Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Russia says it has foiled Ukrainian 'terror attack' plot in Crimea, two Russians died

Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-uk...-idUSKCN10L1EE

Russia's Federal Security Service said on Wednesday it had thwarted two armed Ukrainian attempts to get saboteurs into Crimea and dismantled a Ukrainian spy network inside the annexed peninsula.

The FSB accused Ukrainian special forces of planning to carry out terrorist attacks inside Crimea targeting critical infrastructure and said an FSB employee and a Russian soldier had been killed in clashes with Ukrainian forces.

"The aim of this subversive activity and terrorist acts was to destabilize the socio-political situation in the region ahead of preparations and the holding of elections," the FSB said in a statement.

Russia annexed Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 in an operation that triggered U.S. and European Union sanctions. Ukraine says it wants the strategically-important peninsula back; Moscow says the matter is settled and closed forever.

The FSB said it had tackled one group of saboteurs in an operation that spanned Saturday night and the early hours of Sunday morning and that an FSB employee had been killed while trying to detain them.

Guardian: Russia says it has foiled Ukrainian 'terror attack' plot in Crimea

Russia’s security service has said it had thwarted “terrorist attacks” in Crimea by Ukrainian military intelligence and beaten back an armed assault by Kiev’s forces.

The FSB said one of its officers was killed in armed clashes while arresting “terrorists” on Saturday night while a Russian soldier was killed in clashes with “sabotage-terrorist” groups sent by the Ukrainian defence ministry on Monday.

Yuriy Tandit, an adviser to the head of Ukraine’s security agency, denied the allegations, telling Interfax-Ukraine news agency that Kiev had no intention of taking back the territory “by force”.

The Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), which is monitoring the frontier between mainland Ukraine and Crimea – which Russia annexed in 2014, did not report the incident.

But it said traffic was halted this week and border guards appeared to be on “heightened alert”.

In its statement on Wednesday, the FSB – which controls Russia’s borders – said it had “foiled terrorist attacks on the territory of Crimea prepared by the intelligence directorate of the Ukrainian defence ministry”.

It said the aim of the sabotage and terrorist attacks was to destabilise the social and political situation before elections in September in Russia and Crimea.

The security agency said several people had been detained, including a Ukrainian military intelligence officer, and a cache of explosives was discovered in raids on Saturday and Sunday.

“On the night of 8 August 2016 special operations forces from the Ukrainian defence ministry carried out two more attempts to make a breakthrough by sabotage-terrorist groups,” it said.

The assault included “massive firing from the side of the neighbouring state and armoured vehicles” but was beaten back by the Russian authorities, the statement said.

Russia seized the Black Sea region from Ukraine in March 2014 after the Kremlin-backed president Viktor Yanukovych was ousted by pro-EU protests in Kiev.

The move shattered ties between the two ex-Soviet neighbours and resulted in relations between Moscow and the west plummeting to their lowest point since the cold war.

The FSB said it had stepped up security measures around the peninsula following the alleged incidents.

Apparently that group they got contained actual member of Ukrainian armed forces, and part of group that fled into Ukraine was supported by heavy weaponry from Ukrainian side.

FSB said..... blablabla, sorry but Russias credibility is at 0, even if it were true, ukranians trying to blow up infrastructure in ukraine isnt much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    FSB said..... blablabla, sorry but Russias credibility is at 0, even if it were true, ukranians trying to blow up infrastructure in ukraine isnt much of an issue.
    Actually terror acts against your own territory are arguably a lot more despicable then "fair reprisal toward someone you're fighting".

And saying that FSB would get one border guard and one of their own killed in some kind of "false flag" against Ukraine is laughable conspiracy theory.

So, this is an article about Russian propaganda? I don't get the point of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So, this is an article about Russian propaganda? I don't get the point of this.
    Just Ukraine trying to stir shit before elections (Russian, US, possibly both).

...using their actual armed forces members on Russian territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Just Ukraine trying to stir shit before elections (Russian, US, possibly both).

...using their actual armed forces members on Russian territory.
    Why would the US get involved in this? I don't follow you at all...

Actually terror acts against your own territory are arguably a lot more despicable then "fair reprisal toward someone you're fighting".

