Playing Havoc AND Vengeance in Legion...?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to play the Legion Beta, meaning the only way I have a feel for what Demon Hunters will play like at 110 is based on what I've seen others post (and their neutered performance at 100). Right now, I'm really liking both specs... I'm enjoying Vengeance a lot more than I anticipated (I've never really tried a tanking spec). Even though I'm used to playing DPS, I'd really love to keep both specs relevant early in the expansion.

Everything I've seen suggests that you basically pick one spec on a character and stick with it for artifact progression. Since artifact power isn't in a shared pool between all specs (... Blizz, why didn't you do it this way??!) and artifact power takes time to come by at the beginning of the expansion, how viable is it to try and either 1) level both specs simultaneously or 2) level one to a certain point, then start dumping AP into the other spec.

Players in beta say "it takes a long time" to level one's artifact weapon up. For obtaining the 3 major abilities, is there anything quantitative out there for XX# of quests/dungeons/etc?

I'd like to avoid picking a spec, leveling to 110, then swap specs for artifact progression. Common game dilemma - I know. I have a feeling my best bet is to pick Havoc until max level and see if I want to switch to Vengeance for spending AP. I'll be a bit behind Vengeance mains but I'm not a cutting edge raider.

Any input is appreciated

Deleted
    the time it takes to fill up your artifact is like anything else in the game.

totally dependant on how long you play and how long of your playtime you spend doing activities that reward artifact power.

This is misinformation spread by people who don't know what they are talking about. Yes you can focus on one spec and get further than you would had you focused on several. However, the amount of artifact power required per artifact level goes up exponentially so much so that its something like lvl 1-12 artifact is the same as 12-13.

Also once you hit level 110 you will be able to complete research orders which upgrade all of the artifact power giving items for that character permanently, so yes the first artifact that you complete will be a pain in the ass, but once you switch to a second one the amount of items needed to get it leveled up will be drastically reduced.

There is no number for # of quests/dungeons/etc because it is different based on how many research orders you have and you get a new research order completed pretty often when compared with the amount of time that the artifact will take to complete.

Basically you can focus on one and ink out a very slight edge or focus on several and possibly get an even greater edge be being able to switch specs for raid encounters. Either way has its benefits, but there are some classes that have specs which are just good at pretty much every type of fight and so those classes will likely focus on 1 spec.

In other words your demon hunter will be behind on dps, sure, but it wont be so behind that playing better or getting better rng can't pull you ahead of other players with more artifact levels.

Quote Originally Posted by splosher View Post
    Also once you hit level 110 you will be able to complete research orders which upgrade all of the artifact power giving items for that character permanently, so yes the first artifact that you complete will be a pain in the ass, but once you switch to a second one the amount of items needed to get it leveled up will be drastically reduced.

In other words your demon hunter will be behind on dps, sure, but it wont be so behind that playing better or getting better rng can't pull you ahead of other players with more artifact levels.
    This was really helpful, thank you. I was hoping for some insight like this. Originally when I was going to play my Hunter in Legion, I was going to stick with a single DPS spec --- but I figure having the utility of a tank spec as a DH is definitely worth keeping proficiency and artifact progress up to [relative] speed.

There is a slight limiting factor in the form of the Relics. During questing, your relic choices are limited to the spec you are currently in. This is especially annoying for Demon Hunters, because there is no overlap between the Relic Slots until you complete the Class Hall quests, with Havoc being Fel/Shadow/Fel, and Vengeance being Iron/Arcane/Fel.

Mind you, I said it was a slight inconvenience, as you can work around this, and the World Quests that can award Relics will award them based on your class, and not your spec.
    There is no Peace, only Passion
    Through Passion, I gain Strength
    Through Strength, I gain Power
    Through Power, I gain Victory
    Through Victory, my chains shall be broken
    The Force shall free me

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the general consensus on spending AP for convenient spec switching then ?
    Say I want to main Veng, I was considering getting FBP and CW and then using the AP for my DPS spec. Does that sound decent ? (Context : I'm done raiding in MM, I'll play casually and do NM / HM raids)
    (Follow up question : There is no drawback using some AP in my 2ary artifact when my first one is like level 5 rather than doing that when the first one is 13, is there ?)

Thanks !

Deleted
    If you are in a Heroic/Mythic raiding guild that aims to clear stuff fast, I'd suggest starting ur OS weapon after at least 2 golden traits, if you play more casually, doesn't matter tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, thanks =)

I plan to get my first 12 points in both weapons asap (literally costs nothing) then focus on Havoc (the DPS spec) while still at least having the option of tanking in Mythic Dungeons and such with friends.

I'm a primarily a PvPer anyway, i plan to raid Heroic once or twice a week and to optimise my Havoc weapon (go straight for Fury of the Illidary then Inner Demons) for PvP so i'm taking a power hit either way.
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2016-08-16 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Arugal View Post
    There is a slight limiting factor in the form of the Relics. During questing, your relic choices are limited to the spec you are currently in. This is especially annoying for Demon Hunters, because there is no overlap between the Relic Slots until you complete the Class Hall quests, with Havoc being Fel/Shadow/Fel, and Vengeance being Iron/Arcane/Fel.
    That's good info - I wasn't aware of this limitation.

I may do what Zergal is planning and put 12 points in Havoc & Vengeance, then continue with Vengeance until 110. Then I'll re-evaluate how I want to proceed with the xpac and will have SOME usefulness in Vengeance while leveling up for dungeons and such.

Pretty stoked!