Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Post Uppgraded pc worse fps (wow)

Hello!

So i recently uppgraded my cpu, gpu and ram however In World of Warcaft I get worse fps.
    Old specs were i5-4670k at 4,5Ghz a GTX 760 and 8GB ram, and my new specs are a Xeon E5-2630v3 at 2,5Ghz a GTX 1070 and 16GB ram.
    I remember getting about 70 fps avrage with everything maxed and no aa on 1080p.

However now I only get 28fps everything maxed and max AA and 38fps with everything set to low with no aa 1080p

Are there any optimization tips you can give me, or is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarel View Post
    Hello!

So i recently uppgraded my cpu, gpu and ram however In World of Warcaft I get worse fps.
    Old specs were i5-4670k at 4,5Ghz a GTX 760 and 8GB ram, and my new specs are a Xeon E5-2630v3 at 2,5Ghz a GTX 1070 and 16GB ram.
    I remember getting about 70 fps avrage with everything maxed and no aa on 1080p.

However now I only get 28fps everything maxed and max AA and 38fps with everything set to low with no aa 1080p

Are there any optimization tips you can give me, or is this normal?

Thanks in advance!
    You severely downgraded your CPU there. Just take the 1070 and put it in your old system.

You downgraded your CPU massively for WoW @OP. That Xeon is not useful at all for the vast majority of games. More cores =/= better. For games, like WoW, that use majority single, or few, cores - higher core clocks are better.

who advised you to buy that cpu as an upgrade? lol

You had a good CPU to begin with, why didn't you just upgrade the GPU?

As the rest are saying, more cores in WoW will get you practically nothing.

In gaming, single thread performance is almost everything.

This is why the K-series i5 chips are popular. They're overclockable, and 4 cores is about the sweet spot for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Remember, WoW is a single threaded CPU bound game. Did you honestly think cutting your clock rate by 2Ghz would do anything but decrease your frame rate?
    Nonsense. Wow uses 3-4 threads since WoD. Clock speed is still very important, but try playing it on a dual core (GLHF).

In your config.wtf file add the line SET processAffinityMask "21845" you then use 8 cores/16 threads in wow

15+ Year Old Account
    Who conned you into shelling for a Xeon?

Sell that shit, buy a second GTX 1070 and dump your new RAM and 2x GFX card in with your old MB/CPU. Maybe spend the 200 EUR change on something nice.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    Nonsense. Wow uses 3-4 threads since WoD. Clock speed is still very important, but try playing it on a dual core (GLHF).
    The graphics portion is handled by 1 core, and is why 1 core will max out while the others are barely used. Stop spreading misinformation.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP:

The single core performance of your new chip is pathetic.

Have fun scrolling down to find it:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

It only scores 1709, to help you find it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post

Sell that shit, buy a second GTX 1070 and dump your new RAM and 2x GFX card in with your old MB/CPU. Maybe spend the 200 EUR change on something nice.
    My xeon is really fast. I play at 7 in 1440p and invasions are the only thing that slows it down. 30+ fps is playable though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post

'' Who conned you into shelling xx'' and you tell him to get a second 1070 for a 1080p game, uhu xD

And that's why you don't need 8 cores, specially if they are 2 GHz slower

... okay. My wife plays it on a Core i3 4160.

Gets the same framerates i do on a Core i7 4790K.

its almost like there are hundreds of benchmarks that prove you wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    ... okay. My wife plays it on a Core i3 4160.

Gets the same framerates i do on a Core i7 4790K.

its almost like there are hundreds of benchmarks that prove you wrong.
    You do not need benchmarks. Simply look at each cores usage while playing, and if she gets the same FPS in an intensive raid environment, something is wrong with your system. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    The graphics portion is handled by 1 core, and is why 1 core will max out while the others are barely used. Stop spreading misinformation.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP:

The single core performance of your new chip is pathetic.

Have fun scrolling down to find it:
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

It only scores 1709, to help you find it easier.
    Stop spreading misinformation, WoW benefits from quad cores. Try playing it on a Skylake i3 compared to a Skylake i5 at the same clock speeds, the I5 will always win, though obviously you haven't bothered to test this yourself.

Deleted
    Or just shut off your additional cores and see what happens to your FPS. WoW may not be a terribly well designed game for the use of multi-cores (maybe that has something to do with blizzard insisting the game to be playable on low-tier hardware), but just because it isn't draining all it can from the additional cores doesn't mean you're not gaining significant performance from them.

Of course, buying a CPU with a clock speed from 2008 won't ever make up for its loss of clockspeed even with 7 additional cores. But then, I don't think there's a game in the world where it does.

Stop spreading misinformation, WoW benefits from quad cores. Try playing it on a Skylake i3 compared to a Skylake i5 at the same clock speeds, the I5 will always win, though obviously you haven't bothered to test this yourself.
    None of which changes the fact that the graphics portion is handled primarily by 1 core, and the single core performance of a CPU is more important than number of cores, which is what this thread is about. The other cores are used primarily for menial tasks in-game.

The i5 having 50% more bandwidth has more to do with the difference than anything.

If number of cores were the main thing, the OPs CPU would romp. It is more about single core performance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NotAddicted View Post
    Or just shut off your additional cores and see what happens to your FPS. WoW may not be a terribly well designed game for the use of multi-cores (maybe that has something to do with blizzard insisting the game to be playable on low-tier hardware), but just because it isn't draining all it can from the additional cores doesn't mean you're not gaining significant performance from them.

Of course, buying a CPU with a clock speed from 2008 won't ever make up for its loss of clockspeed even with 7 additional cores. But then, I don't think there's a game in the world where it does.
    WoW struggles when 1 core maxes out. Of course it will max out sooner and more often with fewer cores. However, the performance of each core is what drives how well your PC handles WoW. The reason you see dips in FPS in heavy raid environments is because 1 core is maxing out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    My xeon is really fast. I play at 7 in 1440p and invasions are the only thing that slows it down. 30+ fps is playable though.
    And how much did your Xeon/GPU cost compared to my i5 (280 euro) + GTX 1070 (520 euro) which plays on 10 with max shadows and custom AA at 1440 (downscaled to 1080) at 70-120 FPS?
    Last edited by Hottage; 2016-08-12 at 12:50 PM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Jarel View Post
    i5-4670k at 4,5Ghz...Xeon E5-2630v3 at 2,5Ghz

There is your answer, 2Ghz less