Deleted

Did Blizzard know about Legion before Vanilla ?

So, let us look at the law.

In TbC, Illidan is just a bad guy and there is no attempt to explain things from his prescription.

Now in Legion so far, we know that he was actually working to defeat the burning lesion.

So with the lore of Illidan being good or not as bad as we thought in TbC, did Blizzard have the Legion expansion lined up even before Vanilla and were just waiting to reveal more of the plot.

pretty interesting i agree, what do you think?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    So, let us look at the law.

In TbC, Illidan is just a bad guy and there is no attempt to explain things from his prescription.

Now in Legion so far, we know that he was actually working to defeat the burning lesion.

So with the lore of Illidan being good or not as bad as we thought in TbC, did Blizzard have the Legion expansion lined up even before Vanilla and were just waiting to reveal more of the plot.

pretty interesting i agree, what do you think?
    Illidan was working to defeat the Legion even before Vanilla, in WC3. This isn't a new development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Illidan goal has always been to defeat the legion, that why he became what he is today. but in the past Tyrande and Malfurion disapprove of using fel for any reason. Unlike the arcane users that where exiled Illidan was imprison for this.

Demon Hunters and Warlocks are tolerated because of their power but not trusted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THCRaven View Post
    In the War of the ancients trilogy , Illidan is implied to have a great destiny because of his golden eyes , fact that is reminded throughout the whole trilogy , so they had something in mind back in 2004.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopus View Post
    Illidan goal has always been to defeat the legion, that why he became what he is today. but in the past Tyrande and Malfurion disapprove of using fel for any reason. Unlike the arcane users that where exiled Illidan was imprison for this.

Demon Hunters and Warlocks are tolerated because of their power but not trusted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure they've always had big plans for Illidan but the Legion/WoD stories I doubt were thought of that far in advance. Maybe really rough ideas and a timeline of sorts but all the fine details weren't worked on until they actually became relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Illidans goal was always to try and stop the legion. The reason we went after him in BC is because he tends to make a lot of enemies in his pursuit of that goal. He fucked over a LOT of people, hence his title "The Betrayer".
    Ultimately he's a force for good, but one you want to avoid dealing with nonetheless, because if throwing you under the bus helps him in any way, he'll do it.

they probably did. they fucked up TBC. it was the first expansion so they got many plans and they took the worst one.

after that, they want to wrap up the business with the Lich King. in Cata they brought him back in WotA. in MoP there is Warlock quest where they indicate that he is probably still alive. in WoD it was a "calm before the storm" story.

Extremely unlikely. Everything we've seen about lore development is jerk reactions to the player base, not on careful fore planing.

The only reason Illidan is back is because Blizzard knows how popular he is and is scrambling to fix their blunder with WoD

Are you suggesting that Blizzard had planned Legion since before BC and every thing before it was filler?

Oh wait that's me.

You need to make peace with the idea that this is the last major expansion for WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    The only reason Illidan is back is because Blizzard knows how popular he is and is scrambling to fix their blunder with WoD
    They already started planning about it early Cata, though. Although, yes, I agree that it's extremely unlikely that Legion was planned before Vanilla (or TBC even)
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

I doubt it, since back then I'm very sure that Blizzard didn't even intent to make demons immortal unless they are killed in the Twisting Nether. How else would you explain every demon react so afraid to die (Mal'Ganis to Arthas, Varimathras to Sylvanas) if they come back anyway. Hell, why would Varimathras hesitate so much to kill Balnazzar if he comes back anyway.

And I believe that during vanilla, they had plans for expansions to go as far as this: Outland (TBC) > Northrend (WotLK) > Maelstrom (Broken Isles, eventually became Cata). I read it somewhere but I don't know where to find it back.

Deleted
    wow interesting.

i never knew there was such a divide on if Blizzard had Legion planned before Vanilla or not.