Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Then why don't they have to do this in the UK or Germany?
    Because different people. Also cops arent allowed guns in U.K and still different places. But if you wanna be small Im sure as hell certain there are places in the U.S where less than 100 bullets are used by cops. Remember Either use the entire Thing or none of it you can't cheery pick.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    The violent crime rate is not wildly different between the US and developed European countries.
    There aren't more guns than people in the EU.

I am sure our police would be exactly the same if there wasn't the constant threat that anyone, anywhere, at any time, could pull a gun and kill them instantly. But we live in the US, there are hundreds of millions of guns here, that's the price we pay for our guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can blame the police in this scenario tbh. The guy broke the law at least two different ways - its not like a cop pulled some one over and blew them away before even speaking to them. He refused to pull over -> He left his vehicle with out an okay from the officer -> he became combative. I suspect he also did something to warrant being pulled over in the first place.

None of these deserve an execution - but making multiple bad decisions like this and then getting combative with an officer? sorry, you forfeited.
    That has yet to be proven. Getting out of the car doesn't immediately make you combative we don't know what happened in the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    "The driver exited his vehicle in the neighborhood and an "encounter took place" that led to a shot being fired, North Carolina State Highway Patrol spokesman Sergeant Michael Baker said in a statement."

It was a series of bad events. Had the man stayed in his car and let the cop approach things would have gone better. What do you want besides saying bad shit happened? Not stopping usually means they have something to hide or are running. Then to get out means they are a threat to the cop or others. It was a bad situation really just accept it.
    Why can other countries, or other cops in your own country detain people without lethal force? Why should this or other encounters that don't need to be violent, end up violent?

People can be unpredictable, but your first recourse as a cop shouldn't be to shoot them. Call for backup, don't be the lone hero, take your time, be cautious, de-escalate the situation don't exacerbate it.

Better training would go a long way in police / community relations.

It was a series of bad events. Had the man stayed in his car and let the cop approach things would have gone better. What do you want besides saying bad shit happened? Not stopping usually means they have something to hide or are running. Then to get out means they are a threat to the cop or others. It was a bad situation really just accept it.
    The way the description goes it is likely the man didn't even notice the police officer or his car until after he left the car in front of his own home.
    "An encounter took place" could just as well describe a situation where the man was shot in the back when he calmly walked towards his own door.
    (Note that we do not know either way, yet, the description the police gave avoids telling us anything, which is kind of suspicious.)
    Last edited by Noradin; 2016-08-23 at 09:44 PM. Reason: quote was broken

What? I'm saying that crime-wise the countries aren't that different, so you can't explain the difference in how police act by just syaing "They are different".
    Countries? Different people and larger scale as said before. Pick a thing and stick with it Germany then E.U then U.K and Germany and now back to Germany. Really pick a damn thing man. Germany to U.S. Different sizes different people different w/e else. Germany/U.K to U.S same as former+ U.K doesnt get cops with guns though they have an insanely high amount of stabbers.

People are crazy and don't follow rules in all countries. They end up dead because majority of the time they are a threat. Then you get stupid ones like this who get outta their car and have things happen. Yes he is deaf good for him shoulda stayed in the car.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Police in Canada randomly shot a believed terroist - a literal government sanctioned assassination. No big outburst about that - but a cop potentially fears for his life and kills a combative subject who has been evading arrest for 13 miles of car chase? Terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    No because the details are vague. An encounter can mean anything from a verbal exchange to a physical altercation. Also lots of people leave their vehicles when pulled over (they're not supposed to, agreed) and not all of them meet this fate. So yeah, something bad happened but we don't know exactly why it led to this.
    He wasn't pulled over, though, he stopped his car in front of his home and got out; likely to go up to his own door and enter his home.
    Do you look around before leaving your car in front of your home to make sure there are no police officers around?

Quote Originally Posted by Danin View Post
    ... So you KILL HIM?
    If you fire at someone you always aim for the biggest bodymass since it's an easier target, ie you aim for the chest, another reason to do this is because shooting someone in the leg or arm is no guarantee they will be stopped in time if the the person coming at you is actually intent on attacking, if that happens to kill the subject then that's unfortunate.
    We don't know exactly what happened here, but as an example, if someone rushses from let's say 50 yards you only have a few seconds pull your weapon, aim and pull the trigger, you simply dont have time to aim at a small target such as a leg and again, getting shot in the leg is no guarantee that the person will slow down because of adrenaline and also a shot in the leg can be quite fatal as well, if someone rushes you from 20 feet then you better hope you already have the gun drawn and aimed because otherwise you will never get a shot off before the person is up in your face.

As for people blaming cops saying they are out to get you and you don't feel safe, you guys do realize that there are almost a million police officers in the US? Even at a 1000 people per year killed by police that's 0,1% of officers per year involved in a deadly shooting and you can be sure the majority of those are legit shootings.
    This doesn't excuse the rotten ones that are in the force but you're not very likely to ever run in to one those that will carry out unjust shootings.

Edit: as for not seeing the police car behind you even if you can't hear it I simply don't believe that, I was stopped by police on the highway at the start of summer for speeding and I saw him just fine without him having to turn his sirens on, just the lights, this was in broad daylight.
    Last edited by Caelia; 2016-08-23 at 09:43 PM.

Better safe than dead and having them running around killing others.
    How did we leap from "was combative with officer" to "was going to kill the officer and then go on a murderous rampage"?

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    He wasn't pulled over, though, he stopped his car in front of his home and got out; likely to go up to his own door and enter his home.
    Do you look around before leaving your car in front of your home to make sure there are no police officers around?
    I look in my rearview mirror often enough to notice flashing lights atleast 10 times in that 13 mile chase - I suspect if I was deaf I'd make it even more of a point to check my rearview mirror.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me, personally? Yeah lol

How did we leap from "was combative with officer" to "was going to kill the officer and then go on a murderous rampage"?
    The second you're combative the officer has every right to fear for his life - he doesn't know when its going to escale to you potentially pulled out a gun or something, and if he waits for you to fire first, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    At what point does the officer's right to protect himself from a perceived threat cease to exist?
    When he loses his job for being delusional at the latest.
    You cannot go around shooting people because you fear a marsian invasion force,e ven if you are a cop, you need to have a legitimate reason to assume you are in danger.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's how it is with the "cops can do no wrong". Fuck waiting for all the facts to appear, if the Officer thought it appropriate to shoot the man then he must have deserved it.

When he loses his job for being delusional at the latest.
    You cannot go around shooting people because you fear a marsian invasion force,e ven if you are a cop, you need to have a legitimate reason to assume you are in danger.
    He had legitimate reasoning as soon as he chased a guy 13 miles, the guy got out probably ignoring his requests, and then became combative.

10+ Year Old Account
    The second you're combative the officer has every right to fear for his life - he doesn't know when its going to escale to you potentially pulled out a gun or something, and if he waits for you to fire first, lol.
    Except you still don't know for a fact that the suspect in this case was combative. You're assuming he was.

Except you still don't know for a fact that the suspect in this case was combative. You're assuming he was.

Just like everyone crying the cop is wrong here doesn't have proof that he wasnt.

Unlike them, I'm actually going to give a police officer the benefit of the doubt after a prolonged car chase that its incredibly possible that the suspect could easily become aggresive.

And people like you are assuming the cop was out for blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like everyone crying the cop is wrong here doesn't have proof that he wasnt.
    You're correct. I keep saying nobody knows what happened but everyone wants to keep picking a side lol. All we know is somebody died, and that sucks.