Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Weird issue with WoW and SSD and I'm at a loss, could really use help from genius.

Ok i'll explain the problem as quick as possible.

Ever since legion patch my game will randomly drop from 60 fps to 45 fps for a split second while in combat, a framespike. My first thought was, ok its my ui, deleted entire wtf/interface/cache to make sure it was. To my surprise this issue still occured. I tested it on beta (which is located on my HDD) and had no issues (at the time the live build and the beta build were identical.)

So I decided to copy my live WoW folder to my HDD and the problem is gone, I no longer had framespikes.
    Obviously I want WoW on my ssd, its the main game I play so I decide to a clean install of WoW back to my SSD.
    The issue is there, 3 pulls in to a dungeon and framespike.

At this point my mind is blown.

I ran a full diagnostic scan using ssd intel toolbox and it completed just fine, smartdetails is giving me no errors either.
    It is a fresh windows 10 install, (2.5weeks old), Overwatch works fine on the SSD, not really got any other games on it I play currently.

Things I haven't tried yet: Reinstalling GPU drivers (seems pointless as if it was them surely the issue would occur while the game was located on my HDD?)

System: windows 10 64 bit (located on the ssd.)
    asus z87 pro motherboard
    270x R9 Msi gaming 2g
    Intel 530 SSD, and a WD 1tb Caviar black.

So if anyone has any ideas to help pinpoint or resolve this issue, that be a huge help.

ps: WoW is located in my gaming folder, which is in the root of the SSD, not sure if that is at all relevent.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-08-17 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Was the Windows 10 install a fresh install or an upgrade?
    Fresh install from a USB boot install stick.

How full is the SSD?

A lot of SSDs will experience substantial performance losses if they are nearly full, there's a bunch of technical reasons for this that aren't really important aside from the effect it has.

If it is nearly full, then try freeing up 10-20% of the drive space and see if you still have the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    How full is the SSD?

A lot of SSDs will experience substantial performance losses if they are nearly full, there's a bunch of technical reasons for this that aren't really important aside from the effect it has.

If it is nearly full, then try freeing up 10-20% of the drive space and see if you still have the problem.
    65gb's remaining from the 180, I presume this is more then fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    65gb's remaining from the 180, I presume this is more then fine?
    it's most likely a error on the SSD.. that causes the Fps drop due to not being able to load fast enough. u should try and Clean the SSD 100% aka remove everything from it

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Could be an addon...

As I had stated in the OP it occurs with a completely CLEAN ui.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by simonlvschal View Post
    it's most likely a error on the SSD.. that causes the Fps drop due to not being able to load fast enough. u should try and Clean the SSD 100% aka remove everything from it
    Did this when I installed windows 10 two weeks ago, intel ssd toolbox also did a complete check that took 2hours for and came back with zero errors. (Thats not to say it might not be an SSD error tho, but I can't find anything wrong with it either.)

As I had stated in the OP it occurs with a completely CLEAN ui.

- - - Updated - - -

Did this when I installed windows 10 two weeks ago, intel ssd toolbox also did a complete check that took 2hours for and came back with zero errors. (Thats not to say it might not be an SSD error tho, but I can't find anything wrong with it either.)
    try and do some speed test on it? see if its below the actual speed

I assume you're running the latest firmware?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by simonlvschal View Post
    try and do some speed test on it? see if its below the actual speed
    How would I go about this the most accurate way? Would prefer a way that doesn't install software but perhaps thats the only way.

Ok i'll explain the problem as quick as possible.

Ever since legion patch my game will randomly drop from 60 fps to 45 fps for a split second while in combat, a framespike. My first thought was, ok its my ui, deleted entire wtf/interface/cache to make sure it was. To my surprise this issue still occured. I tested it on beta (which is located on my HDD) and had no issues (at the time the live build and the beta build were identical.)

So I decided to copy my live WoW folder to my HDD and the problem is gone, I no longer had framespikes.
    Obviously I want WoW on my ssd, its the main game I play so I decide to a clean install of WoW back to my SSD.
    The issue is there, 3 pulls in to a dungeon and framespike.

At this point my mind is blown.

I ran a full diagnostic scan using ssd intel toolbox and it completed just fine, smartdetails is giving me no errors either.
    It is a fresh windows 10 install, (2.5weeks old), Overwatch works fine on the SSD, not really got any other games on it I play currently.

Things I haven't tried yet: Reinstalling GPU drivers (seems pointless as if it was them surely the issue would occur while the game was located on my HDD?)

System: windows 10 64 bit (located on the ssd.)
    asus z87 pro motherboard
    270x R9 Msi gaming 2g
    Intel 530 SSD, and a WD 1tb Caviar black.

So if anyone has any ideas to help pinpoint or resolve this issue, that be a huge help.

ps: WoW is located in my gaming folder, which is in the root of the SSD, not sure if that is at all relevent.
    Hmm... I have the very same problem but the other way around. Had WoW on my HDD like I've always had, got this very short, sharp drops in FPS, moved WoW to my SSD and they are gone.

I still have the beta on my HDD and still have thoes lag spikes.

Rather new machine, way over recommended specs, none of the disks full or even near full, everything updated.

