Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As an ex raider: Good change.
    When I saw the Kromog addon in action, my first thought was "this thing does too much, I'm basically mindlessly following an arrow to my position".

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Mythic+ dungeons may not be casual, but they're still non-competitive. It's likely that their true intention is trying to artificially slow down people's rate of content consumption speed, because expansions have to last for 2+ years now.
    Define competitive: They are timed with leaderboards, the same as Challenge modes were, and the difficulty ramps up as high as any raid that will be in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    I think people who say this stuff either haven't completed a raid on mythic (heroic) ever, or raid entirely in LFR.

I would really love to see any guild complete Archimonde Mythic without an addon tracking the lazers. They would have to run only rogue melee, and all range would have to be wearing stamina trinkets and be spam healed in 735+ ilvl.

Sorry but some mechanics are just too ridiculous. They are designed WITH addons in mind. If you honestly think Blizzard designs their mythic encounters with no addons in mind, you're crazy.
    And that's the issue no boss should be made with addons in mind disable them and this will not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Define competitive: They are timed with leaderboards, the same as Challenge modes were, and the difficulty ramps up as high as any raid that will be in the game.
    Scoreboards last a week.
    Next week those scores are irrelevant, so blizzard can adjust in ways they could not with the current challenge modes.
    If they render an old time impossible to achieve again, by fixing for example an everbloom like shortcut, then it doesn't matter.
    They talked about that in the Slootag video.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereaperszone View Post
    And that's the issue no boss should be made with addons in mind disable them and this will not be an issue.
    If there is a way, players will find a way of doing it.
    Whether blizzard intended it or not.
    And there are certain addons blizzard don't seem to mind, basically information on timers and auras.
    So that means in general things like WeakAuras, TellMeWhen, NeedToKnow, GTFO, etc are safe, and something blizzard may well expect people to be using.
    There is no reason for addons to go completely.
    The default UI simply does not suit everyone.
    If you are simply improving the display of information to better aid decision making, then there is nothing wrong with doing that.

The only way for blizzard to realistically go addon-free is to hugely improve the variety of ways the default can display information.
    Basically taking the most common ways that players display information, bars, timers, alternative sounds, and add them all to the default.
    That is in my view a more difficult thing to achieve, in being inclusive of the needs of the majority than how they approach things now.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-08-21 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Scoreboards last a week.
    Next week those scores are irrelevant, so blizzard can adjust in ways they could not with the current challenge modes.
    If they render an old time impossible to achieve again, by fixing for example an everbloom like shortcut, then it doesn't matter.
    They talked about that in the Slootag video.

And how exactly does that make it non-competitive?

Mythic+ dungeons may not be casual, but they're still non-competitive. It's likely that their true intention is trying to artificially slow down people's rate of content consumption speed, because expansions have to last for 2+ years now.
    So you believe their intention is to artificially slow down content consumption because legion will last longer by using a president they set 6 years ago when they broke AVR?

Wow, Blizzard really played the long game on that one. Breaking a mod 6 years ago so they could prolong content today...
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    And how exactly does that make it non-competitive?
    What it means is that the competitive part lasts a week.
    If blizzard wanted to adjust that in any way they can do so.
    Be that adjusting the encounter, adjusting any ability, or even dealing with an addon issue.
    It then has no long-term impact on the integrity of the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Imo it is not bad thing for addons to help players. I had a bad computer in WOTLK and I couldn't see some badly colored fires on Obsidium Sanctum 3 dragons (if I remember correctly). Now if blizzard can't color dangerous mechanics properly to accommodate for not so good PC then an addon would be handy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the point in disabling UnitPosition in raids, but why the hell disable it in dungeons too? 5man content is casual non-competitive content.
    Mythic plus dungeons are anything but casual non-competitive content.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    Yes i did read it. You come off as thinking raiding will be impossible without these addons. He (Sloot) said during the interview that there are similar (to Archimonde lazer) bosses already in The Nighthold and nobody knows anything about Gul'Dan yet but Watcher said that Gul'Dan will also have mechanics that could use these addons. It didn't sound like he thought Archimonde would be impossible without these addons, in that interview at least. Now he might say something else off-camera but unless you know the guy you shouldn't talk for him.
    yet you can ?

yet you can ?
    What? He said that in the interview with WatcherDev and afterwards when he summed it up. I did in no way speak for Sloot. He welcomed the change saying "now we'll have to use our brains again".

