Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Standing behind mobs

So here's a laugh for you. I've been playing since 2007, have raided Mythic and for whatever reason I'm still not 100% sure about standing behind mobs as melee dps. Is standing behind mobs a dps increase now and why? If not now, was it ever? In the back of my mind I've always wondered. Is that why people run around in constant circles in PvP?

Once you're done laughing I'd appreciate a reply.

Thanks.

Mobs and players can parry/dodge/block your attacks from the front, but not from the back.

This was mostly a concern prior to the removal of the Expertise stat, but it still happens today, albeit at a reduced chance.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2016-08-25 at 08:22 PM.

Not 100% it is still a thing, but you can't parry(or dodge maybe?) from behind and mobs can't either. Leading to it being a dps increase. And of course rogues with backstab.
    s(^.^)-b

Not 100% sure if it still applies today as I haven't tested it lately. But before, you stood behind them because they had a reduced chance to dodge\parry, especially back when we had to focus on Expertise.

Pretty sure it still applies today because I find on my melee toons when I'm doing old dungeons, range pretty much always kills the bosses faster, because none of my attacks are parried. Where as melee, I can pretty much always see 1-2 attacks parried and it really sucks when It's a big attack like an Execute.

Not sure that applies in PvP, cause I don't pvp much.

To add on to the first couple replies. Your target generally can't attack people behind it and many bosses have frontal cleaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Deleted
    Watch out for the tail swipe!

Deleted
    There is a few different attempts at the truth here but here are the facts:

You cant be parried from behind a monster. You can still be dodged which is why people where stacking expertise even while behind monsters(the chance to be parried is a lot higher then chance to be dodged, so with standing behind the mob and having some expertise you could eliminate both).

Today the same applies - you can be parried from the front.
    Last edited by mmocfe2bab4c21; 2016-08-25 at 08:42 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    mobs have a chance to parry and block attacks from the front so standing behind them is a dps increase
    block=30% dmg reduce for the mob and parry 100%

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Julmara View Post
    mobs have a chance to parry and block attacks from the front so standing behind them is a dps increase
    block=30% dmg reduce for the mob and parry 100%
    They dont block

Standing behind mobs (or on the sides since "front" for this instance is a frontal cone around 90 degrees) counters dodge, parry, and block.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    They dont block
    Mobs with shields can block.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KayOfGames View Post
    Standing behind mobs (or on the sides since "front" for this instance is a frontal cone around 90 degrees) counters dodge, parry, and block.

Mobs with shields can block.
    Mobs with healing can heal.

This is an argument about why you stand behind mobs in general not why you stand behind special mobs with shields

Also standing behind monsters does not prevent it dodging attacks

10+ Year Old Account
    From Vanilla WoW, from my own recollection:

An attack from the front can be dodged, blocked, or parried. Attacks from behind can only be dodged (for NPCs, PCs can't dodge attacks from behind). Additionally, a Parry gives the character performing the parry haste, causing their next attacks to come faster.

Basically, you do more DPS and your tank takes less damage if you aren't standing in front.

This information is also easily outdated

As for PvP, it is for getting attacks in on the back
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Mobs with healing can heal.
    And report sent.

Deleted
    And report sent.
    I dont even know if i should laugh or cry at this.

I guess i'l take it as a complete surrender on your part.

And report sent.
    Is sass a reportable offence now?

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex View Post
    From Vanilla WoW, from my own recollection:

An attack from the front can be dodged, blocked, or parried. Attacks from behind can only be dodged (for NPCs, PCs can't dodge attacks from behind). Additionally, a Parry gives the character performing the parry haste, causing their next attacks to come faster.

Basically, you do more DPS and your tank takes less damage if you aren't standing in front.

This information is also easily outdated

As for PvP, it is for getting attacks in on the back
    Parry-haste is no longer a thing for mobs - it is however for players, or at least was before pre-patch (don't know if they changed in patch, doubt it though). Otherwise this is correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    well i see it everytime when i tank that they block some attacks even even when they dont have a shield @KayOfGames

I don't know about anymore but years ago I remember knowing someone that was really particular about being behind mobs while playing melee. To this day I subconsciously position myself behind mobs, no matter the class or spec I'm playing. I don't know if it helps as far as killing them faster but it's almost always beneficial to be behind them because of frontal attacks.

Deleted
    Ask Varian; he could have used that 1 or 2 more parries. ;D

Prior to WoD expansion, Boss (+3 level) mobs had 7.5% chance to dodge (plus 1.5% for every level higher) from any position, and additional 7.5% chance to parry (plus 1.5% for every level higher) from the front. So you would get enough expertise to cancel out the dodge, then put the rest of your stats into stuff you want.

WoD expansion phased out hit and expertise and combat table was changed. Now Boss (+3 level) mobs have 0% chance to dodge (plus 1.5% for every level higher) from any facing and 3% chance to parry from the from (plus 1.5% for every level higher).

Bosses also block attacks from the front, reducing some % of the attacks landed by 30%

So there is still a penalty attacking from the front but not as severe as before. You still want to attack from the back though unless the fight favors otherwise.