Deleted

Build request for max settings WoW Legion Only.

Good morning everyone, first of all thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my old machine (2009) to something a bit more well suited for the task at hand. The only PC game that I play is WoW and I have played it since 2005 with friends/family.

I'm looking for a new PC that could give me max settings on WoW at 1920x1080.

• Budget - There isn't really a budget but I don't want to go overboard.
    • Resolution - 1920 x 1080 (I've got 2x24" BENQ monitors which used to be in a dual screen setup which I'd like to maybe get a third and have a triple setup
    • Games / Settings Desired - World of Warcraft Legion - As high as it can go
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - I'd like to start capturing gameplay/streaming to twitch/youtube
    • Country - United Kingdom
    • Parts that can be reused - I have keyboard, mouse, two monitors, a case https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Nine-.../dp/B000JMJS7A, a 120gb SSD and cables, my power supply is 400w which is going to be too low
    • Do you need an OS? - No
    • Do you need peripherals - Wouldn't mind some new speakers, currently using a phillips soundbar

I also work at Maplin.co.uk which entitles me to a 25% discount off most things which could help with the budget.

Thank you kindly

A case I like the look of is the bit fenix prodigy case if i was going to change..

CPU : 6600K (6700K if your sure on streaming - additional £80~)

Motherboard : Asus Z170 Pro Gaming(Aura?) (Aura if your into RGB LED's everywhere, personally not to my taste) I swear by Asus for allot of things, never had a problem, obviously some would disagree, but as is the world of electronics, sometimes something breaks/doesn't work for literally no real reason. Could also up to a Maximus VIII Board, better overclocking if that's to your requirements. I have the Hero, and would very much recommend it. total waste of dosh if your not planning on OC'ing though.

Cooler : as always, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Other Air coolers only beat it when they near double the price. Amazing thing for £20 frankly. Again, if overclocking, could go for an AIO, would recommend Corsair H100i v2 - dependant on case. If you want to go with a Bitnefix prodogy, that's ITX and the motherboard wouldn't fit. A H100i isn't compatible with your current case either. I personally dislike ITX, it limits your choice on GPU and Motherboard features usually. ITX motherboards are great now compared to a few years ago, some even supporting just as much as an ATX board, but vastly more expensive for said features. I prefer Full towers and ATX components, loads of room, easy to build in.

RAM : Again, brand favouritism, I swear by Corsair for RAM, I recommend Corsair Vengeance LPX (DDR4, around 3000Mhz) comes in black and red I believe.

GPU : Nvidia 1060 or AMD 480, anything higher would be 100% complete overkill at 1080p You'd pick a specific card after you decide on an actual GPU.

PSU : 400w Should cover this build, assuming no overclocking. Although, when building so much of a PC new, it would be advisable to replace the PSU anyway. Power efficiency is soaring generation to generation, the required power is actually dropping over time, rather than increasing. Your call.
    Can't really reccomend a PSU untill you decide ;

Are you overclocking?
    6600K or 6700K?
    Which GPU?
    Form factor? (ITX or ATX)

Deleted
    Thank you for the advice, I would definitely like to stream to twitch/youtube in reasonble quality perhaps to an alternative SSD.
    The form factor would be Mini-ITX if possible, I'm in LOVE with this case.
    http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Bi...FdgaGwodwpAHeA

I wouldn't know where to begin with overclocking, I think it's perhaps best to stick to something that's stock?
    I was thinking of a gtx 970?

I could use my current motherboard which is..
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/aftershock-quad-core-amd-fm2-35-ghz-8gb-motherboard-and-processor-bundle-a94nj

Is what I'm currently using with a Sapphire HD 7770 but at 1920x1080 it doesn't seem to do well on 'high' settings.

