Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Nothing can go faster than twice the speed of light.

If movement is relative, then if you have one thing moving the speed of light one way, and another thing moving the speed of light the exact opposite way, than the truth is relativity means that nothing can go faster than TWICE the speed of light, since the gap between those two would be created at twice the speed of light.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    If movement is relative, then if you have one thing moving the speed of light one way, and another thing moving the speed of light the exact opposite way, than the truth is relativity means that nothing can go faster than TWICE the speed of light, since the gap between those two would be created at twice the speed of light.
    Bollocks, explain The Flash and Quicksilver then?

Deleted
    i just watched star trek. you lie.

The faster you travel the slower time goes so each thing will not perceive the other thing moving away from them at twice the speed of light, even if an outside observer sees the gap being created at twice the speed of light.

Deleted
    your logic is flawed. If I am running in one direction and Usian Bolt is running in the other direction from me then that doesn't mean I am running as fast as me + Usian Bolt combined you genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Quicksilver can't travel at superluminal speeds.

It's almost like his name isn't thoughtful trolli. This is like a burnout version of hooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    ITT: Misunderstanding physics

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    i just watched star trek. you lie.
    they dont go FTL in star trek, they warp space, so apparently you didnt watch star trek

and actually things can go faster than the speed of light, they just cant accelerate to it, so if something already is faster than light and it exists above it then it can exists

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    they dont go FTL in star trek, they warp space, so apparently you didnt watch star trek
    dude han solo just said engage the FTL. the monkey agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The faster you travel the slower time goes so each thing will not perceive the other thing moving away from them at twice the speed of light, even if an outside observer sees the gap being created at twice the speed of light.
    That just makes all dark matter stuff that's moving away from us at the speed of light, then, in another direction.

We're not on a plane or in a three dimensional bubble shaped like a doughtnut: We're inside one tube of a Chex Cereal bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Please don't compare The Flash to the likes of Quicksilver:

Light speed better watch out for The Flash
    Not saying Quicksilver is faster but he can indeed break the light barrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5S5u60eeNg

The calculation you just used is true only for low velocities, for high velocities, even 1% of the speed of fight, you got to use other, more accurate equation.

10+ Year Old Account
    the real question is why do they call it invincible....oh never mind
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Why do they call it an xbox 360? Cuz you take one look at it, turn 360 degrees and throw it away while walking away at twice the speed of light...etc.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weeeeeeell, you have a point... But in reality, theoretically, things can go away from each other much faster than that, since the space is expanding.

The diameter of the Universe is around 92 billion LY (note that 14+14~28 billion LY is only the diameter of the observable Universe we can see, but it stretches far more than that at present). Hubble's Constant is 67 km/s per Mpc, or ~ 6.8e-11 LY/s per LY. So for 92 billion LY, we get roughly 6.3 speeds of light, and plus two speed of light from your reasoning, we get the maximum speed at 8.3 speeds of light.

Of course, this has very little physical meaning, since we can't physically observe something like that. We will be able to in 46 billion years though, so there is consolation!

EDIT: Actually, not in 46 billion years, but much later, since the space between the "border" and us is still expanding... Dang!
    Last edited by May90; 2016-08-13 at 11:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if a light particle was riding on another light particle and then jumped off of it.

Huh? HUHHH?!?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NaNaaru View Post
    The calculation you just used is true only for low velocities, for high velocities, even 1% of the speed of fight, you got to use other, more accurate equation.
    From the static observer's point of view with two massless particles moving away from them, the simple summation is applicable.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Except, the Universe is expanding at an ever increasing pace, so your theory just went out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Flash only moves like 400ish Mph.