15+ Year Old Account
    This sounds eerily familiar to situations I've seen people in who've installed Windows on IDE mode.
    Check that in your BIOS that it's set to AHCI.

If it still occurs ... well please tell me how you reinstalled Windows 10 and have you installed Intel's Chipset Drivers and Rapid Storage Technology drivers?
    By how you reinstalled Windows I mean did you Secure Erase the SSD prior or did you just use Windows' delete partitions etc?

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/60...benchmark.html

this one is pretty good

Speed test for both HDD and SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    This sounds eerily familiar to situations I've seen people in who've installed Windows on IDE mode.
    Check that in your BIOS that it's set to AHCI.

If it still occurs ... well please tell me how you reinstalled Windows 10 and have you installed Intel's Chipset Drivers and Rapid Storage Technology drivers?
    By how you reinstalled Windows I mean did you Secure Erase the SSD prior or did you just use Windows' delete partitions etc?
    I will go check in my bios in a moment but will answer your following questions in the meantime.

I removed my HDD sata cable and proceeded to boot in to windows 10 USB boot stick, I formatted all partitions on the SSD and deleted them after untill one was left, then proceeded to install windows 10. I installed the intel chipset drivers but not the rapid storage technology as I was informed this was useless unless I planned to run in a raid setup? (I have ran it on a few systems I build and never noticed a gain in performance either.)

- - - Updated - - -

These are my SSD speeds:

Compared it to a friends pc who has the EXACT same ssd and he has identical speeds running the identical test with a margin of 3mb difference per test (mine being faster.)

That being said the writing is kind of slow for both of us, not that its a big deal right now.

Gonna go check bios now.

It is set to AHCI and its using UEFI booting in the boot order. (I know the last thing you didn't ask for but figured i'd share that part).
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-08-17 at 07:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    <snip>
    Well it might be an idea to do the following:
    Download the latest copy of Linux' parted magic (or if you have an ASUS RoG mobo in the BIOS itself) and proceed to do 1 more reinstall.
    This time fully clearing the SSD by means of Secure Erase, it should show as a large eraser in PartedMagic and under Tools -> Secure Erase in ASUS RoG BIOS.

Secure Erasing the FLASH NAND isn't JUST for speed as on flash file remnants are left behind after deleting without TRIM.
    Deleting the partitions does not trigger TRIM so the junk is still there, Secure Erase clears it all in 1 swoop.
    (if asked to do enhanced secure erase always select no and go for the standard secure erase)

After that reinstall Windows 10 along with Chipset drivers as well as Rapid Storage Technology as RST is not means for RAID setups only.
    In fact they have 2 seperate downloads for RAID and AHCI setups, it installs new SATA drivers with instruction sets etc.
    This is obviously recommended for SSD use because of TRIM etc.

I'm pretty sure that by doing this you'll probably clear your dips out completely, if not ... well either your SATA cable/port is busted (seen it happen) or the SSD.
    My guess most of the time would be the SSD.. but I'd still like to rule it out completely by the mentioned actions.

Well it might be an idea to do the following:
    Download the latest copy of Linux' parted magic (or if you have an ASUS RoG mobo in the BIOS itself) and proceed to do 1 more reinstall.
    This time fully clearing the SSD by means of Secure Erase, it should show as a large eraser in PartedMagic and under Tools -> Secure Erase in ASUS RoG BIOS.

Secure Erasing the FLASH NAND isn't JUST for speed as on flash file remnants are left behind after deleting without TRIM.
    Deleting the partitions does not trigger TRIM so the junk is still there, Secure Erase clears it all in 1 swoop.
    (if asked to do enhanced secure erase always select no and go for the standard secure erase)

After that reinstall Windows 10 along with Chipset drivers as well as Rapid Storage Technology as RST is not means for RAID setups only.
    In fact they have 2 seperate downloads for RAID and AHCI setups, it installs new SATA drivers with instruction sets etc.
    This is obviously recommended for SSD use because of TRIM etc.

I'm pretty sure that by doing this you'll probably clear your dips out completely, if not ... well either your SATA cable/port is busted (seen it happen) or the SSD.
    My guess most of the time would be the SSD.. but I'd still like to rule it out completely by the mentioned actions.
    Hm I might be blind but I can only find IRST for raid? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005
    My motherboard is a Asus z87 pro incase thats relevant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Try this:
    http://www.station-drivers.com/index...d=2313&lang=en

This is the latest full package driver and Intel's download site is a mess.

Be sure to visit that site with a pop-up and ad blocker though.

Try this:
    http://www.station-drivers.com/index...d=2313&lang=en

This is the latest full package driver and Intel's download site is a mess.

Be sure to visit that site with a pop-up and ad blocker though.
    Thanks appreciate it, one final question, partedmagic costs money, is there a free alternative that works just as well?

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks appreciate it, one final question, partedmagic costs money, is there a free alternative that works just as well?
    Probably most of such Linux environments have that ability... I just don't know them.
    I believe Hiren's BootCD has it in it's Linux Environment as well.

These are my SSD speeds:
    What SSD do you have and did you optimize it? This is mine.