Page 1 of 3
LastLast

A Powerful Russian Weapon: The Spread of False Stories

Really, really long article at the link. I edited it down but left a lot out. Putin is former KGB, KGB once spread a rumor in Latin America that US citizens wanted to adopt Latin American babies to harvest their organs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/wo...tion.html?_r=0

With a vigorous national debate underway on whether Sweden should enter a military partnership with NATO, officials in Stockholm suddenly encountered an unsettling problem: a flood of distorted and outright false information on social media, confusing public perceptions of the issue.

The claims were alarming: If Sweden, a non-NATO member, signed the deal, the alliance would stockpile secret nuclear weapons on Swedish soil; NATO could attack Russia from Sweden without government approval; NATO soldiers, immune from prosecution, could rape Swedish women without fear of criminal charges.

They were all false, but the disinformation had begun spilling into the traditional news media, and as the defense minister, Peter Hultqvist, traveled the country to promote the pact in speeches and town hall meetings, he was repeatedly grilled about the bogus stories.

“People were not used to it, and they got scared, asking what can be believed, what should be believed?” said Marinette Nyh Radebo, Mr. Hultqvist’s spokeswoman.

As often happens in such cases, Swedish officials were never able to pin down the source of the false reports. But they, numerous analysts and experts in American and European intelligence point to Russia as the prime suspect, noting that preventing NATO expansion is a centerpiece of the foreign policy of President Vladimir V. Putin, who invaded Georgia in 2008 largely to forestall that possibility.

In Crimea, eastern Ukraine and now Syria, Mr. Putin has flaunted a modernized and more muscular military. But he lacks the economic strength and overall might to openly confront NATO, the European Union or the United States. Instead, he has invested heavily in a program of “weaponized” information, using a variety of means to sow doubt and division. The goal is to weaken cohesion among member states, stir discord in their domestic politics and blunt opposition to Russia.

“Moscow views world affairs as a system of special operations, and very sincerely believes that it itself is an object of Western special operations,” said Gleb Pavlovsky, who helped establish the Kremlin’s information machine before 2008. “I am sure that there are a lot of centers, some linked to the state, that are involved in inventing these kinds of fake stories.”

Russia also made at least one overt attempt to influence the debate. During a seminar in the spring, Vladimir Kozin, a senior adviser to the Russian Institute for Strategic Studies, a think tank linked to the Kremlin and Russian foreign intelligence, argued against any change in Sweden’s neutral status.

“Do they really need to lose their neutral status?” he said of the Swedes. “To permit fielding new U.S. military bases on their territory and to send their national troops to take part in dubious regional conflicts?”

Whatever the method or message, Russia clearly wants to win any information war, as Dmitry Kiselyev, Russia’s most famous television anchor and the director of the organization that runs Sputnik, made clear recently.

Speaking this summer on the 75th anniversary of the Soviet Information Bureau, Mr. Kiselyev said the age of neutral journalism was over. “If we do propaganda, then you do propaganda, too,” he said, directing his message to Western journalists.

“Today, it is much more costly to kill one enemy soldier than during World War II, World War I or in the Middle Ages,” he said in an interview on the state-run Rossiya 24 network. While the business of “persuasion” is more expensive now, too, he said, “if you can persuade a person, you don’t need to kill him.”

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Srsly , spreading misinformation for political agenda is a russian only thing now ? Like come on....

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    America, notable for honesty and never interfering with others. /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I am getting so many reasons for using that J Jonah Jameson laughing gif today...
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2016-08-28 at 10:32 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hardly a new tactic, by ANY country : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinformation

Incoming Putinistas!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Incoming Putinistas!
    Fully expecting Shalcker and his boner for Putin and Trump to be here any minute.

Yes beacuse America is the shining beacon of honesty.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Russia and it's President are one of the few who has the balls to stand up to the USA who is quite frankly turning the world into something I am not proud to be a part of.