:edit 2:
    I could keep my current case and strip it out for the components you'd recommend.
    Last edited by mmoc8342d5c019; 2016-09-02 at 03:17 PM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£257.00 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£22.49 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£86.55 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£65.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.74 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£56.28 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card (£237.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case (£69.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Other: Windows 10 - Kinguin.net (£24.99)
    Total: £972.47
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-02 16:17 BST+0100

Overclocking alternative:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£293.88 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£139.76 @ BT Shop)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.74 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£56.28 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card (£237.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case (£69.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Other: Windows 10 - Kinguin.net (£24.99)
    Total: £1105.56
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-02 16:20 BST+0100
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Most definitely go for Intel, AMD cpus are not in a happy place right now. Although that might change soon-ish, you wouldn't be able to keep your mobo.

I'd recommend something close to Thunderball's second suggestion, but probably with a CM 212 or 612 cooler just to save a few if the case your're using can fit a full size cooler. Always remember to check cpu cooler clearence if you go for something smaller than a midtower (even then, sometimes).

As for number of cores/threads, if you want to stream and possibly edit while gaming an i7 would probably not be a bad idea.
    I think a K series with a Z motherboard is worth it just for the stock clock speed, never mind the OC potential - but keep in mind that overclocking in a mini-ITX case would be a bit limited by cooler fitment.

Also avoid the 970 now unless you can get it at crazy prices. The 1060 is faster, cheaper and much less power hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    Most definitely go for Intel, AMD cpus are not in a happy place right now. Although that might change soon-ish, you wouldn't be able to keep your mobo.

I'd recommend something close to Thunderball's second suggestion, but probably with a CM 212 or 612 cooler just to save a few if the case your're using can fit a full size cooler. Always remember to check cpu cooler clearence if you go for something smaller than a midtower (even then, sometimes).

As for number of cores/threads, if you want to stream and possibly edit while gaming an i7 would probably not be a bad idea.
    I think a K series with a Z motherboard is worth it just for the stock clock speed, never mind the OC potential - but keep in mind that overclocking in a mini-ITX case would be a bit limited by cooler fitment.

Also avoid the 970 now unless you can get it at crazy prices. The 1060 is faster, cheaper and much less power hungry.
    Couple of notes:

You dont really need an i7 to stream anymore. With QuickSync, you can stream without a lot of quality degredation (almost none) at 1080p with an i5 pretty easily, or if you have an nVidia GPU, with Shadowplay with only a tiny amount of quality. Same with recording. Shadowplay lets you record with almost no performance hit.

Now, if you're going to be editing a lot of video - the i7 might be worth it just for that, because the extra threads really help with render times.

You dont need a Z-series motherboard if you dont intend to overclock (a K-series CPU works just fine in other 100-series motherboards, you just cant overclock it) but it isnt a lot more expensive so you might as well, and you can get the performance boost later if you decide that pressing two buttons to overclock isn't too rough.

Dont worry about cooling in an mITX case unless you get a really, really tiny case (there are maybe 3-4 where it might be an issue). Most are engineered for enthusiast cooling and have great airflow. (I build exclusively in mITX). A lot of them even have fittings for water cooling.

I highly recommend (if you go mITX) the Silverstone RAVEN RVZ-01/02, EVGA Hadron AIR (or Hydro if you want to water cool), or some Lian-Li cases if you want super-small and still have great performance.

If you dont mind the case being bigger (but still smaller than a mid-tower), the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX and NZXT Manta are both amazing cases that can fit water cooling, have great airflow, and are easy to work in with amazing cable management.

It's all in the name of "futureproofing", in lack of a better word. If you can at all afford it, I'd always suggest getting something a bit overkill in case you'll regret not doing so later (like I did, heh). I'd rather save money on memory, disks etc - stuff that's easy to upgrade down the line. I'd also get the cheapest motherboard you can find with the right chipset.

The reason for suggesting an i7 is that if streaming is something you want to do now, video editing is probably somewhere around the corner as well. Clock speed is definitely more important than number of cores if you're gonna be gaming and your budget is tight, though.

Same goes for the Z-series mobo. If you do get a K-series cpu you might some day want to OC it, and you'll be kicking yourself for getting that locked chipset (been there, done that).

