Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Canada police 'kill suspect in anti-terror operation'

Source

Police have shot dead a suspect in an anti-terror operation in the Canadian province of Ontario.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) confirmed that a suspect was fatally shot in a police operation.

Canadian media said police had raided a property in Strathroy, about 225km (140 miles) south-west of Toronto.

They named the suspect as Aaron Driver, 24, who was arrested last year for openly supporting so-called Islamic State on social media.
    'Potential threat'

A senior police official told the Canadian Press news agency the suspect had allegedly planned to carry out a suicide bombing in a public area.

An internal government memo seen by the CTV network said his alleged plan was to use a homemade bomb to create mass casualties.

An earlier The RCMP statement said it had received "credible information of a potential terrorist threat".

"A suspect was identified and the proper course of action has been taken to ensure that there is no danger to the public's safety," it added.

"As this is still an unfolding matter and the investigation is still under way, we are not able to provide further comment at this time."

CBC News said Aaron Driver's family had confirmed his death.

It said police had told the family Driver had detonated an explosive device, injuring himself and another person.

Driver had been intending to detonate a second device and that was why police had shot him, the report said.

Leonard Tailleur, Driver's former lawyer, said it was "absolutely shocking" to hear about what happened.

Mr Tailleur, who represented Driver in 2015 and early 2016, said his client had never indicated he would engage in terrorist activities.

"He was such a passive individual. He was not an aggressive person," he told the Globe and Mail.
    Who is Aaron Driver?

• A 24-year-old living in Ontario known to Canadian police as an IS sympathiser
    • Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) first learned of him when he tweeted support for IS under the alias Harun Abdurahman in October 2014
    • Arrested last June in Winnipeg over concerns of his online activities, but never formally charged
    • Agreed to a peace bond to limit his activities, which included no use of firearms, a cell phone, computer or social media and no communications with IS

Driver, a Muslim convert, came to the authorities' attention in 2014 for tweeting in support of IS, using the alias Harun Abdourahman.

He was taken into custody and interrogated by police in July 2015 over concerns he would become involved in planning an attack.

He was not charged but released on bail and had to wear a GPS ankle bracelet and undergo religious counselling, according to the CBC.

The electronic tag was removed in February when he agreed to the terms of a court order limiting his activities because there were reasonable grounds to believe he might aid a terror group or terrorist activity.

He was not allowed to have a computer or mobile phone until the end of August and was banned from social media sites and from contacting IS or any other militant groups, the Winnipeg Free Press reports.

All the conditions of the bond were due to expire in December - and no trial was planned.
    Wow, why do terrorist hate Canada?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    And why can't Canada get its police under control?

We were named as an enemy of ISIS a few years ago. I'm assuming that's because of our close relationship with the US and involvement in Afghanistan. Then we started preforming military operations in their region.

And what the hell is religious counselling? I mean if he wasn't a religious fanatic before, surely this would push him over the edge.

Good stuff, kill them all.

They dont like anyone having fun or having any kind of freedom, that's why they show up to childrens football 'games and blow themselves up for example , or perhaps they are jealous that other people are living amazing lives and they dont. Could be why they are in such a ruch to die so they can have their 72 raisins.

15+ Year Old Account
    They hate people having a good time - nothing wounds ISIS deeper than knowing we're over here living our lives like they don't matter and hardly exist.

It's the same reason they like to attack France, one of them goes to France and sees families sitting in cafes on the promenade, eating croissant and chatting and laughing. ISIS wants to destroy something beautiful.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Umm... if a suspect detonating bombs isn't a good enough reason to shoot the suspect, then what the fuck is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Terrorists hate everyone. They're scum.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    In a previous post you defend the US police shooting an unarmed (black) teenager for car-theft. If this story is accurate then shooting a man for detonating one bomb and about to detonate a 2nd one seems a lot more legit to me ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bildur View Post
    In a previous post you defend the US police shooting an unarmed (black) teenager for car-theft. If this story is accurate then shooting a man for detonating one bomb and about to detonate a 2nd one seems a lot more legit to me ;-)
    It's a bit anecdotal but there is this Canadian version of Cops show that was on Netflix for about a month I watched. From what I could tell the Canadian police were way more "violent" in the use of force to subdue individuals. Just in general what I viewed were things that you could never get away with in America, choking already handcuffed individuals, literally until they had no breathe and were flailing around, they were quicker to strike suspects to bring them into compliance, generally American police don't strike and are more prone to wrestle and overpower, use joint manipulation to gain compliance.

It was way different than I imagined, then again my opinion of Canada is based entirely off of Canadian Bacon and Strange Brew.

They laughed at the mouse so we tightened the noose!

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    It's a bit anecdotal but there is this Canadian version of Cops show that was on Netflix for about a month I watched. From what I could tell the Canadian police were way more "violent" in the use of force to subdue individuals. Just in general what I viewed were things that you could never get away with in America, choking already handcuffed individuals, literally until they had no breathe and were flailing around, they were quicker to strike suspects to bring them into compliance, generally American police don't strike and are more prone to wrestle and overpower, use joint manipulation to gain compliance.

It was way different than I imagined, then again my opinion of Canada is based entirely off of Canadian Bacon and Strange Brew.
    Somehow I think in terms of magnitude striking a suspect is not as bad as just shooting them.

Why didn't the mounties just send a moose after the terrorist
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I wonder how long before some ignorant fuck blames refugees...
    When in doubt. Derp it out.

Good deal, stack 'em ten feet high. This clowns ineptitude makes it even more amusing.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Somehow I think in terms of magnitude striking a suspect is not as bad as just shooting them.
    Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Police interaction that end in shootings are incredibly rare. You have more of a chance of being struck by lightning in a mall while being attacked by a shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Umm... if a suspect detonating bombs isn't a good enough reason to shoot the suspect, then what the fuck is?
    #SuspectLivesMatter

GJ Mounties, doing what should be done.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, this was geographically not very far from my home(Markham, for any Ontarians).

We should have put this guy, and any other terrorists in an inclosed arena with 2 dozen bull moose during the rutting season, and soak them in wolf urine, as punishment.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    They can try and sue you for causing bodily harm, but most of the time a case like that would get thrown out of court as cops are well within their right to strike a suspect, however lethal force via a gun is often a last resort, when the life of an officer is in significant danger. That is the difference between Canadian police and American cops.

toronto seems it would be a prime target for terrorist attacks. 4th largest city in NA and a culture of being blindly tolerant and nice. I'm surprised some Good Samaritan didn't help him try to detonate the second device.

"Oh you're trying to get that to work,eh? Let me give you a hand"

Add in Trudeau and Tennisface are arguing to fly in mass amounts of immigrants/terrorists, won't be long before someone really does something horrific.