I do believe Russia is posturing and exaggerating its capabilities but it's to maintain its position as a strong and independent country that is simply looking out for its own national interests. At least Russia respects international law which the US has blatantly ignored whenever it chooses.

Edit: And yeah as others have said, the US outright lies and is in control of the biggest propaganda machine in the world.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2016-08-28 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Yes beacuse America is the shining beacon of honesty.
    Yes, because whataboutism is VERY popular in our dear, big eastern neighbour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whataboutism is strong in these comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Fully expecting Shalcker and his boner for Putin and Trump to be here any minute.
    And Ulmita with his knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Whataboutism is strong in these comments.
    It's amazing how willing people are to accept atrocities committed by those they are politically aligned with. How many people called Bush a Nazi, then said nothing when Obama did even worse things. Now these same people are going to vote for somebody who is about ten times worse than Bush and Obama combined. It leads me to question whether people really believe in anything, especially when I see somebody like Noam Chomsky endorsing Hillary Clinton.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Xtin View Post
    Srsly , spreading misinformation for political agenda is a russian only thing now ? Like come on....
    Few use it on such an industrial scale, nor with such intensity and frequency. Russia truly does "weaponize" misinformation on an unprecendented scale.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Russia and it's President are one of the few who has the balls to stand up to the USA who is quite frankly turning the world into something I am not proud to be a part of.

I do believe Russia is posturing and exaggerating its capabilities but it's to maintain its position as a strong and independent country that is simply looking out for its own national interests. At least Russia respects international law which the US has blatantly ignored whenever it chooses.

Edit: And yeah as others have said, the US outright lies and is in control of the biggest propaganda machine in the world.
    What's the price of their sovereignity or their national interests? Their economy is literally based around one commodity and their leader is sucking the entire country dry of its resources. I feel that at this point Russia should instead focus on developing inclusive institutions instead of extractive ones that solely serve to further the objectives of their leader, like they did during the Soviet era.

EDIT: Yes I'm paraphrasing Daron Acemoglu.
    Last edited by Bollocks; 2016-08-29 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    What's the price of their sovereignity or their national interests? Their economy is literally based around one commodity and their leader is sucking the entire country dry of its resources. I feel that at this point Russia should instead focus on developing inclusive institutions instead of extractive ones that solely serve to further the objectives of their leader, like they did during the Soviet era.

EDIT: Yes I'm paraphrasing Daron Acemoglu.
    Yeah how dare they recover their economy from absolute ruins by extracting their natural resources and selling it. Look at the state of Russia as late as the early 2000's! Their was doubt it would ever recover.

I repeat: At least Russia follows international law (yes even with Crimea) and doesn't impose it's way of life on others. It actively works with LEGITIMATE governments, not weaponise militant groups to overthrow governments it doesn't agree with only for those groups to become the next ISIL. The USA have done some absolutely shocking medieval and plain evil things to push it's global agenda. Can the same be said about Russia?
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2016-08-29 at 02:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think stupidity in buying everything that comes out of Russian mouths is more dangerous.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Yeah how dare they recover their economy from absolute ruins by extracting their natural resources and selling it. Look at the state of Russia as late as the early 2000's! Their was doubt it would ever recover.

I repeat: At least Russia follows international law (yes even with Crimea) and doesn't impose it's way of life on others. It actively works with LEGITIMATE governments, not weaponise militant groups to overthrow governments it doesn't agree with only for those groups to become the next ISIL. The USA have done some absolutely shocking medieval and plain evil things to push it's global agenda. Can the same be said about Russia?
    Are you really saying that Russia doesn't try to undermine governments?

7+ Year Old Account

But I never implied such, their economy is not doing well and is depending solely on one commodity. Instead of diversifying their economy and creating inclusive institutions, it seems that their leader is more interesting in draining the country for his personal gain and power hungry agenda.

Deleted
    A US media outlet spreading false information about their enemies being the only ones spreading false information. the pot calling the kettle black.