Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

You know what's going to be law? Having to post your real name on public forums.

I think this will become a law one day, and sooner than later. I think it's time people have the shit they type in forums be associated with their real names. Free speech is there, it is just that you are accountable now. Thoughts?
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Thoughts?
    No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

we should also have access to people's blood types and whether or not they're organ donors too.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

No thanks, I enjoy not mixing my hobbies and professional life.

What you want != "What's going to be law"

People are already accountable. If a position of authority really wants you they can trace your IP Address. Normal people don't need that kind of information.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really doubt it. Also, free speech doesn't exist on private boards and membership forums, and a real name requirement probably wouldn't stop a lot of trolls anyway, they'd just up their game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck enforcing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    People already treat Facebook like this so there will be a crowd for people that don't care who sees what they have to say. Personally I'll never use a forum that doesn't let me be anonymous.

10+ Year Old Account
    People already do it on Facebook.

We cant even manage to verify the legal status of voters.

How could this possibly work?

Besides the government already knows who we all are and they're adding us to the appropriate lists based off what we say.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

Besides the government already knows who we all are and they're adding us to the appropriate lists based off what we say.
    Wonder how many lists I'm on

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Free speech still exists, you can just end up being censored or banned from the forums. Just because you're online doesn't mean your first amendment rights disappear...
    Freedom of Speech means the right to speak out against your government without fear of being arrested or killed. It doesn't mean you can say whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want and it doesn't mean you're immune to the consequences of what you say.

I tend to think that might be the end result, yes. The amount of hostility and toxicity we are observing on the modern web would very likely be highly reduced by the accountability of acting under your real name, and not a pseudonym.

That being said, it's a sad development. The beauty of the net and your anonymity is that you can leave parts of yourself behind, parts that you'd rather not bring into a particular context. It means that a mother of five, a lawyer and a burger flipper can discuss anything, from social policy to whether Han shot first or not, without prejudiced biases based solely on their identity. Losing that is almost as bad as allowing toxic behaviour to run rampant.

It's a very hard problem to solve. Actually, I don't think it can be solved at all. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

Think we are on the "alt-right wing nutjobs" list yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I really doubt it. Also, free speech doesn't exist on private boards and membership forums, and a real name requirement probably wouldn't stop a lot of trolls anyway, they'd just up their game.
    Comments sections on sites like Buzzfeed that use peoples Facebook accounts being a prime example of this : P

Free speech still exists, you can just end up being censored or banned from the forums. Just because you're online doesn't mean your first amendment rights disappear...
    Actually, for the most part, it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, it probably will be a thing...

...when North Korea gets public Internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

The first amendment prohibits the federal government from infringing on free speech. It doesn't apply to private forums.

It's a ridiculous expectation. Too many crazies on the internet.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure it is, grandpa.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

7+ Year Old Account
    Some people want an echo chamber.