Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

what to upgrade for wow

Hey so as legion is coming out and I haven't changed or updated my stuff in a few years I was wondering if anyone can suggest a decent GPU to upgrade to as well as if I should buy a new PCU or not/ if they think some more ram will be of use?

These are my current system specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    System: 64 bit windows 10
    GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280 X
    PCU: its a XFX TS power supply and I think its 500W but I'm 100% its not below that though (Pretty sure its this one which makes it 550W)

So yeah I mainly play league and wow but do play some steam games etc as well as do a lot of image editing and use most of the adobe programs. I do stream now and then as well as well as running dual monitors

So was hoping someone could suggest a good GPU to upgrade to as I keep getting messages about it failing and that windows has recovered it and my fps isn't great in wow or league anymore but would also like to know if I should bother getting a new PCU / some more ram

Edit: Looking to spend around £300 for the GPU
    Last edited by mmocdb9b77edc4; 2016-08-27 at 04:39 PM.

Get a gtx 1070/1080 or r9 480

Did you upgrade your harddisk yet? As getting a SSD will help you more than extra RAM if you already have 8G.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    if its just for wow get a gtx 980 and a ssd

Quote Originally Posted by Nurhlag View Post
    Hey so as legion is coming out and I haven't changed or updated my stuff in a few years I was wondering if anyone can suggest a decent GPU to upgrade to as well as if I should buy a new PCU or not/ if they think some more ram will be of use?

PCU: its a XFX TS power supply and I think its 500W but I'm 100% its not below that though (Pretty sure its this one which makes it 550W)

So yeah I mainly play league and wow but do play some steam games etc as well as do a lot of image editing and use most of the adobe programs. I do stream now and then as well as well as running dual monitors

So was hoping someone could suggest a good GPU to upgrade to as I keep getting messages about it failing and that windows has recovered it and my fps isn't great in wow or league anymore but would also like to know if I should bother getting a new PCU / some more ram
    Do you feel like you need to upgrade?

Have you maxed your OC? if not, you might want to since a new CPU wont be better by much (maybe look at cooling solutions).

You can consider a new GPU, but only if you get low FPS in other games than WoW since a new GPU will help but only a little.

Deleted
    Sorry forgot to mentioned I have two SSD's installed, installed the 2nd one today

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    Do you feel like you need to upgrade?

Have you maxed your OC? if not, you might want to since a new CPU wont be better by much (maybe look at cooling solutions).

You can consider a new GPU, but only if you get low FPS in other games than WoW since a new GPU will help but only a little.
    How do I know if I've maxed out my OC? (also whats an OC) lol

Quote Originally Posted by smooshtheman View Post
    if its just for wow get a gtx 980 and a ssd
    Don't get a 980, it's bad value now. If anything get a 1060 or a 1070

And to the OP. An OC is an overclock, to get the best performance out of your CPU in WoW you'll need to overclock it. I would recommend looking up some guides. 8GB of ram is fine for wow don't worry about that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post

And to the OP. An OC is an overclock, to get the best performance out of your CPU in WoW you'll need to overclock it. I would recommend looking up some guides. 8GB of ram is fine for wow don't worry about that.
    I'd never really done any OC because I'd read it usually just fries your shit, but is it pretty safe to OC your CPU then?

also I was looking to spend max £300 on a GPU I'll edit that into the OP

I'd never really done any OC because I'd read it usually just fries your shit, but is it pretty safe to OC your CPU then?

also I was looking to spend max £300 on a GPU I'll edit that into the OP
    It only fries your CPU if you do something horribley wrong, if you follow a guide and do it correctly you'll be fine. IE my 6700k is OCed to 4.4ghz atm. And I'd recommend a 1060 for your GPU
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-08-27 at 05:03 PM.

Sorry forgot to mentioned I have two SSD's installed, installed the 2nd one today

How do I know if I've maxed out my OC? (also whats an OC) lol
    You have a K-series CPU which is overclockable, look up some guides for your mother board and check out some overclocking data for your CPU. Keep in mind that overclocking's worst byproduct is heat, so proper CPU cooling is needed.

