Page 1 of 34
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Western countries are becoming more orwellian

Is it just something I've noticed? Western countries are becoming increasingly more orwellian year by year. People with wrong opinions getting locked up, people who protest for the wrong reasons to the establishment getting locked up. Insane amount of ostracization if you're not part of the establishment.

Surely I can't be the only one who has noticed this political trend in western countries?

Free as long as you think like we(The establishment) do, right?

Punish everyone else.

Truths are no longer truths.

So far they've fallen and they will fall even farther.

Unless you're referring to turkey as "western", no.

Nah its why the memes "Tanned German" and "Workplace violence" are used to describe terrorist attacks now.

Only people to the very far left haven't noticed everyone else is aware of it happening.

You wouldn't believe the shit storm you can kick off by calling a eunuch a eunuch rather then a newly "made" women.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Unless you're referring to turkey as "western", no.
    No, I am referring to the "You're either with the establishment or against us and has to go" attitude, among other things that we see in politics, social media and even in companies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Are you for real?

If western society is Orwellian, what does that make places like China and Russia?
    I said becoming more orwellian, but this is a red herring.

You do know that Orwell was writing 1984 about British trends, right?

It wasn't about USSR...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    You do know that Orwell was writing 1984 about British trends, right?

It wasn't about USSR...
    Yes, I know that. It's also spread to other countries.

Where in the "west" are people locked up if they have the wrong ideas or if they just protest?
    As someone else on here said, in Turkey, maybe but other than that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Nah its why the memes "Tanned German" and "Workplace violence" are used to describe terrorist attacks now.

Only people to the very far left haven't noticed everyone else is aware of it happening.

You wouldn't believe the shit storm you can kick off by calling a eunuch a eunuch rather then a newly "made" women.
    So far you´re the only one that is coming up with those terms every other time.

Of course, everyone who is willing to wait for actual facts is a blind leftist, right?

OT, not really, no. The laws would need to be changed to do those things and so far nothing of that kind has happened as far as i know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Where in the "west" are people locked up if they have the wrong ideas or if they just protest?
    As someone else on here said, in Turkey, maybe but other than that?
    In any country with hate speech laws not relating to violence, for one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Is it just something I've noticed? Western countries are becoming increasingly more orwellian year by year. People with wrong opinions getting locked up, people who protest for the wrong reasons to the establishment getting locked up. Insane amount of ostracization if you're not part of the establishment.

Surely I can't be the only one who has noticed this political trend in western countries?

Free as long as you think like we(The establishment) do, right?

Punish everyone else.

Truths are no longer truths.

So far they've fallen and they will fall even farther.
    Read about the Hooton Plan afterwards you know...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post

I can also call you, an obvious idiot, an idiot and get infraction. So it doesn't matter really - people don't like when others use derogatory terms about them. To me, it's perfectly okay to call you and idiot since, well, that's what you are to me but eventually someone will report me because they disagree with that. Woo, "shit storm" has been kicked off, like you said.

In any country with hate speech laws not relating to violence, for one.
    Right...
    That is silly though as say a Nazi is not locked up in Germany just because he thinks what Hitler did was right.

No, I am referring to the "You're either with the establishment or against us and has to go" attitude, among other things that we see in politics, social media and even in companies.
    So the Bush Administration?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you see what you want to see, because your opinions are not popular and people criticize you for them, and you perceive this criticism as oppression. Sorry, bud, no echo chamber for you here!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I think you see what you want to see, because your opinions are not popular and people criticize you for them, and you perceive this criticism as oppression. Sorry, bud, no echo chamber for you here!
    Yeah, my opinions are not popular where I currently live compared to many western countries. I am however not talking about where I am currently living. There is a worrying amount of people who get penalized, socially or legally, because they're not doing what the establishments wants them to and then the establishment turn a blind eye to what the people who are with them are doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, my opinions are not popular where I currently live compared to many western countries. I am however not talking about where I am currently living. There is a worrying amount of people who get penalized, socially or legally, because they're not doing what the establishments wants them to and then the establishment turn a blind eye to what the people who are with them are doing.
    In that case, who is being punished and locked up for their opinions? I'm not noticing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I think you have western countries confused with Turkey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    In that case, who is being punished and locked up for their opinions? I'm not noticing it.
    Check any country with hate speech laws that's relating to more than inciting to violence. You can be penalized for talking about groups of people in an what is considered an insulting or degrading manner by the establishment in some countries.

Deleted
    No, atleast not in a way which limits personal freedoms.

The dissemination of false information presented as truth however has become a definate thing, used by pretty much all the political flavors and corperations in any field of industry or commerce.

Taking the Games-Industry as example: in recent years there have been several high-profile releases which benefitted from the spread of either vague information, false information or half-truths to get people to entrench in stances not beneficial to them, be it the current Pre-Order culture or blind fanboyism.

In the end, it's much easier to keep people confused instead of repressed