And saying that FSB would get one border guard and one of their own killed in some kind of "false flag" against Ukraine is laughable conspiracy theory.
    Just as laughable as ordering the shelling of it's own troops near Finnish border, just to claim "omg look Finland attacks! WAR!!" That kind of? Russia has already proven to do such things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    I struggle to think of a less credible source in the world than FSB.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Just as laughable as ordering the shelling of it's own troops near Finnish border, just to claim "omg look Finland attacks! WAR!!" That kind of? Russia has already proven to do such things.
    Right, and Americans practised segregation at that time too (and at about same relevance).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I struggle to think of a less credible source in the world than FSB.
    Any Ukrainian media seems to fit the bill.

How often did you actually see FSB claiming something that wasn't true to make this assumption?

10+ Year Old Account
    Any Ukrainian media seems to fit the bill.

How often did you actually see FSB claiming something that wasn't true to make this assumption?
    I mean, FSB is a revamped KGB. Its trustworthiness is on the level of North Korean security. And even that was effectively established by KGB agents, so... Yeah, I can't think of anything less trustworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FSB
    The aim of this subversive activity and terrorist acts was to destabilize the socio-political situation in the region

The assault included “massive firing from the side of the neighbouring state and armoured vehicles” "
    This could be written about Putin's subversion of Ukraine in the Donbass. Except that led to around 10,000 deaths, not two.

I mean, FSB is a revamped KGB. Its trustworthiness is on the level of North Korean security.
    Actually, no. KGB had a lot more things to going then FSB (which is mostly involved in internal security, like FBI), and KGB was split into different branches (which remain competing to this day) exactly so that it would not be all-encompassing behemoth that can control anything and anyone, internally or abroad.

And even that was effectively established by KGB agents, so... Yeah, I can't think of anything less trustworthy.
    So, you have no instances of known lies, it's all "just because it was named KGB when Soviet Union still existed".

Yeah, thought so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    This could be written about Putin's subversion of Ukraine in the Donbass. Except that led to around 10,000 deaths, not two.
    Ukrainians were quite capable to do all those deaths on their own (and they did).

I mean, FSB is a revamped KGB. Its trustworthiness is on the level of North Korean security. And even that was effectively established by KGB agents, so... Yeah, I can't think of anything less trustworthy.
    We already know that you are rusophobic but what the other guy actually asked you was this " Can you give us examples of when FSB said something that was no true?"

Instead of talking out of your rear and we all know you can, please do us a huge favorite and come up with some constructive evidence.

Thank you

So you acknowledge that Crimea is still a part of Ukraine, and didn't join Russia legitimately?

Huh.

Did you know that Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic Found Not Guilty of War Crimes? yee that kind of war
    Did you know that no weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq ? yee that kind of war

USA so honest, just like Bill Clinton about his sexual relationship with that woman.

Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    So you acknowledge that Crimea is still a part of Ukraine, and didn't join Russia legitimately?
    Huh.
    You're stretching it quite a bit.

"Fair reprisal" has nothing to do with "Crimea still being part of Ukraine"; and certainly Donbass/Luhansk are a lot more worthy reasons for "reprisals" then Crimea (where just one person died in something somewhat related to Crimean takeover).

In fact the opposite is true - by trying to do terror acts in Crimea Ukraine acknowledges that Crimea is no longer Ukrainian.

Quote Originally Posted by bagamuti View Post
    Did you know that Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic Found Not Guilty of War Crimes? yee that kind of war
    Did you know that no weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq ? yee that kind of war

USA so honest, just like Bill Clinton about his sexual relationship with that woman.
    Did you know that the thread has nothing to do with USA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

US so far were supporting current Ukrainian government, influencing IMF to allow them keep lending to those failing to pay sovereign debt (while acknowledging that 3bn Ukraine owes Russia is indeed sovereign debt), and flying US officials each time they needed to pass IMF-related laws through Ukrainian Rada.

So... not really "nothing to do".

Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post

Huh.
    lets liberate our people by blowing them up! what a great idea!! yee no wonder 95% of people voted to leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you know that you bring 0 value to the discussion ?