Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

UK to replace human rights act

http://www.euronews.com/2016/08/28/u...man-rights-act

Liz Truss, the newly appointed UK Lord Chancellor, told BBC radio 4 that the government is ‘committed’ to scrapping the Human Rights Act (HRA 1998) and replacing it with a “British bill of rights.”The Human Rights Act came into force in the UK in 2000, it effectively enshrines the protections in the 1950 European Convention on Human Rights into UK law.

Many conservatives have long opposed the Human Rights Act, particularly since the Strasbourg Court protected prisoners’ rights to vote and refused several deportation orders. The move to scrap the act formed part of David Cameron’s 2015 election manifesto but since then the political landscape in the UK is barely recognisable.

Activists’ Concerns
    Human Rights activists argue that Britain needs the “HRA 1998” more than ever citing widespread division and uncertainty in post-Brexit Britain. Many are wary of replacing the Human Rights Act with a “pick and mix”- bill, written by civil servants and politicians.He faced considerable opposition from a cross-party parliamentary committee, which warned that the proposed bill would undermine the UK’s international legal standing and “unravel” the constitution. A report from the committee stated:

“We urge the government not to introduce domestic human rights legislation that would jeopardise the UK’s participation in this important area of EU cooperation in the fight against international crime.”

Irish justice minister Frances Fitzgerald asked Michael Gove to consider Northern Ireland, citing Strasbourg’s external supervision as “an essential part of the peace process” without which the Good Friday Agreement could be in serious jeopardy.It is unclear what the British bill of rights would look like. Drafts, due to be published before the EU referendum, were delayed. A consultation on the future of Human Rights is now to be published “in due course”.

The Equality and Human Rights commission said:

“We welcome a debate on such an important issue and look forward to contributing to the development of ideas but would not support a reversal of the leading global role Britain has long played in protecting and promoting human rights.”
    Any thoughts on this?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    As long as the UK upholds its commitments on Minority language rights, I am fine with it. One of the few reasons I could think to be in the remain camp was that very issue, and to strongly encourage my sister to vote remain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    I can understand that people might like their sovereignty, but this strikes me as being unbelievably petty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Niles Rumfoord View Post
    I can understand that people might like their sovereignty, but this strikes me as being unbelievably petty.
    I have the feeling this government will be remembered for a loooong time and not in a good way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Niles Rumfoord View Post
    does it now?
    this has been long overdue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    does it now?
    this has been long overdue.
    Why? Who was asking for it?

Deleted
    A complete hijacking by the elite. Unelected bureaucrat's legislating law. A huge transfer of power to a government more right wing than Thatcher.

Additions will most likely include everything that got booted in the 'snoopers charter.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Supporters of mass surveillance.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

7+ Year Old Account
    Over 17 million people who voted for Brexit, did you forget? I am here to remind you
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Over 17 million people who voted for Brexit, did you forget? I am here to remind you
    How are the two things linked?

I think I'll wait and see what the replacement will look like first.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I am extremely concerned about a government that has not even been elected making changes to human rights laws (or any laws for that matter), especially a TORY government.

We already know Theresa May is a lying, conniving bitch. Why she is even allowed to make any alterations before an election is held is beyond me... if it were up to me she'd have been banned from government for the last report she falsified.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Not really. A good chunk of those didn't actually want to leave, a good chunk will be dead by Friday due to old age, a large chunk has no fucking clue what the fuck they voted for. And a large chunk doesn't give a shit how many civil rights get shredded as long as they get to kick out all the Polish plumbers and all the Pakis peddling curry.

Brexit. The dumbest thing a European country voted for since 1932.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I am extremely concerned about a government that has not even been elected making changes to human rights laws (or any laws for that matter), especially a TORY government.

We already know Theresa May is a lying, conniving bitch. Why she is even allowed to make any alterations before an election is held is beyond me... if it were up to me she'd have been banned from government for the last report she falsified.
    But but...Brexit and Democracy and stuff... UK INDEPENDENCE RAWR!

Deleted
    Smart decision if you ask me.

7+ Year Old Account
    How are the two things linked?
    The clue is in the name, a British Bill of Rights has nothing to do with the European ill conceived Human Rights Act.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Not judging until I see what these new rights consist of.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Not judging until I see what these new rights consist of.
    It's torries writing it, that's all you need to know. The same people (May included) who have doctored multiple government reports to influence legislation that suits their own conservative agendas.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Tennisace

WHAT SHOULD WE DO!

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think its definitely right to review current human rights legislation. I don't believe prisoners should vote and foreign people who commit crimes should be subject to deportation depending on the severity of the crime.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Brexit. The dumbest thing a European country voted for since 1932.
    Um did you miss something, British Independence Day was June 23rd, it is not a European country anymore. 17 million dumb people you say? Wow you must be a clever one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    The vote was about a Brexit, not about the human rights act.
    The vote was about removing as many bad European rules and regulations from British life as possible.