Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Let's talk healer!

Hey,

Legion is upon us and I wonder what is a solid mythic healer comp?
    Atm my guild will use R.Schami, 2x Resto Druid and Holy Paladin. The GM of my Guild urges us to change one of the Resto Druid to a Holy Priest because they would be so good (I actually don't see that). What is with MW Monk in this whole picture. What is in your opinion the perfect comp?

Quote Originally Posted by Lykurgos View Post
    Hey,

Legion is upon us and I wonder what is a solid mythic healer comp?
    Atm my guild will use R.Schami, 2x Resto Druid and Holy Paladin. The GM of my Guild urges us to change one of the Resto Druid to a Holy Priest because they would be so good (I actually don't see that). What is with MW Monk in this whole picture. What is in your opinion the perfect comp?
    The utility the the Holy Priest brings (10 seconds casting with no mana cost, and a boost in Healing during Hymm, Guardian) might be kind of essential. Not saying it can't be done without them, as I have no idea what their output is compared to others, but it is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Whispurr View Post
    The utility the the Holy Priest brings (10 seconds casting with no mana cost, and a boost in Healing during Hymm, Guardian) might be kind of essential. Not saying it can't be done without them, as I have no idea what their output is compared to others, but it is best.
    I think the utility of a Holy Priest looks better on paper then it actually is. Yeah Hymn of Hope is nice but is has a 6 Minutes cooldown so it will see one use in the entire fight, i don't know if thats actually that good. Divine Hymn is imo outclassed by Tranq by a mile and Guardian it gives no dmg reduction what so ever just 40% more heal, yeah thats nice and if it's not used it only has 90 seconds cooldown but i kinda value Ironbark higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm keeping the same healers I brought to Draenor. 1 Druid, 1 Shaman, 1 Paladin and 1 Disc Priest.
    | Mokenuf | Varianna | Devona | Katzine | Gokkash | Vëcna | Shaggra | Snookí | Vekuh | Segath | Zhìyù | Sierenna | Tyranikus |

I never see MW monks mentioned. Are they underperformers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fercho750 View Post
    I never see MW monks mentioned. Are they underperformers?
    Not really, they just dont bring anything unique to the table. Having one of your healers be MW will work fine as they put out solid HPS, but so far it seems theres no situation where you would go "damn, having a MW monk would make this fight so much easier".

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Chrispotter made a video on the Youtube channel of Method.
    His ranking:
    1. Resto Druid
    2. Holy Paladin
    3. Resto Shaman
    4. Holy Priest
    5. Mistweaver Monk
    6. Disc Priest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwa0RO5ua_A
    I really enjoyed that video!
    I don't know why people keep bringing this up. The video contains only his own opinions with really vague explanations on the ranking.

It's not about who is the best healer, more about wich Mythic-Raid Healer Comp will bring the best benefits to the raid and will be effective
    Last edited by Lykurgos; 2016-08-13 at 09:44 PM.

His ranking:
    1. Resto Druid
    2. Holy Paladin
    3. Resto Shaman
    4. Holy Priest
    5. Mistweaver Monk
    6. Disc Priest

Please stop spreading the misinformation this video contain. It's completely outdated already and was never accurate when it was released.

now to OP, just keep the comp you got, resto druid is really good, being the strongest in everything basically, and he's even more mobile now that he can use tranq while moving.

BUT if your gm only wants big ass hps, a MW monk is really competitive at this, while having the strongest tank CD in the game which is a thing you might lack with your comp

also, if you want the highest aoe output in a burst phase, the monk and the disc priest have the highest right now, just give them an innervate and they can do the healing of a tranquility without using a cd. (if they play properly ofc)
    Last edited by Tiphess; 2016-08-13 at 10:04 PM.

Because I think his opinion carries more weight than the opinion of someone with 20 posts on MMO-C.
    An officer from Method probably knows what he is talking about.
    Didn't he get left behind when Method's "good" players went and formed Serenity?

Regardless, he's pretty spot on. Everyone heals for roughly the same in Legion (R.Sham and Disc a little lower) so utility is what matters. Resto Shaman brings a ton. Holy Priest and Mistweaver bring basically nothing.

