Engineering and Enchanting after working to level them up to 700 + I have rare enchant recipes. I think I'm probably better off using my free 100 to make that my gatherer at the start of Legion and keeping my professions on my Rogue.
    I have a bunch of rare enchants on my druid, and enchanting is kind of a gathering profession anyway, so I'll be going enchanting/herb on him for that sweet tauren herbalism bonus, and mining/skinning on my demon hunter so I'm always making money. I'll judge the usefulness of crafting professions when I hit 110 and to give me ways to actually spend my bloods.

What level do you need to be to get profession dailies? It's going to be pretty hard for me to hit 700 because I don't have draenor pathfinder and I honestly have no interest in farming for it until Blizzard makes it so I don't have to spend 5k gold just to see Tanaan. Not playing WOD kind of sucked for my bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Is it going to be like WoD where you have to upgrade the gear 13 times for it to be worth anything tho?

I'm not big on timegating stuff
    yeah hyperbole is the way to go. Would you prefer making 13 seperate pieces of gear for each tier then?

The upgrade system (which was 6 max after the final tier) was a well made system that kept prof gear updated and inline with raids and tiers. It got people geared and ready for raids at each step and kept professions relevant throughout the expansion.