Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Speculation on casting is fine. Hence why I said why the thread was appropriate if it was about the movie.

Throwing around conspiracies about SJW-pandering isn't acceptable here, in this subforum. This subforum is for talking about media within the frame of the media itself. Now, if a director or an actor involved in the project (like Paul Feig, IE) says something about his movie, and the theory exists in a fact-based reality, sure, it's up for discussion.
    But MJ's red hair is iconic to the character, people are speculating on why they would change that.

There are examples of people questioning things like that all over this forum like a black guy being cast as the human torch, white people cast as egyptions, etc. I even questioned numerous times the casting of the whitest looking guy ever as Khan.

Deleted
    Oh wow its this topic again.

Five Spiderman films in 14 years... Only the first two of which were actually great, and now a third reboot of the same story?

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    But MJ's red hair is iconic to the character, people are speculating on why they would change that.

There are examples of people questioning things like that all over this forum like a black guy being cast as the human torch, white people cast as egyptions, etc. I even questioned numerous times the casting of the whitest looking guy ever as Khan.
    Not really much to discuss. You are conflating several issues which shouldn't be conflated:

Black human torch is fine: Human Torch's skin color has never been an integral part of his character.
    White people playing Egyptian Gods is Dumb: Egyptian gods should probably look Egyptian. Kind of makes sense
    Khan can be whatever race they want Khan to be: Race has never been an integral part of his character. Being genetically engineered to be a soldier is, which has very little to do with whatever race he ends up looking like.

Likewise, Black Kingpin worked perfectly fine, because the kingpin's race is not a defining trait of his character. His background is.

Yes, there are quite often times where certain physical aspects of a character ARE integral parts of the character. Angel without "angel wings" (feathered or metallic) wouldn't really be Angel. James bond can be pretty much whatever race of man you want him to be, so long as he is the suave, charming, secret agent everybody knows. James bond unfortunately doesn't really work as a woman however, because there is something about the character that is inherently masculine, with his ladykiller antics, that just does not work no matter how hard you try when you try to reverse the genders in the equation. She could act like James bond down to a tee, but would still just seem wrong.

And as I pointed out before, despite what you want to think, MJ's hair color is not a defining trait of her character. There is absolutely nothing about the "character" of Mary Jane Watson that requires her to be a red head except that that is how she is drawn.

You need to be able to take a step back, look at the larger picture of what makes a character a character, and understand the core of many characters, the actual important bits that define them, is often not the full 100% of what makes up the character as we see them.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-08-20 at 10:27 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    All this talk about red hair. Did people forget hair dye is a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post

And as I pointed out before, despite what you want to think, MJ's hair color is not a defining trait of her character. There is absolutely nothing about the "character" of Mary Jane Watson that requires her to be a red head except that that is how she is drawn.
    Except that her fiery red hair is literally the ONE thing she is known for outside of being married to Spider-man. Take any comic fan, or hell, anyone with even a very mild knowledge of Spider-man, ask them to name ONE fact about Mary Jane other than her marriage to Spider-man, and every one of them will tell you she's a red head. Hell, I have read a ton of Spider-man, and even I can barely tell you much about her aside from her hair color.

Quote Originally Posted by t1saif View Post
    Member member ?

Deleted
    Pretty bad trailer.

Spiderman looks like a video game character.
    And Sony pretty mutch gave away the whole movie with this trailer.
    Did not see any new takes on spiderman what we did not see before.

So atm this will be a movie i will just stream online.
    Last edited by mmoc2b606a4969; 2017-03-29 at 02:26 AM.

People got over black widow not being a red head in The Avengers. And they got over quicksilver and Wanda not being mutants and nick fury being black and so many other damn things, I'm sure they will get over this too. That said, it will be weird to not having spidey call her "red" but I guess she can still call him "tiger".

I really wish they would just make some decent new heroes of other ethnicities instead of changing old favorites fit. I no more want a black wolverine then I want a white Storm. Also I miss the first nick fury, that dude looked way better then the one they replaced him with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

The Nick Fury in the MCU is based on Ultimates Nick Fury, so there was nothing to get over.

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    People got over black widow not being a red head in The Avengers.
    I thought she was a redhead in avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I thought she was a redhead in avengers.
    Yeah, she was. Not sure what version of Avengers he was watching where she wasn't...

She's not playing MJ, shes playing Michele a different love interest. If she was really MJ, she would at least of had red highlights in her hair as nod towards that part of MJ.

the trailer looks like it'll be decent enough, and they finally figured out the kind of actor to play a "young" Parker. I doubt it'll rock anyone's socks off at this point but it wont suck, hopefully.

Trailer makes it look like a Iron Man movie + some 'son' drama tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Five Spiderman films in 14 years... Only the first two of which were actually great, and now a third reboot of the same story?

No thanks.
    But but but this time there is a black love interest pseudo Mary Jane bro. Diversity!

Looks like shit, another of those "find yourself" is not the suit is whats inside plot.

Zzzzzzz

I thought Justice League looked bad but at least they didnt cast a black Wonder Woman cuzz diversity

10+ Year Old Account
    But if she's black she's strong and independant who don't need no spiderman

10+ Year Old Account
    So Michael Keaton is in this? And he is playing as Bird Man?

Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    So Michael Keaton is in this? And he is playing as Bird Man?
    It his batman suit from Batman Beyond!