Angry Another area affected by lead poisoning...

Flint, Michigan's water crisis was in the news for a while and it seems Indiana is going to follow suit, but this time the contamination is on land. The affordable housing complex's soil in East Chicago has high levels of lead that has been causing residents to suffer from gastrointestinal, respiratory, behavioral, and mental illness. Apparently, the complex was built over a series of pre-existing lead smelting plants though only recently has the E.P.A (Environmental Protection Agency) and the city's Mayor informed residents and officially deemed the area unsafe to live. Hundreds of tenants are being moved from the area and the houses will be demolished.

Although they're awaiting subsidies to move, they are required by law to continue paying rent which is truly foul. The E.P.A is doing more tests on a nearby area that could potentially mean hundreds more residents are also affected and will have to evacuate.

TYT Politics (different from the main TYT channel) covered this story below.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/08/...-flint-crisis/
    https://thinkprogress.org/40-years-i...dba#.nm2qrrvsq

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InventiveMeasures View Post
    Although they're awaiting subsidies to move, they are required by law to continue paying rent which is truly foul.
    If its public housing then the government is paying for it...

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    If its public housing then the government is paying for it...
    I didn't watch the story but if it's subsidize apartments, then they do pay based on their income and the government covers the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the rate that triggers the government to authorise a cleanup is 400-parts-per-million and they have rates up to 91,000-parts-per-million.

Surely that cannot be right...9% lead?

All of the old cities around the world have lead paint, lead water pipes.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    So the rate that triggers the government to authorise a cleanup is 400-parts-per-million and they have rates up to 91,000-parts-per-million.

Yea, I had to play that back another time to make sure I heard correctly. That's crazy...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    All of the old cities around the world have lead paint, lead water pipes.
    ...assuming you didn't read any of the post. Not sure what old lead paint and water pipes have to do with the soil having very high levels of lead in it from pre-existing lead smelting plants.

Honestly people, get out of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

It's a ridiculous amount. But for the sake of clarity, I'll note that soil minerals are measured after completely drying it (at least on the testing we conduce over here).

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw the angryface... assumed @Tennisace was back...

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Saw the angryface... assumed @Tennisace was back...
    Hm. Okay then.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    It's a ridiculous amount. But for the sake of clarity, I'll note that soil minerals are measured after completely drying it (at least on the testing we conduce over here).
    Agreed, thanks for the clarification. I wanted to add that the 91,000 ppm is only at the 2-foot level which is really troubling.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Hubcap You're correct. What makes this story more troubling is that the language quoted in OP says it wasn't a problem with lead paint or lead pipes. In what may be a new level of stupid:

apparently, the complex was built over a series of pre-existing lead smelting plants
    That's right, they build housing over sites formerly used by multiple lead smelting operations. Of course there were off the chart lead levels. There should have been no question of building any kind of housing on that land without at least a major EPA clean up.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2016-08-18 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Typo. Insufficient coffee.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

It's like a repeat of Love Canal.

TYT Politics (different from the main TYT channel) covered this story below.
    Ugh. Well my interest in this topic just went to shit...

Additional video on the lead issue in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Honestly people, get out of Chicago.
    east chicago is a seperate city

I imagine that you'd find similar problems all throughout the Midwest and the Rust Belt.

9% is pretty crazy, as someone who has spent a fair bit of time looking into alternative home construction to avoid toxicity in the home I can't even imagine how shitty it'd feel to be more or less surrounded by that amount whenever you're home.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    Blah blah blah. Third world problems.

Whilst very sad for them, we have bigger issues to deal with. Like being Rawsome.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does this happen?

Officials don't give a shit about poor people and its sad.

I've lived in better off neighborhoods and older ones.

Let them even think something is wrong with the water in the richer neighborhoods and school is out for the day(or gym cancelled at least), emergency crews sent out on the double.

Brown water in the older neighborhood? Meh, boil your water or get a filter.

Its not just in black neighborhoods but somehow black neighborhoods tend to have the shittiest infrastructure.

Resident Cosplay Progressive