Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svens View Post
    See I don't get this.
    People in this thread are saying they're running stable 60-100 FPS with 1070 everywhere
    Any ideas?
    Thy are simply lying.
    You will never get 60FPS+ on a 40+ man lusted Kazzak pull, esp not if you have recount active.
    Getting 100FPS while idling around in the middle of nowhere is hardly a feat.

That being said: I don't understand the FPS hype when it comes to an MMO which lets you perform one action every second at most.
    I always limit my WoW to 30FPS. Still fluid, less variation in FPS and less heat.

I have a reference 1070 and experience FPS drops as low as 25~ during really crowded invasions, particularly during phase 4 where everyone in the zone crowds around the boss - anyone who says otherwise is lying.

It doesn't matter if you're running at graphics quality 1 or 10, the card can handle the graphics, but any CPU on the market will bottleneck the performance in that situation. Mine is slightly older, it's an i7 3770k running @ 4.1GHz, so my performance will be slightly worse than some.
    Last edited by Eiri; 2016-08-26 at 10:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    GeForce experience.
    Optimize, keep going.
    I know that probably sounds really silly, but It set mine to 10, changed some settings I don't know anything about and yes it turned on v-sync. Rendering was set to 200%. The game looks amazing, I'm on 10, and I don't have any gfx lag, anywhere.
    That's with almost the same setup as OP.
    I have 16GB of PNY Ram was the only difference I remember.

Cooling though will play a factor. NH-D15 on my CPU. Not a full sized case either. I'll probably change that though and get that corsair that is in the build of the month.
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Thy are simply lying.
    You will never get 60FPS+ on a 40+ man lusted Kazzak pull, esp not if you have recount active.
    Getting 100FPS while idling around in the middle of nowhere is hardly a feat.

That being said: I don't understand the FPS hype when it comes to an MMO which lets you perform one action every second at most.
    I always limit my WoW to 30FPS. Still fluid, less variation in FPS and less heat.
    The thing is I'm not even complaining about 60 fps in 40 man pulls on kazzak. Anywhere that I set my view distance to 10 can net me drops to 55 and even 40 in some cases (even old areas, like Dragonblight) Not to mention the constant 45-50 fps in the Garrison.
    That's why I'm pondering how people with 1070 say they're running 60 fps constantly on the maximum settings, even going as far as setting render scale higher.
    It's sadly a definitely noticeable difference, I used to play on 30-40 fps constantly but after upgrading to a 1080 and seeing people say they're getting higher FPS on much higher settings than me while using a weaker GPU makes me wonder what the issue is
    Last edited by Svens; 2016-08-26 at 03:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The thing is I'm not even complaining about 60 fps in 40 man pulls on kazzak. Anywhere that I set my view distance to 10 can net me drops to 55 and even 40 in some cases (even old areas, like Dragonblight) Not to mention the constant 45-50 fps in the Garrison.
    That's why I'm pondering how people with 1070 say they're running 60 fps constantly on the maximum settings, even going as far as setting render scale higher.
    It's sadly a definitely noticeable difference, I used to play on 30-40 fps constantly but after upgrading to a 1080 and seeing people say they're getting higher FPS on much higher settings than me while using a weaker GPU makes me wonder what the issue is
    It almost has to be an issue with something on your system. There's no reason your 6600k at 4.4GHz with 1080 should run that much worse than my 2500k at 4.6GHz with 1070, assuming you're also playing at 1080p or 1440p. Have you monitored clock speeds and temps while playing to ensure that the card isn't downclocking for some reason, whether heat or something else? I would also take a look at CPU and IO usage while playing to make sure there's nothing in the background chewing up resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    It almost has to be an issue with something on your system. There's no reason your 6600k at 4.4GHz with 1080 should run that much worse than my 2500k at 4.6GHz with 1070, assuming you're also playing at 1080p or 1440p. Have you monitored clock speeds and temps while playing to ensure that the card isn't downclocking for some reason, whether heat or something else? I would also take a look at CPU and IO usage while playing to make sure there's nothing in the background chewing up resources.
    Everything seems to be in line in terms of clock speeds and temperatures. The CPU is running on 4.4ghz, on 100% render scale and view distance 7 I'm getting around 35c and 30%-40% utilization, on 200% render scale I'll get around 60% utilization and 45-50c, the GPU is running on 1920-1950mhz with around 30%-40% load with 100% render scale and 80%-99% load with 200% render scale. 55-60c on the lower settings, 75ish on the higher settings.
    I'm getting the performance I should be getting on other games, it's just WoW that seems to be a bit dodgy.
    The garrison seems to be a major culprit (the Alliance one), where I can get 30 fps running on 200% render scale and 10 on view distance. 100% render and 7 view distance nets me around 45-50. It only drops to these frames when looking towards the main gate so I'd guess it's something with the rendering of the outside view.
    Honestly I don't mind it that much as long as I play on 100% and view distance 7, kinda sucks though
    I tried running no addons and clearing cache but to no avail. Might try reinstalling WoW or something
    Last edited by Svens; 2016-08-26 at 04:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The garrison seems to be a major culprit (the Alliance one), where I can get 30 fps running on 200% render scale and 10 on view distance. 100% render and 7 view distance nets me around 45-50. It only drops to these frames when looking towards the main gate so I'd guess it's something with the rendering of the outside view.
    The garrison has always been a bad area. It's a phased area. With the way their phasing tech works, it appears that even though you can't see other people, the game still tracks them as if you're in the middle of a large city. So with a large concentration of people sitting in their garrisons, people get a large performance hit, even though they seem to be sitting alone in their own garrison. I don't think I've seen any significant drops in the garrison, but I haven't necessarily been looking for them, either. I'll try to check it out tonight.

I'm running my 1070 at slightly higher clocks (a bit over 2000MHz core and, I believe, 8600MHz memory), but that shouldn't be causing any difference based on you having the stronger base card and crowded areas typically being CPU-bound. You could try using DDU to remove your Nvidia drivers and reload them from scratch. You could also verify that your motherboard hasn't had any driver updates. Sometimes chipset drivers can provide a decent performance improvement. Finally, if you're comfortable with it, you could check to see if you have a BIOS update available to you. I would only suggest updating your BIOS if there was a significant change/fix in a newer version, as doing a BIOS update can end up with a bricked motherboard if something goes wrong. It's fairly rare, but can happen.

(Note: Garrison phasing working as listed above is to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong and anyone knows how it actually works, please let me know.)
    (Note2: This is semi-fixed with Blizz's new "shard" tech. It functions similarly to, but more transparently than, some other MMOs' zone tech, which spawns a second/third/fourth/etc instance of the zone when the current "shards" are overpopulated.)

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    You're playing on 1080p and have a 1070 and set details to 8... come on. Bump those details to 10, otherwise sell that 1070 and get something with passive cooling.
    Like a GTX 210. /sarcasm.

It doesn't matter if you have a 1080, 1070, 1060 or lower at that point, it will give you the same results in wow. Because the increased draw distance when going from 8 to 10 caps your cpu.

Just look at your gpu load when switching from 8 to 10: is it at 100%? most likely not, still you will have a noticable frames per sencond drop from 8-10.
    Why? Because CPU can't keep up.