144hz screen questions

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 144hz screen, and I'm wondering:

• Can I know how much FPS I'm going to get (in WoW, mainly) with my current hardware?
    • Can I play with 60+ FPS on windowed fullscreen or windowed mode (someone told me I couldn't)?
    • Lastly, is it worth it?

Thanks!

For WoW 144 is not worth it much. Its okay, but I lower my FPS max anyway to avoid recoil whine on my GPU so...

But many 1080p 144 hertz IPS 24 inch exsist now, they are cheap...I like my asus vg248qe
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meagree View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading to a 144hz screen, and I'm wondering:

• Can I know how much FPS I'm going to get (in WoW, mainly) with my current hardware?
    • Can I play with 60+ FPS on windowed fullscreen or windowed mode (someone told me I couldn't)?
    • Lastly, is it worth it?

Thanks!
    More info is needed to really answer your questions.

1080p or 1440p @ 144hz?

What is your current cpu/gpu?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ehm, and what is your current hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    More info is needed to really answer your questions.

1080p or 1440p @ 144hz?

What is your current cpu/gpu?
    I wasn't really asking for specifics but more if it's a possibility.

1080p I'd say, 1440p seems like it'd be too much to handle as I've got a GTX 760 and an i5 4670K.

15+ Year Old Account
    For wow alone, no it isn't worth it to get a 144hz monitor.

You can probably get 120+ if you turn down the settings low enough. You aren't going to get anywhere close to max settings in wow and see good fps. But that is more wow than anything else. A Titan Xp and a 6700 can struggle with wow at max.

Frankly, spend your money on a new video card instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    For WoW 144 is not worth it much. Its okay, but I lower my FPS max anyway to avoid recoil whine on my GPU so...

But many 1080p 144 hertz IPS 24 inch exsist now, they are cheap...I like my asus vg248qe
    Same. Got it limited to 90 in WoW, since I really don't see much difference with 144FPS in WoW. But 60 doesn't feel smooth enough anymore for me.

A 144Hz Screen is great for FPS, lile Battlefield or even Casualgames like Overwatch that easily run on 144FPS.

Deleted
    144hz is still benefitial even if you don't have 144fps.

I play on a 120hz monitor but capped most of my games to 60fps. Once you go high refresh rate you can't go back though. Biggest difference is the feel of the mouse and the strain on your eyes. Looking at a 60hz monitor hurts my eyes now ^^

Of course optimal is 144hz at rock solid 144fps with G-Sync, but that is not really doable in most games.

Quote Originally Posted by Meagree View Post
    I wasn't really asking for specifics but more if it's a possibility.

1080p I'd say, 1440p seems like it'd be too much to handle as I've got a GTX 760 and an i5 4670K.
    well... go into your game, look at the fps. Play around and see if it ever drops bellow 150fps. Honestly, it probably does, because while questing or raiding, you can easily get 150 fps with your hardware, when you gonna move in dalaran, it's gonna drop to around 60 (Ctrl+R). The game is simply not very good for steady performance. If it's only for wow, I would not buy a 144hz monitor, unless your current monitor died or something.

144hz monitor make more sense on fast paced action games. I never tried one so I can't be sure if it gives you that much more, but I guess it would, as back in my Counter-Strike 1.6 days, my CRT 90hz monitor felt way smoother and better than my Samsung LCD at 60hz.

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    For wow alone, no it isn't worth it to get a 144hz monitor.

You can probably get 120+ if you turn down the settings low enough. You aren't going to get anywhere close to max settings in wow and see good fps. But that is more wow than anything else. A Titan Xp and a 6700 can struggle with wow at max.

Frankly, spend your money on a new video card instead.
    Let's say I did want at least 100+ FPS in WoW, with 1080p - what would I need to upgrade to reach it? Is the CPU fine?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    well... go into your game, look at the fps. Play around and see if it ever drops bellow 150fps. Honestly, it probably does, because while questing or raiding, you can easily get 150 fps with your hardware, when you gonna move in dalaran, it's gonna drop to around 60 (Ctrl+R). The game is simply not very good for steady performance. If it's only for wow, I would not buy a 144hz monitor, unless your current monitor died or something.

144hz monitor make more sense on fast paced action games. I never tried one so I can't be sure if it gives you that much more, but I guess it would, as back in my Counter-Strike 1.6 days, my CRT 90hz monitor felt way smoother and better than my Samsung LCD at 60hz.
    I'm currently using a 1920x1080 60hz screen and a 60hz TV screen (42") and I want to change to a double monitor setup and am looking for excuses to get a 144hz screen, basically.

EDIT: on that note, will I be able to get over 60 FPS with a 144hz screen if I'm also using a 60hz screen?

To run on ultra you're really going to be cranking on your cpu to get 144+ fps stable. Great in arena and dungeons though.

Deleted
    Personally i noticed a big difference with 144hz compared to 60hz, but that also requires you to play at 140~ fps to get the full effect, and to do that in wow you need to calibrate the ingame settings to be able to handle it regardless of hardware.

You can however turn a few specific settings down in wow and still make it look amazing, when i run 5 man dungeons i get 180-300 fps depending on scenario with high settings overall.

- - - Updated - - -

I might add i got abit better hardware than you do aswell.

I guess I'm the only one that gets annoying coil whine :d Most games where I play above 105-120 FPS it starts to come. Happy that WoW has enabler to reduce max and background FPS.

But yea, if OP plays FPS games or a bit more active games than WoW Id say its a OK buy.

I dont play either, but I needed a new screen since last one broke...even replacing cap's didn't work sigh....fucking china, at what price do we get from having all manufactured in such shitty quality, I say equal wages and work rights for all globally....was totally happy with my screen, it was even a odd 1200p screen, so little bigger than my now 1080p...

...but ehm yea....as my 1st reply said...144 1080p is so cheap now days you might as well get one. Of course you can buy 24 inch 1080p for like 100 dollar's to...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I guess I'm the only one that gets annoying coil whine :d Most games where I play above 105-120 FPS it starts to come. Happy that WoW has enabler to reduce max and background FPS.
    Most video cards don't have coil whine.