Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    How exactly would it have helped if the president was on the ground?

As it was, Katrina had the largest emergency response in American history.
    There is a long list of what went wrong with Katrina, from the late response to unqualified appointees running the agencies. If you feel like making a Bush did not do anything wrong during Katrina thread feel free though I doubt you will get many supporting that argument.

Am I supposed to be glad Trump is using the backdrop of human suffering to go on a photo shoot in Louisiana? Or am I supposed to be glad that he used his own money to get there but none on relief work? I'm not getting how he's helping anyone other than himself here. How is that leadership? Sounds like the world's orangest, depressing pageant to me.

President Obama has been on vacation during the floods, and did not see a reason to show his support and assistance as the president of the United States to the citizens afflicted:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2757270

But at least he has allowed for grown men to go into the same toilet as little girls and paid 400 million to Iran within the last few weeks, a country that is dedicated to wipe out the USA and the west.

Hillary Clinton, who has evaded prosecution for gross misconduct in revealing classified US information over her leaky personal servers is being endorsed by this very same Obama. This is just a gentle reminder to reconsider voting Trump, he's not even half the monster the media executives are trying their hardest to portray him as.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Every thread seems to get politicized, so I'm not surprised this one has as well, but the answer can be found if you just follow the money (as is most often the case).

Kudos to 'unbound', who linked the Salon article from the previous page along with the quote. I'd distill it even further to these three sentences:

There is no such thing as television news in this country. There are networks that peddle entertainment under the guise of news. Networks care about narratives, stories they can fit into familiar boxes and bundle for audiences.
    As for those who have no sympathy for what the people in Louisiana are suffering right now because "flood plain lol", who don't care that they may be there for family, for work or for other reasons ... one can only hope that you're never in a position where you have to rely on the compassion of others. Maybe a time like this isn't the best time to say "they deserve it".
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgrym View Post
    Every thread seems to get politicized, so I'm not surprised this one has as well, but the answer can be found if you just follow the money (as is most often the case).

Kudos to 'unbound', who linked the Salon article from the previous page along with the quote. I'd distill it even further to these three sentences:

As for those who have no sympathy for what the people in Louisiana are suffering right now because "flood plain lol", who don't care that they may be there for family, for work or for other reasons ... one can only hope that you're never in a position where you have to rely on the compassion of others. Maybe a time like this isn't the best time to say "they deserve it".
    I didn't "lol" at their plight. All I was saying is that Its hard to have a ton of sympathy for folks who choose to live on a coastal flood plain, and expect the govt to pay for their losses. There is a reason why most insurance companies refuse to write homeowners or renters policies in the area.

I made this thread with the hopes that maybe it'd spread awareness, not to debate politics. No one here gives a damn about the politics around the situation, Trump, Obama, Clinton, they aren't the ones that would actually hop in a boat to rescue others/save precious items/etc. What matters right now is helping those that need it get basic necessities and help to clean up and re-stabilize the communities that were affected. I am hoping that those able to actually help get the message and come to make a difference. The worst is passing but there is still a LONG way to go for many people.

If that's something that sounds stupid to you, then it is obviously not targeted at you.

"Common sense would say get the fuck out"

K
    Last edited by Kurve1776; 2016-08-19 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed.

What's in treating to most is how the media eviserated bush for a perceived indifference during hurricane Katrina, but isn't saying a peep about Obama.
    False equivalency detected. The criticism of Bush included a slow and insufficient response to Katrina.

In the current case the government acted quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Unfortunately some people don't have the financial means to make that choice.....
    Some..what about the others
    http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...39_rect/13_zm/

Quote Originally Posted by Akani View Post
    Am I supposed to be glad Trump is using the backdrop of human suffering to go on a photo shoot in Louisiana? Or am I supposed to be glad that he used his own money to get there but none on relief work? I'm not getting how he's helping anyone other than himself here. How is that leadership? Sounds like the world's orangest, depressing pageant to me.
    Let's be honest. You're so conditioned on what to think and feel that if Trump hadn't gone down there but Hillary had then you'd be bashing Trump for not caring.

Trump is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't with regressives. At least maybe the people of Louisiana will feel like at least SOMEONE cares about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
    Hillary Clinton, who has evaded prosecution for gross misconduct in revealing classified US information over her leaky personal servers is being endorsed by this very same Obama. This is just a gentle reminder to reconsider voting Trump, he's not even half the monster the media executives are trying their hardest to portray him as.
    roflmao the media has not made Trump into a monster, he has done that to himself. All the damage done to Donald Trump's image was done by him every time he opens his mouth the word salad that comes out scares people. Trump supporters need to smell the manure, if Trump had pivot like the GOP wanted he would be leading or tying Hillary in the polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurve1776 View Post
    I made this thread with the hopes that maybe it'd spread awareness, not to debate politics. No one here gives a damn about the politics around the situation, Trump, Obama, Clinton, they aren't the ones that would actually hop in a boat to rescue others/save precious items/etc. What matters right now is helping those that need it get basic necessities and help to clean up and re-stabilize the communities that were affected. I am hoping that those able to actually help get the message and come to make a difference. The worst is passing but there is still a LONG way to go for many people.

If that's something that sounds stupid to you, then it is obviously not targeted at you.

