Looking to code an iOS app.

Lots of smart people on here, especially in the tech department. Anyone here have any experience developing an app, particularly on the iOS platform?

I have extremely basic C++ knowledge, but haven't done anything with that for about 10 years - so I was just going to hop into Swift 3 and work in XCode. Am I on the right track?

The general overview of the app is a collection game where people collect use parts to build stuff. All 2D.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Lots of smart people on here, especially in the tech department. Anyone here have any experience developing an app, particularly on the iOS platform?

I have extremely basic C++ knowledge, but haven't done anything with that for about 10 years - so I was just going to hop into Swift 3 and work in XCode. Am I on the right track?

The general overview of the app is a collection game where people collect use parts to build stuff. All 2D.

I really cannot answer the question as you didn't specify much. If you are a beginner, judging from your comment "Basic C++ Knowledge" then I would suggest to learn how to program, this is the first vital step whilst learning how to program, Python should be your first language to learn, since it is easier to learn and it would give you basic knowledge of 'programming. Remember again, Learning programming and learning a programming language are two different things. I've been programming since Age 13 and I got the skills to learn any programming language in couple of days, since I mastered the 'learn programming bit'

Swift at the moment is a young language and it is not known if it will be useful in like 3-5 years time, though its subjective. If you want to do any thing with programming, you need to start with basic and learn how they function.

What I mean by "learn programming first:

Print statements
    functions
    scripts
    Data Types
    Loops
    Arrays
    Variables

Just learn the foundation first and then apply that foundation to every language you desire, ofcourse every langauge has different syntax, but it takes couple of days to learn.
    Last edited by mmoceb308a7d21; 2016-08-20 at 09:14 PM.

ya am pro dvlepr

Actually I made a few apps. I made apps cross platform (meaning coding for Android and iOS at the same time) by myself. Actually most of the people on my MMO-C friend's list had to test the apps for me and give me advice lolololol those poor bitches. And then more recently the company I work for wanted to make an iOS app for a certain thing, so they outsourced the work. The outsourced guys didn't want to do a certain part of the app so guess who had to code part of the functionality. But those losers were old school and didn't use Swift, they used fucking Objective C so I had to use that too.

Advice:

Sure I guess Swift works. Can't say I've used it but definitely if you're using X-Code that's fine. Especially if all of your coding is on a Mac and you're not coding with anyone else.

Not really sure what else to say since you didn't ask a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    ya am pro dvlepr

Actually I made a few apps. I made apps cross platform (meaning coding for Android and iOS at the same time) by myself. Actually most of the people on my MMO-C friend's list had to test the apps for me and give me advice lolololol those poor bitches. And then more recently the company I work for wanted to make an iOS app for a certain thing, so they outsourced the work. The outsourced guys didn't want to do a certain part of the app so guess who had to code part of the functionality. But those losers were old school and didn't use Swift, they used fucking Objective C so I had to use that too.

Advice:

Sure I guess Swift works. Can't say I've used it but definitely if you're using X-Code that's fine. Especially if all of your coding is on a Mac and you're not coding with anyone else.

Not really sure what else to say since you didn't ask a lot.

Only thing I hate about programming is documentation xD

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you have a mac then you can go ahead and make an app for ios. If you know any javascript you could also try building your app with React Native.

I'd probably look around youtube and watch some tutorials on Swift, so that you can get up to speed.
    Black Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post

As Kayn pointed out, how "extremely basic" is your c++ knowledge? Do you know the bread&butter side, listed by Kayn as well, & classes, which are roughly the same apart from the syntax of course on most languages? If yes, just choose the whatever framework you choose.
    I don't have experience from iOS side in particular, but for the very beginning at least the Android framework took longer than expected to get into (has been sort of a side-side-side quest for me :P), even though I had a handful of experience from console, windows and embedded environment, and I would definitely not recommend starting (almost) from the scratch using the mobile systems.