Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

30 FPS after Alt+Tab

So I just rebuilt my computer with a GTX1070, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 850 PSU, basically more power than is needed for wow. With VSync disabled, I get like 200 FPS.

What happens sometimes (regardless of V-Sync) after I tab out and then back into WoW, my FPS is stuck at a strict 30FPS. Doesn't dip below, doesn't go above 30. Re-alt tabbing out of WoW and back in can sometimes fix it, but sometimes requires a restart of WoW. It's really annoying.

I'm 100% sure this isn't caused by load, ventilation, heat as my cooling setup is solid and temps are low...and it can happen shortly after logging in with no intensive gaming. Feels like some sort of setting with either WoW or my GPU, potentially a Windows application.

Any ideas?

Also - I get consistent 30 second screen freezes. It appears to happen when WoW is loading new map content (not loading screen, but like a new area I haven't been). Should not happen with my SSD.

Thank you for your expertise!
    Last edited by rhackin; 2016-08-25 at 10:41 PM.

Sometimes simple is the way to go. In wow's settings it has an FPS limiter for when you alt tab out, do you have that on? Maybe its getting stuck when you tab back in and not going higher.

Can you try and run in Fullscreen (Windowed) and see if same thing happens? I just built a new PC with the same setup and always play in windowed because full screen sometimes has similar issues.

Log into WoW go into your settings and then go into the "Advanced" settings. On the right side you should see a "Max Background FPS" slider either raise that to your desired FPS or turn it off completely (to do that simply uncheck the checkbox next to it). Let me know if that helps.

In reference to the screen freeze I honestly have no clue, my best guess is it's blizzard side. I'd put in a ticket about that. You could try disabling your addons and lowering your graphics settings.
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-08-25 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Log into WoW go into your settings and then go into the "Advanced" settings. On the right side you should see a "Max Background FPS" slider either raise that to your desired FPS or turn it off completely (to do that simply uncheck the checkbox next to it). Let me know if that helps.

In reference to the screen freeze I honestly have no clue, my best guess is it's blizzard side. I'd put in a ticket about that. You could try disabling your addons and lowering your graphics settings.
    This.

Turn off Max Background FPS.