Deleted

University of Sheffield

I have been offered a place to study Geography at the University of Sheffield. Is it worth going into debt to get a degree from there? I read a lot of stories about people who have degrees but are not employable? Anyone go to college/University here? What should I look at to determine if this University is worth getting into debt for?

Deleted
    Depends what career you're looking for... I argue a hefty % leave with useless qualifications now anyway.

A degree in geography is only worth it if you are interested in demographic research or map making. If that is what you are passionate about you can make a career, but it is not easy.

VERY dependent on what you choose to study, and I have no clue about the job opportunities for Geography. Look up online the employment-rate of people with said education, and perhaps find some old students in the course and check their linkdin or something if there is no official resources saying how many who graduated actually got jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say, don't look at how prestigious the university is, and instead look at the program they offer, at faculty (i.e. whether there are professors you might be interested in doing research with), at future career perspectives, etc. Geography is as good as any other field, but it really depends on your interests and plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    It used to be that all of Uni of Sheffield's departments had a really high level of interest from anyone who climbs due to location and training facilities in the city. For this reason its places were always sought after. This was especially so in both the Geology and Geography departments (typically climbers either go into well paid work or take a career that might mean there is a lot of travel/field work involved). As such there always used to be quite stiff competition for places. I can't imagine much has changed in recent years and the level of their graduates is probably a little higher due to many really really wanting to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sights View Post
    I have been offered a place to study Geography at the University of Sheffield. Is it worth going into debt to get a degree from there? I read a lot of stories about people who have degrees but are not employable? Anyone go to college/University here? What should I look at to determine if this University is worth getting into debt for?
    When determining if a university is "worth it" there are three variables to look at: What degree, what grade and what university.

And most of the change is at the top levels of all three. That means if you get a in almost any subject degree from a top university like Oxford or Cambridge, or in a top subject like medicine from any university, it is worth it. Also, a top grade can help even with a low demand degree from a poor university.

Below the top, the differences grow smaller. Slightly medium uni, or slightly above medium wont matter as much as what you studied. You should spend more thinking time on that than where. Top grade always matters though.