Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    My best guess? The numbers showed them what they spent on WoD advertising vs. what it brought them in revenue wise alerted to the fact it probably wasn't worth it.

I don't think MMORPG's have ever been those types of games where TV adverts are going to bring in the majority of your player base. Better suited to games like Call of Duty.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    by your own link it's less than 20%.. That is a majority?
    Everything is a majority if you are one of those doing it. Just look at the forums and the "majority" of players is dissatisfied with wow.

They don't need to advertise at all. People that play WoW know when to come back....Bliz has been doing the 2 year expansion cycle since 2004.

Man, I stopped using adblock the moment I started caring about content creators. adblock screws them out of a living
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as we're certain that if it does relatively well people will talk about how Blizzard over-hyped it later on.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    I've seen ads for it, but I can't remember if it was on TV or Youtube.

And you know what's really interesting? A day or so ago there was a thread about somebody whining about getting a Legion ad email from Blizzard.

Now here's a guy who says they aren't advertising enough.

The WoW community, everyone. Top form as usual.
    Im not whining though just genuinely surprised i havent seen much advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I got this...

That debunks the "majority" has adblock software active.

The article speaks of "There are now 198 million active adblock users around the world."
    Whereas, there's this: "Globally 3.2 billion people are using the Internet of which 2 billion are from developing countries."

Generally speaking now...
    While it's safe to say that almost everyone on this platform considers web-ads atrocious, and circumvents them via ad blocker, the facts remain the facts though.
    It's only a fraction of internet users, even less so an even smaller number of devices used, that are blocking out ads.
    That's why they exists. If these ads weren't effective, it wouldn't be a multi billion dollar industry. Marketing people aren't exactly known for being idiots.
    The expected turnover from such ads isn't very high either. 0.003% success is pretty much the expected rate.
    Page fair did a more thorough analysis a few years before this rather brief one. It has the benefit of including other ad blockers other than "adblocker", such as noscript, tor, https everywhere etc. .
    https://downloads.pagefair.com/wp-co...Mainstream.pdf

While the claim "a majority of internet users also block ads" doesn't seem true, the 18-29 male demographic was over 50% in 2013, so we could see many marketing important demographics tipping over that line as the current group ages out.

Blizzard doesn't like parting with $$$ as much as they love collecting it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    2 days to go till Legion and I haven't seen one TV ad (UK) for it. WoD literally had a TV ad everyday 2 weeks before release and afterwards, it feels like Blizzard hasn't even bothered promoting Legion here....
    I mean they are probably basing this decision off of how preorders went. Let's be honest, WOD brought a lot of people back who it then pissed off.

Don't most people use adblock now? I do and I haven't seen a Legion ad online
    Facebook ads are still there. Adblock can't do shit against it.

2 days to go till Legion and I haven't seen one TV ad (UK) for it. WoD literally had a TV ad everyday 2 weeks before release and afterwards, it feels like Blizzard hasn't even bothered promoting Legion here....
    They learned their lesson from WoD. Overhyped piece of shit. Won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalfury View Post
    Hmm must admit, this is the first expansion I don't remember there being a tv spot for
    Above.

I have seen web ads. I do not think I have seen TV ads while at the same time I rarely watch broadcast TV. This would not be the first time to see a sharp reduction in TV advertisement. Back in BC and early WotLK, Blizzard put out a lot of TV and internet advertisement including entertainment icons. That sharply dropped off towards the end of WotLK. Falls in line with an interview early Cata launch about focus shifting to different markets due to stagnation with the current at the time.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see the ads on youtube quite often on my phone, since I cant install adblock on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually no, it's obnoxious online ads that pop up that killed online advertisement. MMOC is a good example as it's such a pain to visit without adblock, mine is currently blocking 35, that's a ridiculous number
    /offtopic
    Mine is sitting at 51 atm :O
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Adblock users aren't more than 5% of overall internet users.
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Ridiculous statements over interwebs are ridiculous.
    When I flip what you just said on it's head, it makes a lot more sense. I don't think any of us knows how many people use AdBlock, but to respond to the claim that majority do with a claim that 5% do is just as ridiculous as the original claim.

Well seeing as though so many people now a days own a tablet or smart phone, on top of the near limitless devices (tv, consoles, computers, phones, etc) that have access to thing such as Twitch and Youtube, on top of social media. I don't think they really need to focus on television. To be honest I've seen less and less TV ads for games in general except during special premiers or sporting events.

On top of that I know for a fact that Gamestop plays videos, although bad ones, talking about the game. So there you have a gaming store advertising it as well.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."