Is alchemy capable of making gold in this game?

I've never been one to make gold in WoW. I've been playing since vanilla and I think the most I have ever had was around 22k gold. I max leveled a profession for the first time today and I was wondering if alchemy would be capable of making me some money.

What other professions do you think would be more beneficial for money in this game?

Yes it can still make gold but just isn't that much, and it depends on the server, Currently on Argent Dawn EU; all the current raiding pots are selling for a profit of 1 gold a piece. but on tarrenmill, they sell for a loss of 2 gold. So it's purely up to what server your on and what the mats costs compared to the pots worth.
    These day's Im washed, playing VRchat instead.

do alchemist still do transmutes? also, what is the most profitable profession in your opinion?

I made 22k this week alone with my 3 alchemists as someone on my server has been buying up all the alchemical cataysts for 1000g a stack

is there going to be stuff like that in legion? I want to be able to repair and buy shit i want haha.

You can certainly make gold with alchemy it just takes a bit more time that other professions. The first few days after a raid reset you can always make gold from pots, you just have to make a ton of them to make it worth it. I would typically put about 20-30 stacks of int, str, and agi pots up every Tuesday-Thursday just before peak raiding times and most of them would sell in about 3-4 hours. Making that many potions just takes a long time. It takes about 25 mins to make 1000 pots. Not worth it for many players but on a large pop server like Area-52 US you can make decent gold if you have the time.

Making appreciable money with crafting professions is a matter of having (1) a diversity of crafted items (2) that sell reliably (3) for a noticeable profit.

Alchemy can be very profitable, especially at the start of a new raid tier, but as ilvl goes up and content goes on farm the value of consumables decreases, so your profitability comes in waves and becomes slim to none at the end of an expansion (see: now). Professions with crafted gear (read: almost all of them) follow a similar trend where the need for their output eventually tapers off as access to superior raid drops obsoletes them.

From personal experience, enchanting is probably the most consistently profitable profession; unlike almost every other profession's output, high-end enchantments never go obsolete.

Deleted
    Alchemy is one of my biggest profit makers, transmuting stuff makes me a killing

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Living Steel
    Primal Mana -> Primal Fire