Thread: check books

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

check books

Do you still use checks to pay for things? We're at a crossroads as a society where most people pay for everything with their debit cards however I know older people who refuse to use anything but their checkbook. I guess it's cause it's familiar to them. Do you guys use a check book? I personally don't. I barely carry cash anymore. Maybe a 20 in my pocket in case I want lunch at work but that's about it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Never used a cheque in my life

Typically only for rent, donating money or occasionally some kind of bill and they don't take online payments. Oh and application forms with deposits for things.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2016-09-03 at 05:04 PM.

Deleted
    i recieved a cheque when i scrapped my car, otherwise i have never used a cheque in my life. Ive never really understood the purpose of them these days, if ive ever needed to pay anything / transfer money i just do it either in the bank or online banking. I cant even remember the last time i used cash, must be a few months at least

Deleted
    People still use Cheques?

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do you still use checks to pay for things? We're at a crossroads as a society where most people pay for everything with their debit cards however I know older people who refuse to use anything but their checkbook. I guess it's cause it's familiar to them. Do you guys use a check book? I personally don't. I barely carry cash anymore. Maybe a 20 in my pocket in case I want lunch at work but that's about it.
    Debit cards provide minimal legal protection. If you can't use a credit card use a check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teddabear View Post
    Debit cards provide minimal legal protection. If you can't use a credit card use a check.
    Credit and debit cards offer the same protection here as far as I know

Deleted
    I have not seen a cheque in maybe 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by teddabear View Post
    I've always just used a debit card. What's so bad about them, legal protection wise?

On topic I haven't used a checkbook in almost a decade. And that was once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    A big advantage of checkbooks is that it encourages planning and budgeting. You know how much you are spending each time, and most people that use checkbooks actively balance their accounts with each purchase.

Many people struggling with money are having issues because the disadvantage of constantly swiping debit/credit cards is that they quickly lose track of how much they've spent.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    A big advantage of checkbooks is that it encourages planning and budgeting. You know how much you are spending each time, and most people that use checkbooks actively balance their accounts with each purchase.

Many people struggling with money are having issues because the disadvantage of constantly swiping debit/credit cards is that they quickly lose track of how much they've spent.
    I doubt many that are having issues keeping track because of a debit card are going to change much if they switch to checks.

I did recently get several check books though myself, they come in handy at times, like if you're buying a car from another person, chances are they're not gonna take a debit card, and taking the cash out is a bit more work than just writing a check.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    uncommon here in germany, we dont issue check books to individuals anymore. online banking ftw., thanks to IBAN and BIC.

In America, if you own a house instead of rent, you'll see yourself using checks a lot. Anytime you have to have any work done on the place, you're gonna use checks. That's not to say you can't pay with cash, but you certainly are usually unable to pay with a card.

If you're not using a credit card that accumulates point or cash for the vast majority of your purchases, you're probably doing something wrong.

Never even seen one. Is it something from 1800's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Never even seen one. Is it something from 1800's?
    It does seem rather archaic

My kids after school care only takes cash or check so we use a check for that. My daughters pep squad needed a check or money order for registration so we used a check. But those are the only things I can think of.

I rarely carry cash. Use credir card for all purchases because 5% cash back and pay all bills online.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Every so often I still do, even now that there are more prevalent forms of paying for things. Then again, I'm from a time before the internet being something that's mainstream.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    I just rely on my debit card and paypal.

Yeah, I use checks to pay sub contractors. They are sophisticated enough to accept credit cards and I don't want to keep cash around.

I feel like checks are a liability, someone could steal a check and cash it without my knowing. If I'm not paying attention that is.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland