Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...you do realize that is not the ONLY avenue to take, right?

one might, I don't know, LEARN how to talk more sensitively? It's really not that hard - it's not, really!

If they become resentful - that's their choice, because then they're becoming the thing they're being accused of. Other people with intelligence actually look at it from the other's perspective and say "oh, here's what I meant to say" or wait and speak again learning a different way to present their idea or thought if there was no mal-intent on it.
    Kind of one dimesional and simple.

Why doesn't the offendee take the more "intelligent" route and not give a shit after the offender clarifies on what he meant?

I don't really care about PC one way or the other. People should just not be assholes and stop trying to control what other people do or say.

I find the anti-PC crowd to be hilariously hypocritical though.

Personally, I think there's a difference between being what most people consider polite and being politically correct. Politeness implies a tolerance for something but politically correctness implies an acceptance. In either case there's not much of an issue but too often, particularly in online circles, the acceptance is often pushed as a requirement moving it to a pseudo-totalitarian position.

Perhaps not the dictionary definitions, but living languages and all that? *shrug*
    Last edited by Ryme; 2016-08-30 at 11:09 AM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All "political correctness" is, is "deciding not to be a dick to people". That's it.

I really don't see how being pro-dickery is a defensible stance. Sure, you're "saying what you want", but that just means you're being a dick to people. I don't see why anyone should be proud of that.
    The issue is that PC doesn't stop people from being dicks. On the other hand, it stops people from being honest and expressive. Being against the rampant growth that PC is doesn't mean you're pro-dickery, it means you're anti-suppression.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Well if you recall you made a comment something to the point of how left wingers "always" recognize anti-White hate speech and treat it seriously.
    No, I think that comment is a product of your imagination. I am a bit smarter than to think that a huge group of people has some universal property which applies to every single individual.

And stop posting the same few videos in every single thread. We get it, you have nothing more than "Trigglepuff", "You fucking white male" and a few other memes to show; no point demonstrating it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Yeah the definition is still up to interpretation lol. Unless you consider any sort of a joke as an attack, which I wouldn't put past you or some of the other guy's on the forum lol. The problem is that the "I'm offended" card has been abused, to the point where people use it as a way to get out of real discussions. Well that and it appears the the left is deliberately trying to kill comedy and many forms of creative thought.
    "The". "Left". Does. Not. Have. A. Hive. Mind.

"I'm offended" can be abused just as much as freedom of speech can be abused.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    "The". "Left". Does. Not. Have. A. Hive. Mind.

"I'm offended" can be abused just as much as freedom of speech can be abused.
    You literally just said media can have agendas. While its not technically a hive mind, it is something. "The left wing media" can certainly be a thing, just as right wing media.

Its sad that I am, and I have to bother explaining this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You literally just said media can have agendas. While its not technically a hive mind, it is something. "The left wing media" can certainly be a thing, just as right wing media.

Its sad that I am, and I have to bother explaining this.
    "The left wing media" makes no sense. Every media company has its own agenda, yet you want to group thousands different companies into one category. It's always appalled me how many people seem to think in terms of generalizations and templates, ignoring the complexity of what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I've always found it funny that every group is treated as if they have unique individuals with unique experiences. Individuals and experiences that I shouldn't speak for or about because I "don't get it".

Yet - as a hetero white male - it seems like everyone and their brother feels like they can comment on my "privilege" and what my life must be like at every turn. I can't say, "Women are..." or "That ethnic group is...." without being dogpiled on, but it seems totally fine for everyone else to say, "Men are..." and "White people do..." whenever they feel like it.
    I am a hetero white male, and I haven't encountered a single time anyone saying anything like this to me. Maybe it is because I am not so obsessed with this topic?
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    What an edgy comment. I guess it's not racist when it's directed to white people though eh? The irony in your post is quite hilarious.
    I'm sorry if my non-PC statement offended you. Of course anti-PC people fit all sorts of demographics and are upset about all sorts of words being considered impolite, I just have that mental image because the Daily Mail and it's stereotypical readership has been the most outspoken opponent of political correctness for most of my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? That's what you want to say? Rather disappointing that, "Nut-uh!" is all you feel like saying. You're usually better than that.

In any case, this shit is constantly bleeding into everything nowadays. I don't know how people DON'T notice it now. Was trying to read some stuff about MtG on a site the other day and ran into no fewer than three articles on the topic. The shit is just everywhere now.
    Ha-ha, the stories are getting better and better... What in the world did you put into the search bar, to get anti-white-male articles when looking for MtG stuff?

Ha-ha, the stories are getting better and better... What in the world did you put into the search bar, to get anti-white-male articles when looking for MtG stuff?
    The same universe where some white people wearing sombreros at a college theme party is viewed as a racist slight.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Really? That's what you want to say? Rather disappointing that, "Nut-uh!" is all you feel like saying. You're usually better than that.

In any case, this shit is constantly bleeding into everything nowadays. I don't know how people DON'T notice it now. Was trying to read some stuff about MtG on a site the other day and ran into no fewer than three articles on the topic. The shit is just everywhere now.
    Remember, it's the internet, everyone's lived experience is conveniently in line with their ideology depending on the discussion at hand.

Of course May90 would not argue a black person arguing against the BlackLivesMatter outlook is really representative, but trust and believe May90's experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to be in a strange mood today, you're not typically so combative about stuff.

In any case, it's not hard to be browsing articles on sites and see these articles mixed in. Hell, not too long ago there were some right on the front page of SCG, it's not like you have to go digging when this stuff pops up. You even get commentators going on tangents about it on streams now, too.
    Combative? No, I'm just enjoying this thread. It is an interesting phenomenon, when people get so caught up in believing in something, they start seeing it everywhere.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's all that "experience" stuff that drives me nuts. I don't mind if you're a woman and you talk about wanting to see more women in <activity>. That's great, we want to see more of everyone in <activity> so it grows!

But when you comment on something and get blasted because you "don't get" what their experience is and you're being racist/misogynist/whatever - but they can simultaneously go on these lengthy diatribes about YOUR life and experience and it's touted as some great seminal work on the topic of equity or something - that drives me nuts.
    I am a woman and firmly in the "Not SocJus" crowd and yet I find my lived experience doesn't amount to shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, "everywhere" was an exaggeration on my part, obviously. It has been bleeding into many gaming-related communities and media, though, it's not something you have to go digging for in order to find.
    *shrugs* Aside from this website, I see neither this nor discussion of this anywhere. I mean, if I intentionally start looking for videos of Sarkeesian or other similar kind of nut, then sure, I will find it... But why would anyone intentionally do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am a woman and firmly in the "Not SocJus" crowd and yet I find my lived experience doesn't amount to shit.
    Your lived experience is incorrect, duh. Politically speaking that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What "point"?

Political correctness is choosing not to be deliberately offensive to people.

Choosing to BE deliberately offensive is being a dick.

This isn't rocket surgery.
    Except your are dick yourself for getting that butthurt in the first place and worse you are such a sad dick that you compose new moral laws to protect your own brand of being a dick.

Combative? No, I'm just enjoying this thread. It is an interesting phenomenon, when people get so caught up in believing in something, they start seeing it everywhere.
    Like systemic racism.

No, I think that comment is a product of your imagination. I am a bit smarter than to think that a huge group of people has some universal property which applies to every single individual.

And stop posting the same few videos in every single thread. We get it, you have nothing more than "Trigglepuff", "You fucking white male" and a few other memes to show; no point demonstrating it all the time.
    That's the way it looked friend and I wasn't the only one that thought so. But unlike most of the the know-it-alls here ...if you tell me you meant something otherwise I'll believe you.

And SJW memes are awesome! C'mon you cant beat trigglepuff, aids skillrex, or cuck carl now can you?
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

We havnt had a world war or large disease to cull the weak so we have stuff like political correctness.

Deleted
    In Sweden people have been tired of this shit for quite some time.
    Newest example is groups pushing for people with disabilities (cerebral palsy, missing limbs, brain damage or whatever) shouldn't be called disabled, that a new word should be used.

Because disabled would mean that they are less functioning human being. Yep, you read it correctly. Having a disability does not make you more disabled than the avarage non disabled person.

That's currently how far it's gone in Sweden. Come back in 2-3 years Canada when PC-culture really reached its peak.