Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How many more WOW expansions are there gonna be?

Do you think Blizzard plans to keep this game going?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korban View Post
    Do you think Blizzard plans to keep this game going?
    Many more, and yes

Several more I'm sure though the next one probably won't be out until spring 2018 at the earliest.

For as long as they can keep going for. They said at a BlizzCon (Pretty sure it was the last one) that they have the expansion after Legion already getting worked on and this was a year roughly before Legion was coming out (Dont think the date had been announced actually). So they are finally starting to understand how they should be making WoW it seems like. So hopefully we get a lot of good things out of Legion and following expansions

10+ Year Old Account
    They will continue to make expansions until it ceases to be profitable, which likely won't be for a very long time.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Hope not anymore if they just keep going "HERP DERP LVL TIME" every damn exspansion.....

Also paying extrea money sucks ass...they already getting my money even if you wait for sale on exspansion + the hole wow token for gold is still income for blizzard...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    About tree fiddy

Many.

10chars
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

It depends on how Legion will hold up. If it turns into another WoD then maybe 1 or 2 expansions, if it turns out decent then they just make more till its no longer profitable.

Deleted
    how many will be? 10 more
    How many should be? None. It's time for wow 2 to repair the complete and utter clusterf**k that is the leveling experience, and generally bring the gameplay closer to modern trends.

Until they stop making money. They will release legacy servers before its over with anyway. Cant wait

There's no point in ever doing "WoW II" or anything like that because you can always just evolve the current WoW into whatever you want it to be, so as long as they are making money at it, and as long as it's a core piece of intellectual property that they base other things on (the movie, Hearthstone, etc.) then it makes sense to just keep going.

But they have come close to losing their way as people got tired of working on it and all wanted to work on other "new" games because WoW was "old and boring". People there tried to argue that the death of WoW was natural as all products have a life cycle and the players were done with WoW and it was time to move on. But then 10,000,000 people came out of the woodwork when WoD was announced and showed that there was still a huge demand for what people hoped WoW could still be, and they have now been playing catch-up having realized that maybe WoW isn't the un-cool old thing they thought it was. The movie will also have helped to make working on WoW cool again.

If WoW fails then it will be because Blizzard failed to keep it fresh and something people want to play. The lore and world of WoW are open-ended and the potential is limitless. Anything that's possible to imagine doing in a fantasy MMOG can be done in WoW, it's just that they have to be smart and keep up the innovation.

At some point it will make sense to bring in some new blood to help design and develop the game. People with new ideas who love the WoW world and are excited to evolve it into a next generation experience for the next generation of players.

If Blizzard works hard they will succeed wildly. If they get lazy again and just keep making cookie-cutter expansions then people will get bored eventually and at some point there won't be enough players left to justify it.

At least one has been confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by LupinRaedwulf View Post
    They said at a BlizzCon (Pretty sure it was the last one) that they have the expansion after Legion already getting worked on and this was a year roughly before Legion was coming out (Dont think the date had been announced actually). So they are finally starting to understand how they should be making WoW it seems like.
    Uh...what?

They've ALWAYS been working on the next expansion, before/while the current one. Cata was in development before WOTLK released. MoP was in development before Cata released. etc. etc.

That's just how software lifecycles work. It's not specific to Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    There's no point in ever doing "WoW II" or anything like that because you can always just evolve the current WoW into whatever you want it to be, so as long as they are making money at it, and as long as it's a core piece of intellectual property that they base other things on (the movie, Hearthstone, etc.) then it makes sense to just keep going.
    I hate to be "That guy" but they've stated the coding of legacy wow made it where they can't really improve on much without breaking it. It gives a reason to create a "WoW II" because if they can't fix hard coded issues then there are flaws in the coding itself and should be updated... eventually. They stated that the most known issue with this is the backpack. They said we "Might" see a change with it in legion but if they can't even change that in the coding then there are some large issues. This alone is a good reason for them to come up with a new engine or something of improvement. then they can migrate whatever info they want if they wanted it to still just be WoW instead of a second.

A second note is that with Anduin's comic the spoiled a few things at the end, unless they intend to keep filling juicy meat in the middle, I believe that comic gave us the end game situation lore wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    how many will be? 10 more
    How many should be? None. It's time for wow 2 to repair the complete and utter clusterf**k that is the leveling experience, and generally bring the gameplay closer to modern trends.
    I agree. WoW 2 is the way to go. Give "legacy" players some good shit (in the new game) for playing WoW 1 ... keep WoW 1 running (even with a few patches and new content here and there but no more levels, skills, etc ... like EQ1).

Let's let Blizzard take a stab at a "next gen" MMO!! The sandboxier, the better!

I honestly think that Legion will be the last of the "big" expansions.

Now I say that because ive said this before, but ill repeat it just again for humors sake.

This is my take on it:

I think blizzard knows wow is a tired old mule that can only carry on for so long. Granted they've made some massive technological leaps and bounds lately with WoD and Legion that let them tell their cinematic storytelling much more efficently but the actual game itself, is old.

WoW, is running its final course.

WoW is like Legion, a last great light before the final darkness that swallows it whole. It cant rise again from where WoD crippled it, and Legion may not necessarily be enough to keep it floating forever.

Legion will help it survive, it will do a great job, an amazing job, of being probably one of the best lore based expansions fans ever wanted. But gameplay might be another issue entirley.

How many times do you want to keep raiding? How many times do you intend to keep doing mythic dungeons?

The issue does not lie with what Legion does offer, its what WoW itself doesnt that cripples Legion internally.

WoW is old, too old, blizzard knows this, and this is why I think they will shift from "big" expansions, after Legion to more DLC sized content they can produce more regularly with less quality as time goes on.

