Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Canada to become a top Western contributor in peacekeeping missions

A new plan to deploy up to 600 peacekeepers in United Nations missions will allow Canada to leap into the front ranks of Western contributors to peacekeeping missions, even though it hasn’t yet figured out where to send the troops.

A year after a campaign promise to revive Canada’s long-neglected peacekeeping tradition, the federal Liberal government is beginning to invest money and soldiers in its pledge. Four cabinet ministers announced on Friday that Ottawa will commit up to 600 troops and $450-million over three years for “peace and stabilization operations.”

For most of the past decade, Canada has languished near the bottom of the world’s peacekeeping contributors. With slightly more than 100 peacekeepers abroad, Canada ranks only 67th in the list of contributing nations.

But if it deploys 600 additional troops and 150 police, as the ministers announced on Friday, Canada would rapidly move up to 36th on the list. And among Western nations, it would become the third-biggest contributor, behind only Italy and France, according to estimates by peacekeeping analyst Evan Cinq-Mars.

The new numbers might seem substantial, but the challenges for Canada will be complex and hazardous. Peacekeeping has become a perilous task in today’s war zones, with the rising proliferation of militias and terrorist groups, unpredictable threats from multiple directions, intensifying religious extremism, and the growing scrutiny of the human-rights record of peacekeepers on the ground.

Canada commits up to 600 soldiers for international peacekeeping

African conflict zones such as Mali or the Central African Republic are seen as the most likely places for the new Canadian peacekeepers.
    Yet the absence of any information on a specific UN mission in Friday’s announcement is a sign that the government realizes that the deployment decision won’t be easy or simple.

“The risks of deploying Canadian personnel are significant, and this is certainly primary in the government’s consideration of the ‘where’ and ‘how’ of this policy,” said Mr. Cinq-Mars, an analyst who specializes in peacekeeping and civilian protection in Africa.

“UN peacekeepers face immense expectations to robustly protect civilians and are increasingly targeted in the highly complex and dangerous situations where they’re deployed. But delivering on a commitment to support UN peace operations means accepting this risk and moving forward with specific commitments.”

Mali, a long-standing Western ally in West Africa and a favourite location for Canadian foreign aid and Canadian mining investments, is believed to be one of the front-runners for the Canadian peacekeeping deployment.

Yet Mali has been an increasingly hazardous site for peacekeepers in recent years, and today it has become the deadliest place for UN peacekeepers to serve. Since the deployment of the UN mission in Mali in 2013, more than 100 peacekeepers have been killed.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle31585520/

Great to see. I am proud of what Canada is doing and I think we should all be grateful as well. Hopefully more world leaders follow Mr Trudeau's lead. It's high time we use our military strength as a force for good.

Do you hope that your country will also follow Canada's lead and work towards a more peaceful world?

Many countries already do U.S,England thats about all i know that actually do.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    When will you go and keep the peace tenn?

Deleted
    Canada should lead the world into a better future.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't call Canadians "peaceful".

When will those Canadians learn that they need to stop sticking their heads into other countries business and leave them alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    $450 million over three years? The U.S. spent almost $600 billion on military spending last year. Canada is lagging behind....

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post

I wouldn't call Canadians "peaceful".
    The Canadians seem like the non aggressor in that photo but you've confirmed ducks and geeses are assholes.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    What? SATANIC TRUDEAU WANTS TO SEND CANADIANS OFF TO FORM DEATH SQUADS IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES?!?!??! Omg!?!?1/11
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

When will canada take in 9 mill refugees to match sweden? Surely canada cant be worse at saving refugees
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    The Canadians seem like the non aggressor in that photo but you've confirmed ducks and geeses are assholes.
    It's a canadian goose in the picture.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    When will canada take in 9 mill refugees to match sweden? Surely canada cant be worse at saving refugees
    Canadian are peacekeepers not suicidal plus not sure if you are aware but the term refugee is not the same as immigrants, they're not permanent resident.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So Canadians gonna keep all the peas?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    This leaves the Canadians still behind the Italians, and come on ... how many guys does it take to leave a horse head in someone's bed? https://www.rt.com/usa/323032-mafia-...rning-gambino/
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Did you read the article that you posted? 35 nations rank higher than Canada. Most people here will find that their countries rank higher, and therefore don't need to follow any lead.

Though I am sure you like the idea of sending more white people into Africa to tell those ignorant blacks what to do. Your racism is sickening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    $450 million over three years? The U.S. spent almost $600 billion on military spending last year. Canada is lagging behind....
    600 billion was not spent on peacekeeping. Get your facts straight.

up to 36th is "top"????

/rofl...........

oh and as far as $$

http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/op...inancing.shtml

United States (28.57%)
    China (10.29%)
    Japan (9.68%)
    Germany (6.39%)
    France (6.31%)
    United Kingdom (5.80%)
    Russian Federation (4.01%)
    Italy (3.75%)
    Canada (2.92%)
    Spain (2.44%)
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2016-08-28 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    600 billion was not spent on peacekeeping. Get your facts straight.
    Lol, what do you think the military is for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Lol, what do you think the military is for?
    Lol the U.S. military isn't about peacekeeping. Literally everyone knows that including former soldiers on here like @supertony51.

Lol the U.S. military isn't about peacekeeping. Literally everyone knows that including former soldiers on here like @supertony51.
    Peace means having a bigger stick than the other guy.

-Howard Stark
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano