Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb I know it probably won't happen but I want a Single-Player Version of WoW

A True Single-Player version of the game: Just you and the world. If you want to play with people, that's what the sub is for. While the sub is active, you can seamlessly switch between online and offline modes.

Some of the mechanics needed to do this already exist in game and more specifically, Starter Edition Accounts and PTR. The Dynamic Scaling introduced in Legion certainly blew the door open in that regard. They wouldn't really have to change much, either. Offline Mode would just build off of all three.

Here are some of the changes that would need to happen for it to work:

• For Dungeons and Raids, you're joined by NPCs instead of players. When doing old content or after the first clear, you're given the option of going it alone or being backed up by NPCs.
    • You can copy characters from the Online Version to the Offline Version. The reverse would also be possible but you would be prompted to overwrite one of the two if one exists already on the server.
    • Certain achievements (PvP as well as some Raid and Dungeon Achievements) would remain exclusive to Online Mode.
    • Certain gear (ie. Legendaries some Some Epics) would remain exclusive to Online Mode.
    • Instead of getting disconnected, the game will switch to Offline Mode when the connection is lost. If you were in an instance when you lost the connection you'll be booted from the instance. When the connection is reestablished, you will be able to return to the instance if it is still in progress.
    • Certain Online-Only Features can be accessed from Offline Mode. Specifically Mail, the Auction House, Battlegrounds and Arenas. If you have no active sub, you will still be able to use the mailbox but will have limited use of the AH.
    • The Max Level gear you can get in Online Mode will always be better quality than the gear you can get in Offline Mode (Highest would be Normal Raid Difficulty quality).
    • The Collections UI would be seamless between Online Mode and Offline Mode.
    • There will be a hard cap of how much Gold per week you can transfer between Offline Mode and Online Mode but not the reverse (250,000G sounds reasonable).
    • You will have increased storage in Offline Mode.
    • Pre-Expansion Events and the Darkmoon Faire would be Online Exclusive.
    • Certain Holiday Events would either be Online Exclusive or work differently in Offline Mode.
    • In Offline Mode, Non-Healer classes will have additional options available to them. For example you could buy a potion that passively heals you for a set amount of time. You can also buy an item that will allow you to rez you at death.
    • You will be able to gain rep with Alliance-exclusive Factions as a Horde race and vice versa up to Honored. When Honored, you will be able to enter the opposing faction's cities and outposts for commerce, questing or hiring Adventurers of that Faction.
    • You will be able to attack the other opposing faction's NPCs by flagging yourself as "Hostile" (instead of PvP). If you are Neutral or Above with the opposing faction, you will lose reputation with them. This can have ramifications when questing on contested zones: Cause enough damage and kill enough people and a bounty will be put on your head! Defeat the Bounty Hunter sent to kill you, you can cut a deal with him: He smooths things over with the enemy faction but for a price. If you agree to the deal, your Rep with the hostile faction will be upgraded to "Cautious" (below Neutral) so you won't be attacked on sight when near their outposts.

...In short, efforts would be made to make Offline Mode and Online Mode feel like separate experiences. Offline Mode would mostly be for those who just want to enjoy the story on their own and quest at their own pace without competing with others or worrying about maintaining a monthly sub. Everyone would have access to Offline Mode since all of the necessary data is already on your hard drive.

There would also be some features exclusive to Offline Mode:

• Adventurer's Guild: Hire NPCs to join you on your adventures. Unlike the Draenor Bodyguard, they will join you in Dungeons and Raids. When certain conditions are met, you will be able to hire your Characters from Online Mode to join you in Offline Mode. You can have up to four travel with you. If you're killed in the field and there is a healer in the group, they can rez you. Otherwise, the surviving NPCs will guard your body for the corpse run.
    • Dynamic Reputation System: Your standing with certain factions means a bit more in regards to NPC interactions. Getting Honored with the Argent Crusade will allow you to recruit their Paladins in the Adventurer's Guild. Becoming Revered with The Undercity will net you discounts from all vendors and shopping opportunities. Being Exalted Stormwind City will mean every NPC of that faction knows who you are and will greet you with a bow or a salute. In addition, you can take on lucrative quests for Gold, Crafting Mats, EXP and Gear.
    • Personal Reputation: Trust is important. The stronger your standing with certain characters, the better the benefits. Become a Comrade in Arms with someone will allow you to hire them to join you. Becoming a Regular Customer nets you a discount.
    • Relationships and Family: I think they'll be able to do this without upping the rating to M. It's all on how it's done, really. Once you raise your Personal Reputation with someone to a certain level, Bonding options become available to you and yes, this includes same-sex realationships as well. Your partner joins you on your adventures but they'll hang around one of your Outposts or a Capital City when they're not with you. You can also "create" children. If one parent is unable to have kids because of their race (Undead) or Class (DK and probably DH as well) you can just adopt. When your spawn reaches a certain level they will be able to join you on your adventures. Once they've progressed a bit further, you will have the option of making them a playable character.
    • Hero's Outpost: Your own place in the World of Warcraft. Once you've done enough progression in most zones, you will gain the ability to establish an outpost. This unlocks additional questing opportunities for you and your NPC allies to take advantage of. It will function similarly to the Draenor Garrison in short though it's a bit more automated. Sending your forces on Missions allows them other means of improving but they could also return with new questing experiences for you. For example, let's say you send a Rogue into the Deadmines but he ends up getting captured. You get a ransom note sent your outpost. You can either pay the ransom to get him back or personally go get him yourself.
    • Personal Airship: This will clearly cost quite a bit of Gold and take some time to build. Once it's built, you will be able to cruise the world in style. They also come with a team of Mages who can translocate the Airship to Outland and Draenor. In addition, you can assign followers to man the ship or even call down an airstrike.
    • Fight for the Horde/Alliance: Instead of PvP, Max Level Players can engage in a progressive compaign against the opposing faction. There are several tiers with the final tier pitting you against the leader of the opposing faction. Win and you become a legend. Lose and you will be imprisoned by the opposing faction. In this case, you will need to switch to another character to free your character. Switch to a character of the opposing faction and you can pay petition for release. Switch to a character of the same one captured and you can launch a daring rescue mission to get them out.