As for cooler fitment, unless you're going with one of the mentioned cases I'd check the dimensions just to be safe - max cooler height is usually specified and there are loads of oddly shaped ITX cases out there.

There is no such thing as future proofing, there are so many architecture based features that aren't supported by previous generations, there's always something you cant do in a year or two even if you throw money at it. You are far better off with a build to suit your needs then just upgrading / getting a new one a few years down the line. Buying a 1080 when a 1060 would suffice is pointless at 1080p, because you are going to use about 25% of that GPU and still not be able to do "Amazing thing 2017" next year anyway.

Go with a 1060.
    As for overclocking, it's allot more simple than you'd think. It's only really confusing when you are pushing limits. Skylakes are kinda awesome in the sense that you can easily push a 66/700K to 4.6+ Ghz without doing anything other than.. setting it to 4.6Ghz...

Just do it, you'l never look back

Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    There is no such thing as future proofing, there are so many architecture based features that aren't supported by previous generations, there's always something you cant do in a year or two even if you throw money at it.
    For GPUs I agree, but when it comes to CPUs I'm not so sure anymore (although "futureproof" is a silly term).
    The last few Intel generations have stayed relevant for quite a while, especially K series.

GTX 1060 is the best budget-friendly GPU in the world right now for maxed out 1080p gaming , as well as maxed out Legion graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Couple of notes:

You dont really need an i7 to stream anymore. With QuickSync, you can stream without a lot of quality degredation (almost none) at 1080p with an i5 pretty easily, or if you have an nVidia GPU, with Shadowplay with only a tiny amount of quality. Same with recording. Shadowplay lets you record with almost no performance hit.

Now, if you're going to be editing a lot of video - the i7 might be worth it just for that, because the extra threads really help with render times.

You dont need a Z-series motherboard if you dont intend to overclock (a K-series CPU works just fine in other 100-series motherboards, you just cant overclock it) but it isnt a lot more expensive so you might as well, and you can get the performance boost later if you decide that pressing two buttons to overclock isn't too rough.

Dont worry about cooling in an mITX case unless you get a really, really tiny case (there are maybe 3-4 where it might be an issue). Most are engineered for enthusiast cooling and have great airflow. (I build exclusively in mITX). A lot of them even have fittings for water cooling.

I highly recommend (if you go mITX) the Silverstone RAVEN RVZ-01/02, EVGA Hadron AIR (or Hydro if you want to water cool), or some Lian-Li cases if you want super-small and still have great performance.

If you dont mind the case being bigger (but still smaller than a mid-tower), the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX and NZXT Manta are both amazing cases that can fit water cooling, have great airflow, and are easy to work in with amazing cable management.
    You cannot really do any quality streaming with Shadowplay. It's great for recording VODs but it doesnt have any options a streamer needs, you need to use dedicated software for that. Getting a non-K i7 is literally a waste of money.

I cannot recommend RVZ-01/02 or EVGA Hadron AIR, they are pretty bad. I wouldnt recommend Prodigy either (it's really hard to work with, bad cable management and small amount of inner space in general). The only ITX case I would recommend would be NZXT Manta, but it's on the expensive side. Enthoo Evolv ITX is a good case but in my opinion WAY too overpriced.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You cannot really do any quality streaming with Shadowplay. It's great for recording VODs but it doesnt have any options a streamer needs, you need to use dedicated software for that.
    ... i love that you keep showing your total ignorance of what is being discussed at every turn. You can use Shadowplay's encoding WITH OBS, for instance, to stream without eating up CPU power. Same with using QuickSync to do the same thing using the iGPU on Intel chips.

Getting a non-K i7 is literally a waste of money.
    Good thing no one mentioned that then

I cannot recommend RVZ-01/02
    Which is why Falcon Northwest (one of the top 3 boutique builders in the entire world) uses the internal layout of the RAVEN for their Tiki (they developed it in conjunction with Silverstone, and allowed Silverstone to sell the case as long as it looked different on the outside) - widely regarded as the best enthusiast mITX system on the market.