"Common sense would say get the fuck out"

K
    bwahahaha.
    wrong time and place to think this wouldn't devolve instantly into politics. truth be told this seems to happen almost every year, which at least to me is why few people really care. the media even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    The federal government is already in full motion to help the flooding victims.

The call for Obama to be there is just politics. There is just about zero effect his presence will have given that the wheels are already in motion to provide aid.
    pretty much this. FEMA exists for a reason, the president doesn't direct every single agency on what to do for each specific event. They handle it and brief him. It's clearly just to score political points in an election season. Yes he should have cut his vacation short and went out there but it was going to be merely for symbolic purposes anyway. Bush only ended up going out there because people called him out on it..so I imagine Obama will end up doing the same.

At the end of the day, the media should be covering what people in Louisiana need and where to donate or who to call to offer assistance and not covering trump, hillary or obama for a day or two.

I don't have time to do a ton of research on it but a quick google search reveals articles such as this one:
    But you do have time to type this crap on MMOC.

Yeah you just proved my point......Not many hot sellers in that area eh?
    You have homes on the market of over $300k, those people have wealth. That was my point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    pretty much this. FEMA exists for a reason, the president doesn't direct every single agency on what to do for each specific event. They handle it and brief him. It's clearly just to score political points in an election season. Yes he should have cut his vacation short and went out there but it was going to be merely for symbolic purposes anyway. Bush only ended up going out there because people called him out on it..so I imagine Obama will end up doing the same.

At the end of the day, the media should be covering what people in Louisiana need and where to donate or who to call to offer assistance and not covering trump, hillary or obama for a day or two.
    So you mean the criticism, Bush got for Flying over New Orleans was just manufactured outrage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    False equivalency detected. The criticism of Bush included a slow and insufficient response to Katrina.

In the current case the government acted quickly.
    Man that victim complex is kicking in faster and faster every day, started with the fifth post in this thread and now they're all coming out of the woodwork.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

GWB wasn't in Louisiana within 8 hours of Katrina = "OMG the president is EVIL, SELFISH, and HATES BLACK PPL!"

Obama after Louisiana floods basically says "Fuck it, I'm not going there. I'm golfing" = "OMG who cares?! The president doesn't have to be there!"

lol, just lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately some people don't have the financial means to make that choice.....
    Aren't you the one always going on about people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and fixing their own shit?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

I didn't "lol" at their plight. All I was saying is that Its hard to have a ton of sympathy for folks who choose to live on a coastal flood plain, and expect the govt to pay for their losses. There is a reason why most insurance companies refuse to write homeowners or renters policies in the area.
    You keep saying this but you are talking right out of your ass. Most of the areas that have flooded in this event have never flooded before. I'd like to see what happens to your community when it takes 24" of rain in a 48 hour period. Will they band together to help each other or will they just stick their hands in their pockets and go "meh, those poor people shouldn't have built a house in that area that has never flooded before."?

These kinds of events are only going to become more common...

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things are at play:

1. The US gets a lot of floods now. More floods than ever, at least it seems that way. Last year, it was South Carolina that was being "ignored".
    2. There is a limit to viable "on the ground" reporting in a flood zone. Not only is getting around very difficult - especially with any kind of camera equipment in tow - but frankly reporters are IN THE DAMN WAY.
    3. To the local LA paper bitching about Obama not being in LA right now: see above. If he came there, while RESCUE operations are still being conducted, he would be IN THE DAMN WAY. In fact the governor has asked that he not come until they are past the search & rescue portion of the event, which is still ongoing.
    4. The federal government, per the state's governor, has done EVERYTHING he needs them to do - personnel, funds, everything he has asked for he has gotten from Obama, FEMA, and Homeland Security.

If the media has failed anywhere, it's simply in reminding people that organizations like the Red Cross could use donations to help provide for those who have been displaced. But with the Olympics going on, and dumbass Donald Trump sucking all the air out of the room, plus fools like Ryan Lochte & Buds doing dumbass stuff and then lying about the dumbass stuff they did... well.

But here's the thing: the "media" in this country is smaller than ever. Where things really happen these days is social media, which is comprised of regular citizens. If the regular citizens care about an issue, it goes viral. So honestly it seems that regular citizens aren't caring much about what is happening in LA. I don't know why that is true, but it is true. It is very sad, but true. And so even if the six o clock news talked about LA nonstop, that would not make people care more.

So, i don't know. Rather than start a thread on a gaming message board, maybe you should make a hashtag and try to get it to go viral by getting people with lots of followers to post about it. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurve1776 View Post
    So I've been noticing that the U.S. media is once again showing how little they actually care about news and how they care much more about what will get them ratings.

I don't have time to do a ton of research on it but a quick google search reveals articles such as this one:

http://rare.us/story/is-the-mainstre...ged-louisiana/

Basically the only help these people are getting is from locals that had the luck to not get caught in the MASSIVE amount of flooding happening, THOUSANDS of lives have been completely destroyed and no one outside the state seems to know/care. This is happening less than an hour away from me, and my god am I proud to live in this state the amount of help that the locals have given each other is worthy of the news on its own, but if the media would have even reported a tiny bit on the issue I'm positive things would be going much better than they are. I will be heading over to help where I can myself, cursing the media the whole way there.

Sorry I know this isn't the most informative post but I am really upset that there's only so much I can do, while the ones that have the potential to make the biggest difference are seemingly ignoring us.
    Really? I see it all over the place, even in european media. What news sites are you looking at?