Yes 1060 or 1070 is the way to go, but don't expect wonders in WoW.

an R9 280x ought to be plenty fine for WoW; I would make sure you aren't just experiencing some weird driver issue. If the card does need replaced the 1060 is a pretty nice value.

you should not need to overclock a 3.5ghz i5 for WoW; it might be worth doing if you notice slowdown while streaming, but for just playing the game 3.5ghz should be more than sufficient. Most i5s can be clocked at least 10% or so past factory speed with no issues; your mobo likely already supports this.

@Beckers what do you mean? a 1060 is more than enough for WoW, WoW is CPU bound not GPU. The bottle neck for him is still going to be his CPU even after he overclocks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    an R9 280x ought to be plenty fine for WoW; I would make sure you aren't just experiencing some weird driver issue. If the card does need replaced the 1060 is a pretty nice value.

you should not need to overclock a 3.5ghz i5 for WoW; it might be worth doing if you notice slowdown while streaming, but for just playing the game 3.5ghz should be more than sufficient. Most i5s can be clocked at least 10% or so past factory speed with no issues; your mobo likely already supports this.
    Overclocking in WoW shows a pretty big jump in performance (more than most games) being that WoW doesn't properly use multiple CPU cores. And a R9 280 is fine yeah, but a 1060 would be a nice jump for him.

Deleted
    @Beckers what do you mean? a 1060 is more than enough for WoW, WoW is CPU bound not GPU. The bottle neck for him is still going to be his CPU even after he overclocks.

- - - Updated - - -

Overclocking in WoW shows a pretty big jump in performance (more than most games) being that WoW doesn't properly use multiple CPU cores. And a R9 280 is fine yeah, but a 1060 would be a nice jump for him.
    sorry is this what you mean by 1060? if so any idea why its like a 2 month delivery? xD

Edit: Looking to spend around £300 for the GPU
    get a GTX 1060, its right around the $280 ( $250 ish euro ), also get an after market cooler for your CPU (( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099 )) this is a good option as the stock intel heat sinks (( tiny round disk with unshrouded fan )) are horrid at dissipating heat
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

sorry is this what you mean by 1060? if so any idea why its like a 2 month delivery? xD
    There are multiple manufacturers for the 1060s aftermarket coolers, that is what I meant but you can also find other brands IE MSI/EVGA. That one seems to either be super out of stock. Assuming you live in europe you guys also get kinda screwd in the PC part market, you'll have to shop around abit maybe not just on amazon maybe some local stores too. You can also look around at some 1070s but they'll be quite a bit more expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    get a GTX 1060, its right around the $280 ( $250 ish euro ), also get an after market cooler for your CPU (( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099 )) this is a good option as the stock intel heat sinks (( tiny round disk with unshrouded fan )) are horrid at dissipating heat
    We haven't confirmed if he has or doesn't have an aftermarket CPU cooler already, would probably be a good question to ask.

There are multiple manufacturers for the 1060s aftermarket coolers, that is what I meant but you can also find other brands IE MSI/EVGA. That one seems to either be super out of stock. Assuming you live in europe you guys also get kinda screwd in the PC part market, you'll have to shop around abit maybe not just on amazon maybe some local stores too. You can also look around at some 1070 but they'll be quite a bit more expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

We haven't confirmed if he has or doesn't have an aftermarket CPU cooler already, would probably be a good question to ask.
    its a safe assumption from his comments. he has very little PC knowledge meaning he most likely just used the stock heatsink like some 80% of PC owners do. so I tossed it in with a description of a stock intel heatsink. if ha has an aftermarket one already ... good for him.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Deleted
    If you only play WoW, your GPU is more than enough. Get a SSD and save your money for a new CPU/MB/RAM when something comes out that is worth the Upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of curiosity... when did you buy your GPU, and what brand is it? if it has a 3-5 year warranty, it may still be covered if it is failing.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Get a gtx 1070/1080 or r9 480
    1070/1080?? for WoW?

RX 480/GTX 1060 or keep what you have . .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    1070/1080?? for WoW?

RX 480/GTX 1060 or keep what you have . .
    Yeah a 1070/1080 is totally overkill. I'm running a 1080 and it made no difference mentionable when upgrading from a 970GTX, you might be able to crank up some AA and Render scaling to 200% but that's basically it. I'm running the same CPU as you OP, but with a 212 Cooler master, i cranked it up to 1.3ish volt on the core and it sits at 4.45Ghz stable.