...My head cannon went wild as usual there. LOL. Feel free to ask me anything ^_^

Anywho that's the case I'm making. I have a pretty good idea of what the reaction will be but I will not stop petitioning Blizzard to go this route.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

download mangos and play alone

so....
    warcraft 4? : >

with the depth of a morpg

7+ Year Old Account
    play wc3
    /10chars

Formerly known as Arafal

No point in plating the game alone. You wouldn't be playing wow at that point. Would be cool if there was a single player leveling experience but after that the whole game revolves having others.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

You mean WoW isn't single player already?

This sounds awful.

7+ Year Old Account
    I could be fun, but i really think that there are already games like this outhere Also, would rather have that somebody made a single player MMO-like RPG, which is not a redone of WoW.

But if Blizzard ever got bored, having a WoW, where everything, which you do have direct impact, since other players arent there to experience the same, would be really awesome. It could be fun to see the Horde win over Kalimdor, have cities change more drasticly and maybe also having some cities to call my own. There are alot of opportunities open, when you only have to cater to 1 single player then an army of players.
    Last edited by Flurryfang; 2016-08-21 at 04:53 PM.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    More to the point, I wouldn't mind a Skyrim-like open-world RPG set in Azeroth. Or even something more akin to Dragon Age, where the plot is driven largely by your party's interactions with one another and the world around them. It could be set in the four-year period between the Battle for Mt. Hyjal and the beginning of Vanilla WoW's storyline that gets skipped over in the original opening cinematic, and we could see the breakdown of communications and trade between the Alliance and Horde, Varian going missing, and how the night elves and Forsaken joined their respective factions.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    a single player MMO,
    Ummmmmmmmm.. Wat?

I think Kingdoms of Amalur is close to what a single player wow would be and that was kinda boring for me tbh

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Ummmmmmmmm.. Wat?
    Reworded needed noted More MMO-like single player RPG
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    Feel free to ask me anything
    Why? Why do you want this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Why? Why do you want this?
    You ask why and I ask "Why Not?"

I have WCIII + TFT but also have SC1, SCII and their expansions. Totally different experiences from WoW.

I'm basically looking for a single-player Warcraft Experience with the mechanics of WoW but without the Online Aspects. Why this is so hard a concept for most who've replied so far makes no sense--someone even sarcastically but truthfully said it is a mostly Single-Player Experience. I'm simply asking for the next logical steps in that regard to be taken is all.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

The thing is there are far better RPG's out there for a solo experience IMO. Games where your choices matter. Games with modern Graphics. Games with true RPG flavor. Wow just can't compete with those if you're looking for a pure solo RPG for multiple reasons. Unless you're dead set on playing in the WOW universe I'd say go for DA:Origins or Skyrim.

Deleted
    Even single player games (e.g. Diablo) don't have an "offline" mode nowadays - for the simple reason that storing anything at all on your local machine to let you play offline = 100% destroyed online portion of the game, via massive and uncontrollable cheating/botting/hacking. So this is completely unrealistic bs.

And if you want to play the game totally alone, what is stopping you from rolling on some completely backwater RP server that's unconnected and has like 15 active players, then setting your Social settings to block whispers, trades and invites, as well as setting your chat to filter out every global channel and all player communication, leaving just in-game messages and NPC emotes/text? You can do all of it easily and it means you're pretty much all alone. In a garrison the illusion is 100% complete, in the outside world you'll see a player in the distance now and then, but they will have 0 chance to communicate with you, so functionally they're just like a neutral adventurer NPC. And in instances 99% of the time other players are functionally identical to bots/NPCs already, if your filters are set to not let in any /p /i /say /yell and /w - like they should be - you will not even have to endure the typical cursory "hey" that unfortunately still sometimes happens.

tl;dr - WoW can already be made into a completely solo experience, if you so desire

You ask why and I ask "Why Not?"

I have WCIII + TFT but also have SC1, SCII and their expansions. Totally different experiences from WoW.

I'm basically looking for a single-player Warcraft Experience with the mechanics of WoW but without the Online Aspects. Why this is so hard a concept for most who've replied so far makes no sense--someone even sarcastically but truthfully said it is a mostly Single-Player Experience. I'm simply asking for the next logical steps in that regard to be taken is all.
    The reason why it's stupid is because pretty much any end game content requires a group and if you've ever done the healing or tanking proving grounds you'd realize that WoW's AI capabilities with regard to group member characters is pretty weak. The proving grounds teammates are pants on head retarded, even more so than other players.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Making WoW a single player game is not a logical step. WoW to its core is not and won't be a single player game. You wont get what youre looking for here so trying to hold on to something like that is just a waste of your time
    Thank god this game isn't just for Rym, we'd have a pretty shitty time - Me

WoW was at its peak when it had a vibrant in-game community where players knew other players like it was your local bar. Your idea would be terrible for the game, but I have never nor heard read a single current WoW dev lament the current state of the social aspect of wow. In fact, they keep adding more antisocial features. So, I imagine you'll probably get what you want!
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    I'm simply asking for the next logical steps in that regard to be taken is all.
    How would it be financed? Let's say that Blizzard makes it like you want it, with everything up to and including Legion. Then what? Once you've "done it all" in Legion Offline, then what? No more content for you? Or do you automatically get access to the next expansion free of charge? How would Blizz benefit from that?