Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It's possible some routy students were just bringing American Flags to football games to purposely troll their opponents who happened to be Hispanic. So they stepped in and put a stop to it.

Now everyone else reading into this event without context is going to this it's the minority taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Brain washing? Like how the Media how the Republicans and Democrats have brainwashed America?
    Pretty much.

We are too far in to 2016 for me to be surprised at this kind of pants on head ridiculousness.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

honestly id still bring one and tell em to fuck off. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    No it is logical when you border a 3rd world country where the people are poorer and less educated.
    Switzerland is a 3rd world country and it beats the US in both education and wealth.

I don't think 3rd world means what you think it means.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You mean like How Canada feels when they look at the United States?

A border is an invisible line in the dirt. Its sole purpose is to consolidate power for a central government.
    Yes exactly, if they don't have loyalty to the US government we need to know about it. It will help inform our policy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

Yeah! And why do they sing the National Anthem at games! /s
    That is sarcasm? Because most non-americans do exactly wonder why.

But what a flag represents is a subjective thing. Does it represent the rugged individualism of many Americans, or the genocide and enslavement of humans? SHould it represent everything done under that flag? If so, then I would be very hesitant to wave any flag.
    That's a fair topic for discussion, but for this particular topic:
    - I don't believe you think that when someone is saluting a flag, they are saluting the flag itself and not showing respect for the country (for example) that flag represents, which is what your post sounded like
    - You can show loyalty to your country and still admit its faults. America has plenty of blemishes on its record. Its still my home and there are also plenty of good things worth showing my respect to, despite what the current election cycle would have me believe
    - I think its ridiculous that a sporting event (or any event really) in a country can't have people displaying the flag of that country. What, like "Don't tell them they're in the United States!"?

Yes exactly, if they don't have loyalty to our government we need to know about it. It will help inform our political policy.
    You think Canada should be loyal to the United States Flag and our government?

Pretty much.
    I've watched Game Theory, and the kind of brainwashing this would be referring to is basically present everywhere in the world where somebody simply tries to convince you of something. The other two kinds take place in extreme circumstances, through intense psychological abuse (ie: strapped to a chair watching a screen containing nothing but propaganda for hours or days or weeks) and manipulation such as hypnotism (though apparently any action performed while hypnotized is something the hypnotized person would be willing to do normally, ie; not an action that they strictly oppose, something like that).
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    If your loyalty lies in a flag, then I question your intelligence.
    The flag is very important/ a fetish to some Americans, its not something us lowly Yuropers/Canadians/Aussies will ever figure out why.,

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    That's a fair topic for discussion, but for this particular topic:
    - I don't believe you think that when someone is saluting a flag, they are saluting the flag itself and not showing respect for the country (for example) that flag represents, which is what your post sounded like
    - You can show loyalty to your country and still admit its faults. America has plenty of blemishes on its record. Its still my home and there are also plenty of good things worth showing my respect to, despite what the current election cycle would have me believe
    - I think its ridiculous that a sporting event (or any event really) in a country can't have people displaying the flag of that country. What, like "Don't tell them they're in the United States!"?
    Like I said, I think they should have been able to bring the flag in. All flags should be welcome. I am curious to see if many of those very same "patriots" would be outraged to see a rainbow or Mexican Flag. I'm fully in support of freedom, but South Carolina as a whole has a government that has a very long history of not supporting freedom. The same can be said for the United States government.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Define "most", a lot of countries play national anthems at events.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Hah, if you think that's overly exposed patriotism, DK has their flag on literally anything that can be painted. Pub sing? Flag it! Salad dish? Stick some plastic flags in it! Pack of chocolate cookies? Fucking cover it in flags! And extra points for having word "Dan" being a part of the name.
    Who is 'DK'?

7+ Year Old Account
    You think Canada should be loyal to the United States Flag and our government?
    I think Canadians should be loyal to Canada.

If you're a dual citizen who pays taxes to both governments, then in that case I think it could be logical to have both flags. Most people are not dual citizens though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Define "most", a lot of countries play national anthems at events.
    Source?
    And i'm not talking about international events. Because I know its not common at all here in west/north european countries.

The flag is very important/ a fetish to some Americans, its not something us lowly Yuropers/Canadians/Aussies will ever figure out why.,
    I'm a born and raised American, and even served in the United States Marine Corps. I used to be a brainwashed "patriot" who worshiped the flag. Now it is just a piece of cloth. That doesn't mean I hate the government, I simply see no reason to be brainwashed.

You may not want to comment about flag worship and fetishsized worship of a country... with that avatar and signature.

Probably because they don't live in America

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes exactly, if they don't have loyalty to the US government we need to know about it. It will help inform our policy.
    ...Policy of what?

I think Canadians should be loyal to Canada.

If you're a dual citizen who pays taxes to both governments, then in that case I think it could be logical to have both flags. Most people are not dual citizens though.
    I think people shouldn't need to feel obligated to be loyal to any government, or its people. They should simply treat others how they would like to be treated.