Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The question is how certain are you that you know what 'today's tech' is really capable of?

Maybe once we build AIs and they go through the "singularity" where they learn to program and improve themselves, maybe they will become smart enough to create FTL travel. The singularity shouldn't be too far off.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    That is the exact plot in Forever War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forever_War

People go to war and by the time they get back everything is obsolete due to time dilation, the main character cannot keep up with the changes in technology and society.
    I liked that book, but after reading camoflage I haven't read another one of his books. That one was so bad that I'm not sure he's got another good book in him. It was painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

But... how do you send the information back ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    18000 years with the fastest of our probes.
    Only 18,000 years? Nothing anti aging technology won't fix.

Current tech is barely going to ISS and back. Going to another star is way beyond "current tech"...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtcrime View Post
    Right now it would just be prohibitively expensive but in theory, if money were no concern
    Those humans thinking that "money" is real... what the fuck, are you serious ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    Depends on how much fuel we can take. There's negligible drag in space so if you keep your foot on the gas you keep going faster and faster.
    Completely discounting the gravitational pull of different bodies in space of course and Einstein's theory of relativity.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-08-25 at 08:12 AM.

Deleted
    Well... Laser sails could be built in 20-25 years, and get there in about 25 years, and send back data in about 4 years if I remember correctly was just reading yesterday.
    It involves shining a powerful laser beam on a large "sail" to push the spacecraft forward. The concept is simple, but has the potential to generate very high velocities up to half the speed of light and beyond. Milner's tiny craft, each weighing less than a gram, would be accelerated to 20% of light speed, making it possible to reach Proxima Centauri in 20 to 25 years.
    Thats not about sending people though. Not yet at least.