Basically, it will become a streamline process of one expansion per year with maybe 3 new zones, very little new content if any save maybe a new class, sub-race or something like that, but more consistant content, better story quality, better focus on the story itself.

The story will probably be the highlight of future expansions, but the content itself? Lacking.

Blizzard in my mind is probably going to announce Warcraft 4 this year, or next. They have finished SC2 and they know very well people "want" Warcraft 4, and I suspect from there, they will build the foundation for WoW 2.

WoW's biggest failing is its namesake. Nearly every person thats a PC gamer has "heard" of WoW and the issue is, newcommers, such as the 12+ kiddies who want to get into it, feel intimidated by the sheer amount of content WoW has to offer them.

WoW 2 gives the game what it really needs, a FRESH perspective. WoW 2 can lean AWAY from traditional raiding, AWAY from dungeon farming, away from the traditions of current genre mmo's and move into something more risky and exciting, something that appeals to the next gen of gamers.

And I think Blizzard, will exploit Warcraft 4, to do it.

WoW itself, will become a game for the older fans, designed for the purpose of being a Hardcore fans dream come true, with all the focus being entirley on dungeons/raiding and story content. While WoW 2 will become a game, a game designed for generation 4.0 from Warcraft 4's era and anyone that gets interested in WoW through hearthstone/overwatch advert promotions etc etc.

That, is how WoW will end.

Not a dying death, not a tragic despair or doom, but rather...

Expansions will slowly fade out, not end, but fade out. Until eventually blizzard just "stops" making new content for the game, and decides to wrap it up with one final conclusion.

Blizzard can't leave a money maker like wow....so it's continue for sure

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    I honestly think that Legion will be the last of the "big" expansions.
    It was already stated that they are working on the expansion after legion and have many ideas and concepts for the expansions after that so I doubt that ;-)

How many times do you want to keep raiding? How many times do you intend to keep doing mythic dungeons?
    From my point of view for many, many years. As long as there are new dungeons and new raids and ways to progress my character (leveling, equipping, artifact talents etc.)

WoW is old, too old, blizzard knows this,
    See, the problem is here, that you are making things up. What exactly makes you believe, that WoW is too old? By the way, the answer "the graphic engine" is wrong, because even IF they could completely upgrade the graphic engine, the visual look would not change that much, because it is the art style that people assoziate with WoW. This is not Black Dessert.

The story will probably be the highlight of future expansions, but the content itself? Lacking.
    This can not work, because in that case they will just sell boxes and lose the constant subcribers that they are currently having - not a good plan.

They have finished SC2 and they know very well people "want" Warcraft 4, and I suspect from there, they will build the foundation for WoW 2.
    This another point were you are making assumptions. I am doing the same now and say: People do not want Warcraft 4, they want World of Warcraft.
    Also there is a big problem with WoW 2: While it MAY attract new players, it will lose a lot of the playerbase from WoW. Many people care for their characters and if they can not play them in this new "WoW 2" anymore, than those people will just stop playing.
    Don't get me wrong, this could totally still be a valid route they want to take and they could end up making way more money than now. But the problem is: There is risk involved. A lot of risk. If the new WoW 2 is not perfect in every aspect AND brings players together like WoW did on a social aspect, it will fail like nearly every other mmorpg out there. So why take this risk if you are making a lot of money already?

WoW's biggest failing is its namesake. Nearly every person thats a PC gamer has "heard" of WoW and the issue is, newcommers, such as the 12+ kiddies who want to get into it, feel intimidated by the sheer amount of content WoW has to offer them.
    Did you ever play another MMORPG? There is really no game out there that makes it so easy for newcommers to get into the game as WoW. Not even close. E.g. look at Final Fantasy 14, which is a great game, but even as someone who plays wow since beta and who played a lot of other mmos, I'll have to say: To get REALLY into the game is way, way more complicated than in WoW today.

WoW 2 gives the game what it really needs, a FRESH perspective. WoW 2 can lean AWAY from traditional raiding, AWAY from dungeon farming, away from the traditions of current genre mmo's and move into something more risky and exciting, something that appeals to the next gen of gamers.
    Again 2 points:
    1. You are saying it yourself: Something risky. Taking risks is fine, but taking unnessary risks is just dumb.
    2. Blizzard already has 3 new games that cater to the next generation of gamer: Hearthstone, Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. All of those games have exactly what the current generation likes: Fast paced games, nearly no time investment needed, easy to learn, sometimes hard to master, F2P or P2P models with a lot of DLCs zu spend more money if you like. Ok, so now you already have people who like this kind of game design and they play your games. But you ALSO have the last generation, who like more depth, has a problem with DLCs, likes so spend hours at a time in a digital world and loves to tackle adventures in a bigger social construct like raiding in a guild. Why would abandon this last group to get even more people from the first group?

[quote]
    WoW itself, will become a game for the older fans, designed for the purpose of being a Hardcore fans dream come true, with all the focus being entirley on dungeons/raiding and story content. While WoW 2 will become a game, a game designed for generation 4.0 from Warcraft 4's era and anyone that gets interested in WoW through hearthstone/overwatch advert promotions etc etc.
    [/qoute]
    WoW2 will not work as long as WoW is still running. This games can not exists next to each other, because one of the main aspects of WoW, the social constructs, will be shattered. If a WoW 2 comes, WoWs foundations will shatter and the players will leave.

Though the Blizzard earnings call didn't provide numbers, they did say Legion pre-sales were on track with past expansions. That would point to a trend of 10 million + in total sales, and even if all of those people only stay on average 2-3 months, and maybe come back for another 1-2 months for patches... well you can do the math, but that alone would give any company the confidence to green light the next 2 expansions easily.