For Holy Priests (I don't play Mistweaver): As mentioned above Divine Hymn is completely outclassed by Tranquility which doesn't require your other healers to spend mana to make use of the secondary benefit and can be cast on the move. Guardian Spirit is of questionable use and the talent that reduces it to a 90 second cooldown is outclassed by both other talents in the tier. Symbol of Hope *at best* buys your healers another 20 seconds of sustain, maybe 30 seconds if used during a bloodlust but bloodlust is rarely used during heal intensive moments. So yeah, if you get to the point that you're wiping due to healers oom'ing and just need another 15 seconds to down the boss that's great. But you could also just have another Aura Mastery with half the cooldown that probably prevents your healers from needing to spend that mana in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    Try to take in your tanks, as well as your raid comp, into consideration. Do your tanks need more CDs from other players, or are they better at self sustaining? If they are decent at self sustaining, you might want to opt for more of a raid healer than a tank healer. Maybe you have a lot of clothies coming in, so you'd want to avoid adding on another clothie (if you use a sort of master/council loot system). With 4 healers, you'll eventually (maybe) want to drop down to 3 to make farm quicker so keep in mind the possible dps offspecs of your healers, as well.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

It's really early to say definitively, but I'd say you'd start with Resto Shaman (Ancestral Vigor) and Holy Paladin (Devotion Aura) in almost all situations. Those two talents just aren't replaceable elsewhere - and the fact that the healers carrying them may not necessarily be the greatest at healing isn't particularly relevant. They're good enough.

For your third healer, it's really a competition between Resto Druid vs. Holy Priest vs. Mistweaver for throughput. The raid cooldowns, once buffed by artifact weapons, are a lot closer than they may initially appear - Holy Priests can get a ton of extra healing from bouncing ProM, Mistweavers can add direct healing in the time window 'while' they're using the cooldown, etc. - and you've got a relatively balanced set of tank cooldowns from each.

Battle rez isn't really all that meaningful as a distinguishing characteristic since someone is bound to have it even if your healer doesn't.

Innervate and Symbol of Hope are nice, but my suspicion is that they'll be more of personal cooldowns than anything else since we're taking a Paladin and a Shaman as our first two healers - and they don't really need your pity mana.

Movement abilities are convenient but, contrary to what you might believe from Hollywood movies, the key to avoiding explosions is to leave before they happen rather than try to outrun them.

Ultimately, I'd probably rank Holy Priests below Druids/Monks here for the combination of limited spread AE healing and ridiculous overkill on the Holy Words. When your Holy Priest has to scream "don't heal him yet!" for a tank dropping below 20% health so they can be guaranteed not to overheal, their healing spells might be too big to be practical.

The last healer would likely be drawn from those above three as well. I just can't see that a Discipline Priest brings much to the table. The damage isn't sufficient to justify the drop in raw healing and the loss of versatility from a conventional throughput healer. Their supplemental features are potentially useful, but sufficiently narrow that there's likely no more than one boss where you'd think to use them.

Deleted
    Because I think his opinion carries more weight than the opinion of someone with 20 posts on MMO-C.
    An officer from Method probably knows what he is talking about.
    No he doesn't, method is full of shit right now. That video is full of wrong info and simply NOT TRUE AT ALL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VigilantRose View Post
    It's really early to say definitively, but I'd say you'd start with Resto Shaman (Ancestral Vigor) and Holy Paladin (Devotion Aura) in
    Devotiona aura is a shitty talent, wtf are you talking about, it's only good when you press aura mastery, it does nothing while AM is not up, don't need to read anything less since you're already wrong on the first sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean that video implied mistweaver is a ranged healer (false), holy priest was the best 5 man healer before GS nerfs (lol), and tried to suggest that holy paladins/resto druids are better than shamans for progression raiding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nephthysis View Post
    For Holy Priests (I don't play Mistweaver): As mentioned above Divine Hymn is completely outclassed by Tranquility which doesn't require your other healers to spend mana to make use of the secondary benefit and can be cast on the move. Guardian Spirit is of questionable use and the talent that reduces it to a 90 second cooldown is outclassed by both other talents in the tier. Symbol of Hope *at best* buys your healers another 20 seconds of sustain, maybe 30 seconds if used during a bloodlust but bloodlust is rarely used during heal intensive moments. So yeah, if you get to the point that you're wiping due to healers oom'ing and just need another 15 seconds to down the boss that's great. But you could also just have another Aura Mastery with half the cooldown that probably prevents your healers from needing to spend that mana in the first place.
    I'm interested why you take the divine hymn amp healing as a point against it, but don't take points away from devo aura when it also requires healers spend more mana to gain output?

