Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you think cooking should be taught at schools?

Recently I've started cooking serious meals. I've been doing a bit of cooking ever since I moved out from my parents, but I only started doing something more complicated than rice, chicken or eggs a few days ago.

Since I've lived with my parents for a very long time and they both were very good at cooking, ironically, I didn't have to learn anything, since there was always a semi-professionally cooked meal on the table. And now that I started doing it myself, I found out that I don't know anything about cooking. Such basic questions as "What is vinegar for?", "Should rice be put in cold water or boiling water?", "Can beets be cooked?", I have to google all the time - and I feel like at my age I should already know all of these things by heart.

Do you think schools should teach people cooking? For one, I think it would make people, on average, eat more healthy, since if everyone was decent at cooking, people likely would resort to eating fast food and other easy-to-get meals less and eating healthy tasty meals more. Plus, cooking is one of those universal skills that pretty much every adult needs, regardless of their profession and lifestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, you should learn that in your home.

10+ Year Old Account
    It already is in some places. I took Home Ec in seventh grade. Unfortunately, that was twenty years ago and I've forgotten all of it. Also spent a month out of school due to surgery, and missed a great deal, but anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think all students should go through a general "home economics" course that would cover cooking, cleaning, and light auto maintenance (tire pressure, oil level, etc..)

No granted there are multiple ways to cook things and people should also be given room to experiment. Some people may find they really like cooking. Some may not, but as it is something you will be required to do for yourself for most of your life, you should at least know how.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    It's mandatory in the 6th grade in my country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Recently I've started cooking serious meals. I've been doing a bit of cooking ever since I moved out from my parents, but I only started doing something more complicated than rice, chicken or eggs a few days ago.

Since I've lived with my parents for a very long time and they both were very good at cooking, ironically, I didn't have to learn anything, since there was always a semi-professionally cooked meal on the table. And now that I started doing it myself, I found out that I don't know anything about cooking. Such basic questions as "What is vinegar for?", "Should rice be put in cold water or boiling water?", "Can beets be cooked?", I have to google all the time - and I feel like at my age I should already know all of these things by heart.

Do you think schools should teach people cooking? For one, I think it would make people, on average, eat more healthy, since if everyone was decent at cooking, people likely would resort to eating fast food and other easy-to-get meals less and eating healthy tasty meals more. Plus, cooking is one of those universal skills that pretty much every adult needs, regardless of their profession and lifestyle.
    I pity the people who don't already have schools who teach it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    No, you should learn that in your home.
    So those coming from really bad homes or shelters, they should never be taught how to cook? Nice. You know, not everyone had a home like you did.

Deleted
    Take away curry or gtfo

10+ Year Old Account
    No I don't think it should be taught in schools. Waste of time.

If you can read you can cook.

We do in Sweden, and as a result most of us can actually cook. This may seem shocking to Americans, but I order/eat out about 2-3 times a month and never buy precooked/microwave shit.

I had a cooking class in high school. All it taught me though was to not confuse baking soda with baking powder, after my group made that mistake.

What did you do with beets before
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

We had a choice to learn it in high school. It was a fun and an easy A. Not to mention free food.

Of course, everything I learned in it was quickly forgotten like most things in school.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post

I took cooking in junior high and high school. It already is taught in most places, but it's elective, not required.

It should be available but not mandatory.

I think trades could successfully be introduced at young ages in American public schools.

As it stands right now children are being programmed with some pretty pointless shit, ie revisionist history, unicorns, etc.

Not to mention the grand slanting common core fail.

Home economics, nutrition and cooking, computer/electronics literacy, maybe even some sort of automobile/drivers education, or similar base programs could be started at a young age and then build on in later grade levels on an elective basis.

But then I guess making them good government servants is more important so...
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

I think some basic financial stuff should be taught in Highschool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    No I don't think it should be taught in schools. Waste of time.

If you can read you can cook.
    You can certainly cook if you can read, but can you cook well then? It is easy to follow a pre-made recipe, but it isn't much fun to have to look up every step and hope that everything comes out right, without understanding well why you do what you do.

Personally, I've been trying my own recipes, as I like to improvise, and I always stumble upon not knowing whether doing something is a good idea. Apparently it only comes with experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    What did you do with beets before
    I mostly ate them separately. I mean small beets, of course, not those large ones that have a lot of juice in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, it should be something you learn from your parents. That said, when I was in school, all 8th graders had to take Home Economics.
    Thats discrimination against orphans .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Home economics, nutrition and cooking, computer/electronics literacy, maybe even some sort of automobile/drivers education, or similar base programs could be started at a young age and then build on in later grade levels on an elective basis.
    That's like exactly how it already worked at all 3 different schools I attended.

Intermediate school they started introducing kids to various shit... In high school you could specialize... You could even opt to not even go to high school and instead go to a career center where you got high school lite and basically went to a trade school. Or you could choose to stay in high school, get a general education, and then go to college.

10+ Year Old Account
    We had "Food Technology" in Year 7-9 and as an optional GCSE in England, think we cooked stuff once every two weeks? Not sure if it's still around now days, this is going back nearly 13 odd years ago (when I started Year 7).
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!