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    Good, addons was running out of control and Blizzard had to add more and more complex mechanics to make up for the addons to keep making hard content.
    It's the other way around. Blizz added more and more complex mechanics that pushed the capabilities of most peoples situational awareness and peripheral vision. To make things fun again we developed addons that gave us a representation of things that would be near impossible for us other wise (like figuring out how far six meters in game space is...). They won't scale back mechanics after this, they will keep getting more and more complex until dedication and practice are no longer enough to overcome the genetic gap.

What? He said that in the interview with WatcherDev and afterwards when he summed it up. I did in no way speak for Sloot. He welcomed the change saying "now we'll have to use our brains again".
    Hes in an interview with a Blizz employee being sponsered. Hes not going to challenge the guy on the ridiculous and impossible mechanics like the lazers on Archimonde

Hes in an interview with a Blizz employee being sponsered. Hes not going to challenge the guy on the ridiculous and impossible mechanics like the lazers on Archimonde
    He talked about it when Watcher was gone and said the exact same thing. But Watcher did say that they would probably have nerfed the lazers if there wasnt an addon for it. It would've been too easy if they nerfed it with the addon out.

7+ Year Old Account
    He talked about it when Watcher was gone and said the exact same thing. But Watcher did say that they would probably have nerfed the lazers if there wasnt an addon for it. It would've been too easy if they nerfed it with the addon out.
    I don't think that will happen. If they won't design such ridiculous mechanics like razers, why should they be afraid of the API like UnitPosition? Why did they not nerf the lazer directly without removing APIs?

That means they just want to design such ridiculous mechanics and don't want you to use addons to solve this issue to make the game extremely anti-human.

Ridiculous addons are always designed because of ridiculous MECHANICS

- - - Updated - - -

The fact is people who hate addons are shit. Because they don't know how this game works

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys know how much damage this change will happen? At least 1 million codebase need be changed, 90% of addons will not work. Addon-haters, please give us 1billion dollar for changing these code.

Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    Do you guys know how much damage this change will happen? At least 1 million codebase need be changed, 90% of addons will not work. Addon-haters, please give us 1billion dollar for changing these code.
    Stop pulling numbers out of your ass.

Damage is nowhere close to what you say. Moreover, NO ONE OWES US ANYTHING, neither users, nor Blizzard. Addon development is a hobby, and should be treated as such, if you're doing it trying to earn money, you're doing wrong thing, well, unless someone hires you to write custom addons.
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-08-22 at 03:16 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Stop pulling numbers out of your ass.

Damage is nowhere close to what you say. Moreover, NO ONE OWES US ANYTHING, neither users, nor Blizzard. Addon development is a hobby, and should be treated as such, if you're doing it trying to earn money, you're doing wrong thing, well, unless someone hires you to write custom addons.
    Addons are all open-sourced and no one will use it to earn money. API changing wastes lots of time of author of addons, which will make them lost money during the progression.
    Time == money.

Honestly there's only a handful of addons that I couldn't do without. Most of which don't use player tracking. This probably won't hurt raid design either, Blizz already has some boss abilities show their range in a circle around you. They'll either do something like that or have some other way to make it manageable.

I hope range radars will stay. I hate trying to tell who is five, eight, or ten yards away from me and who is not...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KayOfGames View Post
    I hope range radars will stay. I hate trying to tell who is five, eight, or ten yards away from me and who is not...
    But if UnitPosition is removed, radars won't stay because the radars are all made by this API.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Honestly there's only a handful of addons that I couldn't do without.
    Not a handful. Nearly all large ACE addons must use this API (DBM ,BIGWIGS, ElvUI). Many small addons also need. For example, some small addons like monitoring transcendence for monk. It is impossible to track it without this API.