Poll: Why did Varian get a memorial while Vol'jin didn't?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    How is it a spoiler?
    Do you need theblink to the Wikipedia article on spoilers or are you just acting?

In this case, I think Blizz did a masterful job of giving Varian and epic send-off. One of the best cut-scenes they've ever done. I feel bad that Horde (and especially Troll fans) only got another scene of Vol'jin lying there hurt and asking for help. He was actually a pretty good leader, holding the Horde together through some rough times.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Do you need theblink to the Wikipedia article on spoilers or are you just acting?
    If you're so afraid of spoilers,then you shouldn't even open the lore forum,when you know that the pre-expansion patch is live.

Why did Varian get a park? Seriously?
    1. every alliance player screamed at Blizzard to remake the park right? For years since Cataclysm. We got a memorial and a fixed park but we did not get the park back.
    2. because it fitted the story and fixed the park at the same time, they placed a memorial in the park.

Don't make this an alliance vs horde story. Alliance didn't want the park to be fixed this way perse. We wanted a fixed park - more like it was before. That said, I am an alliance player and I really like the memorial such as it is. Still don't think it is "favouritism"

There are people who come back when the expansion goes lives, not a few weeks prior.
    That's their choice. The demon invasions are live now. The story is already happening. We can't control when you decide to start playing. Maybe you should stay out of forums till then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    1. every alliance player screamed at Blizzard to remake the park right? For years since Cataclysm. We got a memorial and a fixed park but we did not get the park back.
    2. because it fitted the story and fixed the park at the same time, they placed a memorial in the park.

Don't make this an alliance vs horde story. Alliance didn't want the park to be fixed this way perse. We wanted a fixed park - more like it was before. That said, I am an alliance player and I really like the memorial such as it is. Still don't think it is "favouritism"
    I love the memorial. I play Alliance and Horde. It's a beautiful monument and Varian deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Did the horde ever errect something in honor of their fallen?

The closest thing i recall is the tusks/skull of mannoroth... And even those were not in Grom's memory and was more of a memory of their victory over the legion and breaking their curse.

For comparison; the remembrance of the dead event:

- Alliance goes to honor Uther at his tomb in WPL.
    - Horde goes to honor Grom to the place he died; at the glaive of the demon he slew.
    This. Grom got a monument because of the magnitude of what he did for the horde, freeing them from the blood curse. The Tusks were used as a reminder to the horde of what they became, and what they should never be again. Vol'jin didn't really do anything to warrant a monument, but he is still worth being remembered.

Side note: Garrosh using the tusks to decorate his throne and shoulder pads pissed me the hell off.

- - - Updated - - -

you got the park repaired, at the cost of your king. did we learn anything about constantly complaining? :P lol
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz is just lazy OR Vol'jin is coming back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aenwyrm View Post
    1. Varian died fighting. Like a badass.
    2. Vol'jin died from a stab wound and sitting on a chair.
    3. Alliance is superior
    4. see Number 3.
    Vol'jin killed the guy who got him.

Umm... maybe because Horde culture remembers their heroes in a different way than the Alliance (human) culture. Look at the alliance cities and settlements. Even in such remote areas like the borean tundra you'll see statues of kings, commanders and heroes. Stormwind city has an entire "district" (city entrance) reserved for honoring heroes (and in the books there are hundreds of statues in the valley of heroes, not only those from WC2XP). Stormwind city also has a massive graveyard.

I made fun of the alliance's habit of building statues as the first act they do upon arriving in a new area, but this time, it actually makes sense. I was also complaining about Varian not being laid to rest next to the love of his life, but without a body to bury, it is allright I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    This. Grom got a monument because of the magnitude of what he did for the horde, freeing them from the blood curse. The Tusks were used as a reminder to the horde of what they became, and what they should never be again. Vol'jin didn't really do anything to warrant a monument, but he is still worth being remembered.

Side note: Garrosh using the tusks to decorate his throne and shoulder pads pissed me the hell off.

- - - Updated - - -

you got the park repaired, at the cost of your king. did we learn anything about constantly complaining? :P lol
    I doubt very much that we got the park as an exchange for the king. Like I said... the story demanded his death. Fine. We wanted Blizzard to fix the park, they did and it fitted the story.

I like the new memorial, I just don't think it makes up for the lost park. The new one is beautiful, really, but it doesn't have the same functionality the old one did. The old park was reclusive, almost druid-like. There were tons of "free" buildings for players to host events in and it was a quiet area where generally no player went unless they wanted to participate in an event or RP. The new 'park' is far too open in comparison and it has a specific function as Varian's memorial site.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra View Post
    I like the new memorial, I just don't think it makes up for the lost park. The new one is beautiful, really, but it doesn't have the same functionality the old one did. The old park was reclusive, almost druid-like. There were tons of "free" buildings for players to host events in and it was a quiet area where generally no player went unless they wanted to participate in an event or RP. The new 'park' is far too open in comparison and it has a specific function as Varian's memorial site.
    At least the new park looks like a ... you know... park.
    The old one was litteraly a wall of houses around a moonwell. Somehow that doesn't scream "park to me"... it came over more like a building complex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, you have confused me now. All I asked was how is this a spoiler as it has been going on for at least a fortnight now on live.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    That's their choice. The demon invasions are live now. The story is already happening. We can't control when you decide to start playing. Maybe you should stay out of forums till then?

- - - Updated - - -

I love the memorial. I play Alliance and Horde. It's a beautiful monument and Varian deserved it.
    Maybe you should learn what a fucking spoiler is in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, so they finally fixed the gaping smoldering hole in the ground that plagued northern stormwind for... five years?

And what remodel-and-polishing number is Orgrimmar on now? Three?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

For purposes of this forum, 'spoiler' has traditionally meant something that hasn't gone live yet. Once it's available on live servers, accessible to anyone playing the game, it becomes open for discussion. If we held all forum posts because some players might be lurking here but waiting to play till later, we'd always be waiting.

Deleted
    Maybe you should stop browsing a game's lore forum if you don't want to read "spoilers" that have been known for over two weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    The alliance has always honoured its heroes with monuments, see Stormwind entrance, Uther's tomb, Tirion's Statue and Anduin Lothar's in burning steppes.

Your bias is strong.

that wouldn't be true to the lore, but a sign like the one in the clef of shadows would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    1) So did Voljin - to a vastly greater number of demons.
    2) Varian was dead the moment he took two blades through the chest. Guldan just finished him off. Voljin was fel poisoned.
    3) Both Bolvar and Varian died like little bitches. That's two lossss for Aliance - three if you count Jaina going all emo yet again and taking off in a time of war.
    Bolvar is not dead, he is the Lich King. Did you mean Fordring? He only fell into the lava, he might survive?

yeah, it just doesn't really feel horde to have a memorial, unless it's blood elves.