Math has already been done showing you need such a small amount of additional healing for dhymn healing to eclipse tranq healing, so the only real thing tranq has over dhymn, is being able to casted on the move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically resto shaman is mandatory, and the rest is up to you. All of the healing classes in Legion are pretty damn solid imo
    HEROES NEVER DIE

His ranking:
    1. Resto Druid
    2. Holy Paladin
    3. Resto Shaman
    4. Holy Priest
    5. Mistweaver Monk
    6. Disc Priest

I really wish people would stop quoting this Method guy like he's god. He even says in the video it's his opinion and he's not entirely 100% sure how MW operates at 110 with full artifact.

MW is very strong. We have the most balanced toolkit out of any healer and our longevity in fights mana-wise is relatively strong. Life Cocoon with the artifact is an insane tank cooldown or just "oh shit" button in general, even rivaling lay on hands in usefulness. There's been plenty of discussion on the MW forums, and this Method video gets brought up every single time. It's irritating because it's not even an accurate list. It's a list of opinions based on his very short time and limited knowledge playing and inspecting each spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post

MW is very strong. We have the most balanced toolkit out of any healer and our longevity in fights mana-wise is relatively strong. Life Cocoon with the artifact is an insane tank cooldown or just "oh shit" button in general, even rivaling lay on hands in usefulness. There's been plenty of discussion on the MW forums, and this Method video gets brought up every single time. It's irritating because it's not even an accurate list. It's a list of opinions based on his very short time and limited knowledge playing and inspecting each spec.
    I rly like the MW Monk, but i hear all the time he brings nothing to the Raid in terms of utility and that makes him undesired. I am sure he is up there with the troughput, but sadly i don't think my GM would ever allow one in the raid :/

His ranking:
    1. Resto Druid
    2. Holy Paladin
    3. Resto Shaman
    4. Holy Priest
    5. Mistweaver Monk
    6. Disc Priest

His video is mainly based on mythic+ making it fairly pointless in terms of raid comp.
    On top of that it is pretty outdated, but the utility like CR/bear form/dps and tank healing is strong and important points about resto druids, utility that might not be as useful in raids.
    Disc priests being more of a hybrid complimenting a group far better in a raid than in a dungeon where they might fall behind on tank healing and things like that.
    MW monks can definitely pull out some numbers, but they have to be doing greater than other healers to be worth it, they have high mobility, but weak external and raid cd, but can also pull some dps without sacrificing too much.

I think the utility of a Holy Priest looks better on paper then it actually is. Yeah Hymn of Hope is nice but is has a 6 Minutes cooldown so it will see one use in the entire fight, i don't know if thats actually that good. Divine Hymn is imo outclassed by Tranq by a mile and Guardian it gives no dmg reduction what so ever just 40% more heal, yeah thats nice and if it's not used it only has 90 seconds cooldown but i kinda value Ironbark higher.
    You are right that their hymn of hope is only so much better than the innervates a resto druid can provide in it's place. (but then again are those really that great without any healers who benefit the most from innervate.
    Divine hymn on paper is better than a tranq, but then again it can't be channeled while moving, so in a real fight it holds a lot more restrictions.
    the DR vs healing increase isn't that important (considering the on death proc from GA.), its more that we are comparing a 4 min cd vs a 1.5 min cd. Ofc you could talent GA, but then you lose the utility of the group innervate, aswell as requiring it not to proc.

Then we also have the different things like high mobility, extra CR (healers tend to have the fastest reaction time in my experience.) and also some pretty good defensives between barkskin/guardian affinity/bear form. While also being very versatile in changing between tank/raid healing, based on whats needed.

But the most important factor here is the drop in skill from changing class can be pretty major, I know I cant play my shaman/hpala/mw anywhere near as good as I play my resto druid, even though I might know how to heal with it.

Also going for 4 healers seem pretty ballsy, feels like a lot of fights need 5 healers, personally I would stick with what you got and recruit a new holy/disc priest.

- - - Updated - - -

I rly like the MW Monk, but i hear all the time he brings nothing to the Raid in terms of utility and that makes him undesired. I am sure he is up there with the troughput, but sadly i don't think my GM would ever allow one in the raid :/
    What level are you raiding at (in terms of world rank)?
    Last edited by theburned; 2016-08-15 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VigilantRose View Post
    Movement abilities are convenient but, contrary to what you might believe from Hollywood movies, the key to avoiding explosions is to leave before they happen rather than try to outrun them.
    Just chiming in to say I love this line.

Holy paladin+R.sham+Rdruid+Hpriest is my guilds comp. it's also what I see a lot of people rolling with in terms of raid comps (speaking in terms of mythic raiding). I'd say that's pretty ideal.