Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mistake in DH leveling zones?

Warning! Spoilers for the Demon Hunter leveling zones below!

There's something I've noticed in the Demon Hunter leveling zone.
    The quest "Enter the Illidari: Shivarra" has the player make a choice between 2 options:

1. Sacrifice the blood elf standing at the altar
    2. Sacrifice yourself

When you pick option 1, nothing special happens. The quest simply concludes.
    If you choose option 2 however, your character dies. Upon spawning as a spirit at the nearby spirit healer you get a prompt from Illidan, telling you how you must have an "immortal soul" like he does (a soul like that of a demon).

My problem with this is as follows:
    The quest takes place on Mardum. This is very significant since it's pretty much the most fel infused planet to have ever existed (to the point where it "appeared in the distant reaches of the Great Dark as a burning star"[1]).

We know 1 thing about the immortal soul of a demon: If a demon dies while in the twisting nether or a location heavily overflowing with fel energy, the soul dies permanently[1].

So, considering our Demon Hunter died in a location extremely saturated with fel energies (literally volcanoes and rivers of fel), why does our Demon Hunters soul not perish completely?

Sources:
    [1]: World of Warcraft Chronicles Volume 1 pg. 23
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess they forgot everyone has an immortal soul.

maybe Fel is not what it takes to kill a demon???

I mean, it was said that they can be killed on the world which is saturated with Nether energies.

so either there are other Nether energies that we don't know about or its a big plot hole.

7+ Year Old Account
    Welp, gottem.

Whats the reason player characters can rez and lore characters cannot? Lets just ignore it pls.

I know it's a weak excuse, but maybe demon hunters are not that demonic? Like, halfway there, but still don't have what it takes to be a demon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Whats the reason player characters can rez and lore characters cannot? Lets just ignore it pls.
    PCs are just mostly dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Lore characters can and have revived people in the past. The only reason we can do it that often is for gameplay reasons, but that's only an alteration to the frequency of revives. Revives are still lore friendly.

Also, ingame revives occur often and this is why the "gameplay reasons" argument works. With a once in a game event like this (Illidan making direct statements on the players death and soul) it's pretty important that it works within lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    I know it's a weak excuse, but maybe demon hunters are not that demonic? Like, halfway there, but still don't have what it takes to be a demon.
    Except Illidan explicitly states that the player character has an "Immortal soul" like he does. And we know that Illidan's soul is a demonic one, since that's what pretty much the whole return of Illidan is based upon.
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Deleted
    This is known since early alpha. Conclusion? Demon Hunters are Daywalkers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Except Illidan explicitly states that the player character has an "Immortal soul" like he does. And we know that Illidan's soul is a demonic one, since that's what pretty much the whole return of Illidan is based upon.
    In that case the answer is the same with how Illidan's soul have survived. Outland is saturated with fel energies as well, though admittedly, not as much as Marduum.
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    This is known since early alpha. Conclusion? Demon Hunters are Daywalkers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I would have actually accepted the argument of "they're close to Illidan in terms of how demonic they've become, but not enough to have a demonic soul". But the fact that they have Illidan himself explicitly point out the status of your soul really irks me. Seems very sloppy of them.

It does seem like a bit of a plot hole, unfortunately.

I'm just going to headcanon it that Demon Hunters have the perfect mix of demonic/mortal souls that let them return from death in spite of fel infestation.

In that case the answer is the same with how Illidan's soul have survived. Outland is saturated with fel energies as well, though admittedly, not as much as Marduum.
    That's actually a really good point. Could be because of how the Wardens imprisoned him? I think they seal both his body and soul in the big green gem that Gul'Dan breaks open.

Deleted
    Heck, he died in front of a fel volcano.

10+ Year Old Account
    IIRC, the mardum that we are in it's just a piece of the real mardum. Sargeras split the planet open, and we are standing in a very small piece of it. So it might not have that much Fel energy. Other reason might be that our soul is sacrificed in order to open the gateway, so it might have been sent somewhere else, or you just managed to do what you had to do because your soul is strong enough to withstand that amount of fel.

All of those are kind of a stretch, with the first one being the exception (Source:Kayn says that), and even that one... Sadly it does look like a plothole.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

I think the "Spirit Healer" npcs are the renegade Valkyrs of Hel, I saw that written somewhere I can't remember where so Spirit Healers ARE canon - and I think Azuregos was dating one at a time.

So PC resurrections ARE canon. No idea why the PC Demon Hunter doesn't die a final death tho, beacuse all the other demons on Mardum do. That's the point of Illidan's assault on Legion worlds; to permanently kill them.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    That's actually a really good point. Could be because of how the Wardens imprisoned him? I think they seal both his body and soul in the big green gem that Gul'Dan breaks open.
    But when you sacrifice yourself in Marduum the green gem isn't used. The circumstances of PC's death and Illidan's aren't the same.

Deleted
    I wonder if we're going to see that DH in the class hall ever again or if him standing in the camp on Mardum was the last time we see him

Deleted
    Plot Armor

Deleted
    I dont think Mardum is part of the nether