Page 1 of 2
LastLast

10 years since THE biggest upset in history of basketball

USA in basketball just doesn't lose. And that was the very last game they did. I think they've only lost less than 10 games in their entire history since they were allowed to field players from the NBA since the original dream team in 1992.

So why THIS particular upset and not say the defeat against Argentina and Yugoslavia? Because both Argentina and Yugoslavia had several NBAers when they defeated USA. The 2006 Greek squad had no NBAers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god! Has it been 10 years already? I still remember watching the match back in the day! Too bad we got stomped by Spain in the final.

Deleted
    For us Greeks wasn't a surprise tbh.We had a very good team during that era,won eurobasket a few months before the game and the team was at its peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post

USA in basketball just doesn't lose. And that was the very last game they did. I think they've only lost less than 10 games in their entire history since they were allowed to field players from the NBA since the original dream team in 1992.

So why THIS particular upset and not say the defeat against Argentina and Yugoslavia? Because both Argentina and Yugoslavia had several NBAers when they defeated USA. The 2006 Greek squad had no NBAers.
    Not sure what the 92 dream team has to do with it....that was the Olympics, this game was not.....but ok, cool to remember? Lol

I never knew this happened but god damn that is amazing. Even though i'm an American i am happy for the winning team/country
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this like saying that Belgium beating USA in the 2014 world cup was an upset as they had no MLS players? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by velren View Post
    Not sure what the 92 dream team has to do with it....that was the Olympics, this game was not.....but ok, cool to remember? Lol
    Before 1992, the USA team was not allowed to use NBA players. So the USA team lost more often, than after 1992. After 1992 it is extremely rare for the USA team to lose. That's the relevance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Isn't this like saying that Belgium beating USA in the 2014 world cup was an upset as they had no MLS players? lol.
    No. Because NBA is 20 times better than the second in order basketball league on the planet. MLS is worse than the belgian league in football. The equivalent in football would to have Spain lose to a nation that doesn't have any footballers playing in Football La Liga, like Indonesia.

Deleted
    I've watched a couple of Olympic basketball games and the US team was winning even when not motivated.

THey even had a white man in there sometimes and still won!

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I've watched a couple of Olympic basketball games and the US team was winning even when not motivated.

THey even had a white man in there sometimes and still won!
    There weren't any white guys on the US Olympic squad.

At one point, they don't allow professional and doped players.

When you start to get paid millions of dollars, how can you not motivated?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    There weren't any white guys on the US Olympic squad.
    Klay Thompson is kind of white.

Last edited by mmocd1f612b92e; 2016-09-01 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Klay Thompson is kind of white.
    So is Obama, cuz they malotto's.

Biggest upset was the 2016 Cavs, down 3-1 to the greatest team in the history of the league, a team that also included the only unanimous MVP ever, meaning that guy has to be the greatest player ever as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

No. Because NBA is 20 times better than the second in order basketball league on the planet. MLS is worse than the belgian league in football. The equivalent in football would to have Spain lose to a nation that doesn't have any footballers playing in Football La Liga, like Indonesia.
    Football leagues do not relate that much to a countries overall strength though.
    In the last 2 games, the Dutch beat Spain(5-1 and 2-0) and did not have any players starting for barca or either of the Madrid teams.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    So is Obama, cuz they malotto's.

Biggest upset was the 2016 Cavs, down 3-1 to the greatest team in the history of the league, a team that also included the only unanimous MVP ever, meaning that guy has to be the greatest player ever as well.
    This is the biggest upset in bball history. Loosing the finals after a season like that AND leading 3-1 in the finals...

In 06, watching that US team, you could see they were not that great from their first games. Watching them loose was not a surprise. Schorchianitis (sorry if I misspell his name. Im talking about the "baby Shaq" of the greek team) just stomped the US bigs.... they had no answer for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Football leagues do not relate that much to a countries overall strength though.
    In the last 2 games, the Dutch beat Spain(5-1 and 2-0) and did not have any players starting for barca or either of the Madrid teams.
    True. Although Spain is on a mini crisis during the last couple of years. They dominated the past 10 and are expected to dominate the future as well.

As the person with the most posts in NBA/basketball threads combined in MMO-C's existence: who cares.

There's a reason they do best of 7 in most professional league sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    There's a reason they do best of 7 in most professional league sports.
    Best of 7 Super Bowl... has to be played over a 2 week span. THAT would be some... kinda boring, actually. Haven't been excited for a Super Bowl in my adult life.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stormare View Post
    For us Greeks wasn't a surprise tbh.We had a very good team during that era,won eurobasket a few months before the game and the team was at its peak.
    I think the big surprise for the Americans was that they always assumed non-NBA players were non-NBA players because they weren't good enough to be NBA players, it never occurred to them that maybe they simply didn't want to travel halfway round the planet to do the same job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Best of 7 Super Bowl... has to be played over a 2 week span. THAT would be some... kinda boring, actually. Haven't been excited for a Super Bowl in my adult life.
    RIp the 9/10 shitty half time mimic contests out and it would be great!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.