Poll: Is PolitiFact Biased

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Its being dishonest though. Its dishonest of Obama to say that, and its dishonest of PF to call it mostly true. Putting an asterisk at the end doesn't really mean anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, coal does technically make more jobs. Shouldn't that be a mostly true statement, according to Politifact?

The creating more jobs is an add on as a way to get people behind coal. It's not healthy...

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The creating more jobs is an add on as a way to get people behind coal. It's not healthy...
    Have you ever stopped to question how 'green' it really is to manufacture solar panels in China and then ship them on a super cargo ship across the Pacific ocean? Did you know that a single one of those super cargo ships can generate pollution equivalent to 50 million cars because of the nature of the fuel they burn?

So if we simply consumed less and cut imports from China, we could easily reduce emissions by multiple times the emissions rate of every car on the road in the US.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    And yet they don't follow their own methodology, only a fool would think they do.
    They don't? They rate a lot of Democrat stuff as mostly True but then clarify.

You guys like to cry about how the 77 cents on the dollar thing is false, but politifact says it's mostly true... which it is.

But they then go on to clarify that the 77 cents on the dollar figure is from ALL job sources, and does not compare equal positions. It does this same explanation process for a lot of things.

And of course, Republicans believe that man made climate change is a hoax, even now that the fossil fuel companies say it is not. American conservatives are one of the few groups left in this world that still deny it, and they believe politifact wrong to say that it is in fact truth. So there's that kind of thing, where Republicans are just straight up wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I've done that six times this thread, feel free to go back and look for yourself.
    Humor me and link it again, with your own explanation and words. I'm willing to engage with someone that does not stoop to personal insults.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Yes, of course they're biased. It's nearly impossible for human beings to remove themselves of all existing bias.

However, I think they do an excellent job trying as hard as possible to remove their bias from each ruling. Their articles are filled with sources, and they will often amend their ruling if new information comes to light.

I do not believe they that they give preferential treatment to either Republicans or Democrats.

I mean does anyone remember the 2013 Lie of the Year? "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it" - Obama
    Or that some of Hillary's claims are rated as false or pants on fire, or flip flip. They rated several of her statements about the email as pants on fire.

Conservatives do love to link those and use them as proof. They just never like it when it's used against them.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    They don't? They rate a lot of Democrat stuff as mostly True but then clarify.

You guys like to cry about how the 77 cents on the dollar thing is false, but politifact says it's mostly true... which it is.

But they then go on to clarify that the 77 cents on the dollar figure is from ALL job sources, and does not compare equal positions. It does this same explanation process for a lot of things.

And of course, Republicans believe that man made climate change is a hoax, even now that the fossil fuel companies say it is not. American conservatives are one of the few groups left in this world that still deny it, and they believe politifact wrong to say that it is in fact truth. So there's that kind of thing, where Republicans are just straight up wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Humor me and link it again, with your own explanation and words. I'm willing to engage with someone that does not stoop to personal insults.
    It's based on flawed methodology. It's not True, it's a very false narrative that paints a false picture. Then you go on ranting about climate change and republicans like I give a shit, the examples posted had 0 to do with climate change, you invent your own arguments so you can win against them.

Maybe because they are owned by a paper that endorsed Clinton this year.
    Or they are simply wrong more often.

It's based on flawed methodology. It's not True, it's a very false narrative that paints a false picture. Then you go on ranting about climate change and republicans like I give a shit, the examples posted had 0 to do with climate change, you invent your own arguments so you can win against them.
    The 77 cents figure is fact. Plain and simple. What is wrong is when people misrepresent that fact by pretending it means "for the same work" or something like that. This is why you have such a problem with politifact: You don't seem to understand the difference between a fact and a misuse of that fact. If someone uses a fact to be misleading, the fact doesn't become untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The 77 cents figure is fact. Plain and simple. What is wrong is when people misrepresent that fact by pretending it means "for the same work" or something like that. This is why you have such a problem with politifact: You don't seem to understand the difference between a fact and a misuse of that fact. If someone uses a fact to be misleading, the fact doesn't become untrue.
    Why wasn't it rated as half true

HALF TRUE – The statement is partially accurate but leaves out important details or takes things out of context.

Because it's out of context, the data is complete garbage it is only to use to make it out as women are making 23% less to their male counter parts in the same field which is complete bullshit. There is 0 reason to ever quote that figure, especially in a political speech if you're not going to paint the true narrative.

You mean like everyone who uses it? Like Obama? When you say "women earn 77 cents" and then follow it up with "we need to level the playing field" like he did, you're being dishonest about the figure to push an agenda.

He said "over the course of her career a working women with a college degree will earn on average hundreds of thousands of dollars less than a man who does the same work. Now that's wrong".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWzELjRfWA

You're being dishonest. Lying like he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Why wasn't it rated as half true

HALF TRUE – The statement is partially accurate but leaves out important details or takes things out of context.

Because it's out of context, the data is complete garbage it is only to use to make it out as women are making 23% less to their male counter parts in the same field which is complete bullshit. There is 0 reason to ever quote that figure, especially in a political speech if you're not going to paint the true narrative.
    Did Obama say "A woman makes 23% less than their male counterpart in the same field?" Nope, he didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    You mean like everyone who uses it? Like Obama? When you say "women earn 77 cents" and then follow it up with "we need to level the playing field" like he did, you're being dishonest about the figure to push an agenda.

He said "over the course of her career a working women with a college degree will earn on average hundreds of thousands of dollars less than a man who does the same work. Now that's wrong".

Right, but when an Obama ad took it too far and said that the 77% figure was for equal work, guess what? It was rated Mostly False:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...7-cents-dolla/

Maybe it's just that Republicans repeat more falsehoods.

Admittedly their average is massively skewed by Trump :P

Not really.

I'm not a Republican or a conservative but this is pretty egregious reporting.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...icide-victims/
    Trump tweets that blacks kill 81% of white homicide victims, whereas it's more like 81% of whites are NOT killed by blacks. What's your issue with that? Straight up pants on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Trump tweets that blacks kill 81% of white homicide victims, whereas it's more like 81% of whites are NOT killed by blacks. What's your issue with that? Straight up pants on fire.
    Blacks kill 19% of all white people omg
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Did Obama say "A woman makes 23% less than their male counterpart in the same field?" Nope, he didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Right, but when an Obama ad took it too far and said that the 77% figure was for equal work, guess what? It was rated Mostly False:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...7-cents-dolla/
    actually he did?

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post

actually he did?
    Wait, maybe the issue here is that you just plain don't understand how Politifact works. Why are you expecting a statement from his State of the Union is 2014 to be rated false because of something he said in a different place in 2013?

In terms of the wage gap though, people do have a tendency to frame it in a way that makes it seem more egregious than it is without actually stating anything false.

e.g. Did you know women earn less than men in America for doing the exact same work? Studies show that women earn only 77 cents for every dollar that men are paid!

Now neither of those statements would be false on their own, but taken together they create the impression, intentionally or not, that women earn 77 cents for the same work which would be a false statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    In terms of the wage gap though, people do have a tendency to frame it in a way that makes it seem more egregious than it is without actually stating anything false.

e.g. Did you know women earn less than men in America for doing the exact same work? Studies show that women earn only 77 cents for every dollar that men are paid!

Now neither of those statements would be false on their own, but taken together they create the impression, intentionally or not, that women earn 77 cents for the same work which would be a false statement.
    Do you know what else says that? He politifact article we are taking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the primaries Jeb Bush and Rubio had similar ratings to Clinton and Sanders. It's the alt-right crowd that tends to get called out for making things up. Trump,Cruz, Bachman etc don't deserve the benefit of the doubt and that gets reflected in their score.

It's hard to blame politifact for that, they're just telling it like it is.

I just logged in after 5 hours and saw 9 notifications in this one thread. I'm going to go pleasure myself and finish Ghostbusters and then maybe I will respond to some of you tomorrow if I'm not too preoccupied being the smartest person on planet Earth.

Democrats lie through their teeth on economic issues because they rely heavily on blaming neoliberalism for economic problems while supporting blind Keynesian solutions.
    Good luck proving anything is a truth or a lie in economics. So far the actual field of economics has failed to do so.

I mean except the Austrian school, that's straight up hocus pocus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Probably. Reality itself seems to have a bias sometimes as well. There's usually a "hidden" truth though.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    If I recall correctly PolitiFact has been vetted many times, and the essential outcome is that it is "free" of malicious bias but possibly tainted by soft or institutional bias (arising from externalized factors beyond the control of an aggregated source). Nothing is completely and 100% free of bias - the very act of recording information can add a slant that is nigh subliminal but still effectively alters the neutral state of the information. Since the articles are sourced and reviewable, I'd give it a pass - you are free to review the information that led to their rating and make your own determinations.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead