Page 1 of 2
LastLast

North Korea makes its own Netflix version, called Manbang...

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news...ne-1201841320/

Add North Korea to the long list of folks who have tried to copy Netflix: North Koreans with access to the state-run version of the internet are now able to watch movies and TV shows on demand, thanks to a new service called “Manbang,” which translates to “everywhere,” according to a report from NK News.

The service is based on a dedicated streaming device — think of it as a North Korean version of Roku or Apple TV, if you will, albeit with a much less polished interface. The device gives can be used to “replay documentary films about the leadership and learn Russian and English languages,” according to NK News. It’s also offering live streaming access to five TV networks, including North Korea’s state broadcaster KCTV.

It’s questionable whether many people will actually be able to use the service. North Korea is one of the least connected countries in the world, with only a few thousand people being allowed to access the global internet. The country is running its own version of the internet, which is separate from the rest of the internet, and reportedly only consists of some 5000 websites.

However, even with a highly restricted network, and a video service meant to dissipate state-approved propaganda, some things are the same as for Netflix viewers in any other country.

Case in point: A lot of the demand for “Manbang” seems to be driven by kids constantly asking to watch things over and over again, with NK News quoting an orphanage teacher saying: ““Children tended to pester to show new interesting videos again after their release, but we had difficulty in dealing with it. However, we are happy since we are now able to show films to them again, and children enjoy it”.”

So uh....manbang and chill?

Surely someone in that crazy government who spoke English put together what that sounded like... That North Korea, 10% scary 90% internet gold without meaning to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    aH yes, the Y chromosome, noted summoner of rape demons from the misogyny dimension.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    http://variety.com/2016/digital/news...ne-1201841320/

Add North Korea to the long list of folks who have tried to copy Netflix: North Koreans with access to the state-run version of the internet are now able to watch movies and TV shows on demand, thanks to a new service called “Manbang,” which translates to “everywhere,” according to a report from NK News.

The service is based on a dedicated streaming device — think of it as a North Korean version of Roku or Apple TV, if you will, albeit with a much less polished interface. The device gives can be used to “replay documentary films about the leadership and learn Russian and English languages,” according to NK News. It’s also offering live streaming access to five TV networks, including North Korea’s state broadcaster KCTV.

It’s questionable whether many people will actually be able to use the service. North Korea is one of the least connected countries in the world, with only a few thousand people being allowed to access the global internet. The country is running its own version of the internet, which is separate from the rest of the internet, and reportedly only consists of some 5000 websites.

However, even with a highly restricted network, and a video service meant to dissipate state-approved propaganda, some things are the same as for Netflix viewers in any other country.

Case in point: A lot of the demand for “Manbang” seems to be driven by kids constantly asking to watch things over and over again, with NK News quoting an orphanage teacher saying: ““Children tended to pester to show new interesting videos again after their release, but we had difficulty in dealing with it. However, we are happy since we are now able to show films to them again, and children enjoy it”.”

So uh....chill and manbang?
    I fixed it for you man.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Case in point: A lot of the demand for “Manbang” seems to be driven by kids constantly asking to watch things over and over again, with NK News quoting an orphanage teacher saying: ““Children tended to pester to show new interesting videos again after their release, but we had difficulty in dealing with it. However, we are happy since we are now able to show films to them again, and children enjoy it”.”[/I]
    Everyone knows Korean kids love to watch manbang

10+ Year Old Account
    Fresh thread and the manbang and chill joke was already used...too slow...

I imagine Mangbang being what you'd get if public access tv was on demand.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2016-08-22 at 06:49 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Everyone knows Korean kids love to watch manbang
    I personally think that manbang is a great thing, especially for the children. They have been asking for manbang for a long time, and now they can finally get it. We should thank the glorious leader for giving us manbang. Hopefully it can help to expand outside of NK so everyone can get manbang.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we all would like to experience this manbang.

Deleted
    Will it feature North Korean game of thrones?

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Will it feature North Korean game of thrones?
    No thats on Sisbang.

... Manbang you say. Man... Bang... ... I mean I know it's not English but...

... I'll just go.

if it doesnt have game of thrones its not worth getting netflix.. or manbang as they call it haha.

This amuses me far more than it should.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Their ballistic missiles are called Nodongs....

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    No thats on Sisbang.
    holy shit

this made my morning

10+ Year Old Account
    What netflix shows do they even allow on North Korean television?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Now North Koreans can stream all 5 goverment approved shows. All of which feature Kim Jong Un as the main character.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Manbang...HAAHAHAHAHAHA. Even the fucking name sounds like a bootleg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow from a news report.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just cant make this shit up...... its just too funny

I like to watch manbang any time I have free time.

Well, great choice for a name
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.