Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    If you are going to post, don't post lies. Your privacy is 100% in your control with Discord. They don't gain access to any information you don't willingly share with them.
    That sounds a lot like "If you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to hide."

If you share information with each other, which is pretty much the entire point of communications software, you share it with Discord. A company that only allows you to share that information through them, and has limited financial and legal safeguards in place to control this information.

Personally, idgaf what discord does with my raid rants, but I don't see a point in leaving my car doors unlocked if I don't have to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polygnome View Post
    Oh yes, there is. Discord is an american company, which treats privacy like shit. Mumble is big on privacy. The problem with Discord is that you can not host it yourself. That means all your data gets read and analysied by a 3rd party, with all of the consequences. I would never ask my guild mates to put private data out there, so Discord is out of the question. That leaves Mumble, TS3 and Ventrilo as self-hosted solutions.

Why do you think Discord is hosted? They could easily have relesed server software for self-hosting. But that isn't the goal of Discord. Discord is a means to an end, and thats the business with data.

TS3, Mumble and Ventrilo have much more clear-cut goals. And for raiding, Discord offers little the other 3 also have. You don't need pings for raiding (I can see why its useful for EVE Online). I can't speak for Mumble, but TS3 has the ability to manually adjust people volume.
    Ever think that a company doesn't want their quality of service diluted by 3rd parties hosting it? Just like WoW. Blizzard doesn't license our their server technology for players or 3rd parties to host. Are you running your own ISP? Because if not you have no privacy on the host you run your mumble server on. None. You have this feeling of security when really there's no more privacy in that solution. Plus, every admin of each mumble/vent server has access to your hostname, ip address, OS and settings when you connect. So not only do you place your private data through your ISP, you give it out to admins. There's volume settings per person in Discord. It's been there forever. If you don't want to switch that's fine but don't make stuff up or repeat what other misinformed people have said.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Because if not you have no privacy on the host you run your mumble server on. None.
    I host my TS3 on a german server where I'm protected by german law. Is that absolutely secureß probably not. but its a hell of a lot better than an american company.

They don't gain access to any information you don't willingly share with them.
    Thats a fallacy. Big data is your friend (or enemy, depending on how you view it).

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Switched from Vent last year. Disc is better and free, win win.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Switched from Vent last year. Disc is better and free, win win.
    Disc is better than ventrilo for sure. (How they still get away using a codec that's almost a decade old is beyond me.) But not necessarily better than Mumble/TS, imo.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Disc is better than ventrilo for sure. (How they still get away using a codec that's almost a decade old is beyond me.) But not necessarily better than Mumble/TS, imo.
    That gives a lot of undue kudos to Mumble/TS (AKA the poor mans Ventrilos).

That gives a lot of undue kudos to Mumble/TS (AKA the poor mans Ventrilos).
    To each their own. I prefer Mumble/TS' codec to Discord's.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    To each their own. I prefer Mumble/TS' codec to Discord's.
    Never liked Mumble/TS due to the audio quality, Disc is the first (free) alternative I've found that has no noticeable quality drop compared to Ventrilo.

Never liked Mumble/TS due to the audio quality, Disc is the first (free) alternative I've found that has no noticeable quality drop compared to Ventrilo.
    You're the first person I've met who preferred Ventrilo's codec to Mumble/TS. I just looked it up and apparently Discord actually uses the same codec that Mumble uses. I just prefer Mumble's interface and UI options.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    If you are going to post, don't post lies. Your privacy is 100% in your control with Discord. They don't gain access to any information you don't willingly share with them. People have made the same argument you're making now, and it's never backed up by the facts. You try to inject things into the ToS or EULA that aren't actually there. Yes it talks about collecting certain information, but ONLY if you choose to use certain features. Such as linking other accounts to Discord to utilize the social aspects of it's platform. But if you never link those different account, Discord isn't able to collect any personal information on you.

I also get a chuckle out of people trying to complain about a lack of private server hosting. As if paying some random 3rd party you know nothing about somehow makes things better or more secure. There is nothing stopping those private Mumble hosts from spying on you and not telling you about it. Not saying that does happen, but it's just as possible for them to do it as it is for Discord to do it. And for the record, Discord doesn't.
    That's nonsense. Discord gets all the information that people talk about using discord, they can record and analyze everything you say, and since it is hosted in the US you don't have the right to know exactly what data they are saving (which would be highly regulated in the EU).

This is not possible with voip software that you host for yourself. I can directly see what the TS3 server is communicating with, and these are the clients and a single request every day to validate the server license. There is no way to transfer larger data from that server that the server hoster would not notice.

And then the question remains how Discord is financed. Offering that kind of service is fairly expensive, the traffic costs alone must be immense and their (obviously very fine, because the service is really good) engineering is probably also paid quite well, but there is no large company backing them up. They say themselves they are a small start-up, and their business plan is to get money by selling customizations and cosmetic items for the VoIP client. Even with good faith I don't think that's a business plan with future, so how do they really make the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Moxal View Post
    Nope, we're staying with Vent. Been using it for many, many years and no reason to switch.

I thought the same thing for a while but finally caved and from somebody that had a very similar viewpoint, I promise you it's worth the switch

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polygnome View Post
    I host my TS3 on a german server where I'm protected by german law. Is that absolutely secureß probably not. but its a hell of a lot better than an american company.

Thats a fallacy. Big data is your friend (or enemy, depending on how you view it).
    So because it's an American company they are inherently insecure? That's a load of shit. There's lots of companies that take security and privacy very serious. The difference is there are laws in the US that require you to disclose breaches if enough people are affected. You're not even obligated to report a data breach in Germany unless it is credit card related. So right there you're already left in the dark.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10+ Year Old Account
    Discord is my preference, even better that it has an Android app that so far has worked perfectly for me: identical to the PC app.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    And then the question remains how Discord is financed. Offering that kind of service is fairly expensive, the traffic costs alone must be immense and their (obviously very fine, because the service is really good) engineering is probably also paid quite well, but there is no large company backing them up. They say themselves they are a small start-up, and their business plan is to get money by selling customizations and cosmetic items for the VoIP client. Even with good faith I don't think that's a business plan with future, so how do they really make the money?
    They raised 30 million dollars in their first year from investors. They won't be going anywhere anytime soon which allows them time to get their business model functional and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by RestoChango View Post
    - The ability to copy excel cells and have it automatically converted to an image means we don't have to post the raw spreadsheet/google doc or take screenshots anymore when you just want to show something to the guild
    How did you go about doing this? I have an application form that submits to a spreadsheet, I'd like to have it post in a discord channel.

Tried it, and the soundquality is significantly worse than both TS and Mumble. Almost like a deja vu of Vent...

It's nice for just hanging out, but for actual raids, only the real thing will do!

The only real advantage it has, is that it's free, and the chat system is much better than TS or Mumble.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used them all. Discord is the best. By far.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Discord is good for games with LOTS of out of game information, it really lends itself to things like irc pings and coridinating with lots of channels. but from my experience in raiding a skype group text chat and using teamspeak would be better. I cringe when i hear people say they still use vent.
    You cringe when people use vent while using skype... wat?

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    You cringe when people use vent while using skype... wat?
    Nothing wrong with skype text chats, easy to create groups or just talk to a few people or have some one on one voice chats, the voice quality is fine. Vent on the otherhand sounds like 1960 nasa quality sound.

Mumble works well enough, so we haven't seen any reason to switch.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.