Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    it's in the awkward spot of "why the hell would you want even more melee?" especially since you were in a ranged raidspot before

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    it's in the awkward spot of "why the hell would you want even more melee?" especially since you were in a ranged raidspot before
    Right. And if they had converted some melee specs into range or added a ranged class, I think it would be much less of a thing, but they just added a whole new melee only class - I doubt many raids are going to want ranged spots switching to melee.

I think it's a good change, but right now I find MM just more fun with the insane AoE damage. For all being the same Class, the fact that you can cycle through Pet, Ranged, and Melee whenever you want is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    And the point of this incoherent rambling is? I can confidently say that everyone who chose hunter before 7.0.3 didn't want to play a melee spec. That point still stands.
    What? I "chose" hunter before the pre-patch, just like I did for most expansions and I always wanted a melee hunter spec.
    Either you suck at formulating your argument, or you are just trying to start an argument for no damn reason.

Personally I have never understood wanting to play hunter as melee, but... people were doing it back in vanilla, despite all the shit people gave them. They weren't super rare, and some people were somewhat decent at it despite it being pretty... sub-optimal. So saying people never wanted a melee hunter just doesn't hold up to facts. Now *I* never wanted to play a melee hunter(and my first character in vanilla was a hunter) and still don't, but I am not representative of the entire WoW player population.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Personally I have never understood wanting to play hunter as melee, but... people were doing it back in vanilla, despite all the shit people gave them. They weren't super rare, and some people were somewhat decent at it despite it being pretty... sub-optimal. So saying people never wanted a melee hunter just doesn't hold up to facts. Now *I* never wanted to play a melee hunter(and my first character in vanilla was a hunter) and still don't, but I am not representative of the entire WoW player population.
    People played melee hunter because it was sub-optimal.

If the dps is fine and competitive to other melee classes then there is no reason not to take a SV hunter. If you only take 5 or so melee then some class/spec will be sitting out and you don't just dump the hunter because its not playing its ranged spec. Hell some people have said they are rolling from hunter to a DH...meaning they are rolling to a melee spec after complaining that a melee spec was added! Now, if the dps between the two isnt comparable then you have a point but if they come out to being close then who the hell cares what sort of "skin" your melee dps is wearing.

My main is a SV Hunter, I picked it as I find it fun. I don't care about dps or being competitive in raids. In lfr most of the hunters I see are MM, BM and SV aren't as popular. I was BM but I found the rotation felt clunky so I stuck with sv. I might change come legion but at the moment it's unlikely

Deleted
    All this hate towards survival hunter is funny to see.

I couldnt stand hunter before because i enjoy being melee. I just hate being range.
    and for me the class plays and feels nice, the damage i can put out is great and the traps give some nice utility.

And its still pre-patch, evreything is tweaked and made for 110 and with your artifact.
    not that the playstyle changes much for Surv, but it gives a increased damage boost and a bit mroe sustanined dmg allong the way.

If you dont like it, dont play it?

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    Pretty sure approximately 0 people were asking for melee hunters.
    I remember lots of threads in the old days about how hunters should get a melee focus spec.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by teverin View Post
    If the dps is fine and competitive to other melee classes then there is no reason not to take a SV hunter. If you only take 5 or so melee then some class/spec will be sitting out and you don't just dump the hunter because its not playing its ranged spec. Hell some people have said they are rolling from hunter to a DH...meaning they are rolling to a melee spec after complaining that a melee spec was added! Now, if the dps between the two isnt comparable then you have a point but if they come out to being close then who the hell cares what sort of "skin" your melee dps is wearing.
    SV hunters don't bring anything compare to other melees.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    SV hunters don't bring anything compare to other melees.
    They can trap, as much as a rogue can sap a target if needed.
    They can slow in a rather big aoe.

They can do some great aoe damage.
    They can nulify some damage with aspect fo the turtle in sort of a same way a rogue can cloak of shadows certain things.

they have the biggest ''charge'' range so can quickly go to another target / adds if needed.

Your point?

If i look towards warriors currently, they bring the least of anything in the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by DRperzik View Post
    If you dont like it, dont play it?
    Survival before 7.0 was my favourite spec, so it's kind of painful seeing it shoehorned to melee and all these fanboys/niche players/people who didn't play hunters to begin with come out of the woodwork and give the age-old excuse "If you don't like it, don't play it". Why should people like YOU who didn't like hunters to begin with be given priority when it comes to changes to the hunter class? This is just further proof that all the Legion changes to hunters were done for the sake of everyone other than hunters, even though they keep pretending otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    I miss MoP Surv
    I miss MoP hunters in general. Back then you had Aspect of the Hawk so whenever Blizzard felt compelled to go near hunters they would just buff/nerf that instead of lobotomising the class.

Survival before 7.0 was my favourite spec, so it's kind of painful seeing it shoehorned to melee and all these fanboys/niche players/people who didn't play hunters to begin with come out of the woodwork and give the age-old excuse "If you don't like it, don't play it". Why should people like YOU who didn't like hunters to begin with be given priority when it comes to changes to the hunter class? This is just further proof that all the Legion changes to hunters were done for the sake of everyone other than hunters, even though they keep pretending otherwise.
    Why do you have any more right than someone else does when it comes to class design? A new player to a class has every right as someone who has played it for 10 years. The other point is you don't design the classes, its Blizzards ideas on classes and theme not yours and they'll have plenty of reasons for the change that they don't need to share with people outside the dev team.
    Frankly his point is 100% right, if you don't like survival you have two other range options. If you don't like those options you have other classes with multiple specs, if you don't like those options speak with your money and unsubscribe because at this point Blizzard have changed the spec and really couldn't give a stuff if people whinge about it, they'll wait for actual data to make their decision on the success/failure of it and then choose where to go next.

Deleted
    Am I the only one who actually liked having a melee weapon along with my ranged one?

I mean it wasn't very well developed, but it felt pretty satisfying to me, especially with a properly powerful axe. Back in TBC any time I was in melee big crits were happening with my huge axe.

And in pvp I loved when ungeared mages blinked into me(we couldn't shoot in melee) only to get wrecked by my huge axe.

I mean it was a bit clunky back then with the dead zone and such, but I feel it had potential to be a nice part of the class.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main Hunter is staying BM, but my new Gnome Hunter is full Surv. Took some time to figure it out, but I think I have the hang of the spec now.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Problem is with the introduction of DH there is simply no room for a surv hunter. A huge majority of raiding hunters will be BM/MM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    People have been asking for Melee Hunters since, well, forever, dude. In fact, a lot of people were upset when they initially removed all melee abilities from hunters.
    Yep its true,maybe not a fully melee spec but a hybrid one for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post

No one played fully melee hunter in vanilla but you had a pretty interesting toolkit as survival with mangouste riposte and other stuff.

A good hunter often used its melee abilities against rogues,warriors,etc... (monkey aspect, riposte stuff,snare,raptor,traps)

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

I miss MoP hunters in general. Back then you had Aspect of the Hawk so whenever Blizzard felt compelled to go near hunters they would just buff/nerf that instead of lobotomising the class.
    I played a hunter troughtout the WoTLK expansion.
    I remember buying ammo, i remember evreything was a hunter weapon, i remember u had a ''dead''zone and you had mana and had to use aspect of the dragonhawk to get it back.

Back then, it was somewhat enjoyable to play a ranged hunter. ( in my opinion)
    Because you had a mix of being melee / ranged given the situation, sort a speak.

I can only say, Times change.
    Blizzard is just like any other company and now they decided that their product of a survival hunter needed a change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Love my SV hunter.