Its absurdly easy to work in, fits full size GPUs, has amazing cable management, and stellar airflow even with low-rise coolers.

or EVGA Hadron AIR, they are pretty bad.
    Have you ever used one? I highly doubt it. The only complaint i ever had with my Hadron was that the PSU should have been modular. Airflow was amazing, PSU fan was largely silent, worked like a champ.

I wouldnt recommend Prodigy either (it's really hard to work with, bad cable management and small amount of inner space in general).
    ... what? Have you ever actually USED one? Its obscenely easy to work in (MoBo sits flat above the PSU, fits full size tower coolers) and all the cables can be stowed away in the PSU compartment. If i had a single complaint about the Prodigy, it's that it isnt really a small case - its about as big as a mATX mid-tower. Other than that, though, its a great case.

The only ITX case I would recommend would be NZXT Manta, but it's on the expensive side. Enthoo Evolv ITX is a good case but in my opinion WAY too overpriced.
    ... The Evolv ITX is like 65$. Thats hardly expensive.

Its painfully obvious you have no earthly idea what you're talking about. Keep spewing, though. You're already at the point where literally none of the regular posters take you seriously.

... i love that you keep showing your total ignorance of what is being discussed at every turn. You can use Shadowplay's encoding WITH OBS, for instance, to stream without eating up CPU power. Same with using QuickSync to do the same thing using the iGPU on Intel chips.
    That's cool and all, but Shadowplay can only record from fullscreen. That's a dealbreaker. No windowed, no borderless windowed. OBS can stream any window. Samething with QuickSync.

Which is why Falcon Northwest (one of the top 3 boutique builders in the entire world) uses the internal layout of the RAVEN for their Tiki (they developed it in conjunction with Silverstone, and allowed Silverstone to sell the case as long as it looked different on the outside) - widely regarded as the best enthusiast mITX system on the market.

Its absurdly easy to work in, fits full size GPUs, has amazing cable management, and stellar airflow even with low-rise coolers.
    Enthusiast mITX prebuild? I'm laughing now. Cannot even take you seriously anymore. Prebuilds use all kinds on bad cases just to look cool, doesnt mean the case itself is any good. RVZ01/02 has HORRIBLE cable management (it's one of the thinnest cases out there and features atypical positions for PSU, videocard and storage), pretty hard to work on out of the box (atypical positions, bad accessory bundle, unclear instuctions which are important for this kind of case) and doesnt fit any decent tower cooler.

Have you ever used one? I highly doubt it. The only complaint i ever had with my Hadron was that the PSU should have been modular. Airflow was amazing, PSU fan was largely silent, worked like a champ.
    Watched a colleague build in it. Dont have any particular complaints about it other than it's the PSU - it's included, it increases the price and it has to be replaced if you're building a gaming system. Other than that it's just a small tower, slightly easier to work with than Prodigy, looks very similar actually (minus the window) and is a very steep price jump (probably a lot of that due to included PSU).

... what? Have you ever actually USED one? Its obscenely easy to work in (MoBo sits flat above the PSU, fits full size tower coolers) and all the cables can be stowed away in the PSU compartment. If i had a single complaint about the Prodigy, it's that it isnt really a small case - its about as big as a mATX mid-tower. Other than that, though, its a great case.
    Yes, my father uses one as a workstation right now, I built it. It has a good layout but very cheap made inside (which is natural for it's price). I guess I'm kinda jaded in this regard because I dont work with cheap materials much on the inside anymore. Cables had to be stores in a removed drive cage space nearby though. I dont really get why they had to make it so tall though, considering the mobo alignment.

Reviewing my answers here I'm pretty sure it's just a personal preference. One thing for sure - mATX cases are seriously overpriced in general and most of them have a serious problem fitting videocards (even normal two fan stuff) but not so much CPU coolers.