Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    I have never seen or heard of anyone doing this.
    You probably never heard about anyone doing serious overclocking too.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You probably never heard about anyone doing serious overclocking too.
    My 4770k is OC'd to 4.5. And has been since shortly after its launch when I purchased it. I check the temps every few months and it hasn't changed.

Three years later. No paste change.

My 4770k is OC'd to 4.5. And has been since shortly after its launch when I purchased it. I check the temps every few months and it hasn't changed.

Three years later. No paste change.
    Told you why, you probably applied a lot of paste so it's still good. You could probably get better temperatures (if your heatsink is heavy enough) but it's not important for you because 4.5Ghz is not serious OC.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Told you why, you probably applied a lot of paste so it's still good. You could probably get better temperatures (if your heatsink is heavy enough) but it's not important for you because 4.5Ghz is not serious OC.
    3.5 to 4.5 is not serious? Not going for world records here.

Deleted
    Never had to worry about TP quality, just take whatever. It's always nice to have a bit lying around, never know when a relative with 6 years old laptop might come by.

Usually not enough to push it to the temperature limit where every degree matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    This isn't true. A good paste can make substantial difference, like > 5 degrees of Celsius or so.
    Unless you go with the liquid metal stuff, not really.

Not even a 3 degree difference, unless you want to count the much much more expensive liquid metal options. Even at that though, they are only offereing about another 2-3 degrees over the best pastes and only 11.5 degree difference from denture cream. Personally, I did use the Coolaboratory liquid pro on my current builds, just for the hell of it, but at the temps my CPU stays at, even under stress test, I'd be fine with denture cream. Toothpaste might be getting a little hot under stress test, but appears as though it would be fine under normal usage. So no, not really a substantial difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering the default turbo boost is 3.9, not 3.5, it's only about half the OC you think it is, and yeah, not that much. 4.5 is a pretty average OC for that CPU, not serious at all.

Poster you quoting is corrent, it's recommended to reapply thermal paste on the CPU every year if it has been applied properly (thin layer) and the paste itself applies well. You can apply more paste so that you wont have to change it that often, but your temperatures will be higher.
    --- snipped off, misread the post, sorry ----

And the aging. Yes, paste will flow off from there to some extent over time, while a good part of the solids will not go anywhere. Thermal cycling accelerates this to some degree. Now the question is, when does this effect become relevant. And the answer is: when the system starts to overheat / become unstable / throttle. If none of that happens, few degrees here and there make no difference. And since judging by OP's CPU, which is not a "K-model," any serious overclocking is not part of the plan. In the non-overclocked systems I've had or heard of since the 90s, be the system 1 or 5+ years old, they have had no overheat issues whatsoever if they have had none to begin with.

What comes to serious overclocking where every degree counts, I'd still however recommend the same: If the system shows no signs of overheating, why bother?

edit: misread the quoted post. removed irrelevant part
    Last edited by ifrah; 2016-08-23 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ifrah View Post
    Applying more paste makes it better? How about no? The paste is no magic stuff that makes everything so much better. In the best ideal scenario you would not want to ruin the thermal conductivity with anything. However, as we know from high school, every surface is uneven. And ideally you want to fill those cavities that will form between these surfaces, not to create some wicked sandwich.

And the aging. Yes, paste will flow off from there to some extent over time, while a good part of the solids will not go anywhere. Thermal cycling accelerates this to some degree. Now the question is, when does this effect become relevant. And the answer is: when the system starts to overheat / become unstable / throttle. If none of that happens, few degrees here and there make no difference. And since judging by OP's CPU, which is not a "K-model," any serious overclocking is not part of the plan. And in the non-overclocked systems I've had since the 90s, even HW running 7+ years have had no overheat issues whatsoever if they have had none to begin with.
    I do not see anywhere where he said the word better. He said that it lasts longer but gives higher temps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Poster you quoting is corrent, it's recommended to reapply thermal paste on the CPU every year if it has been applied properly (thin layer) and the paste itself applies well. You can apply more paste so that you wont have to change it that often, but your temperatures will be higher.
    i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz using the same Arctic Silver 5 since I bought it in 2011.

Every year is excessive. Every few years? Perhaps.

Also, this is in a thread where the OP has a non-K CPU, so there's no 5GHz+ overclocking going on.