Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Your pay stub information, some countries list exactly where your taxes go

I was watching "Where to Invade Next" by Michael Moore and he was in various countries checking out some of the policies that are working really well in those countries. Lots of interesting things for sure but some of the things that stood out was:

1) In some countries, on your pay checks you see exactly where your taxes are spent by the Govt (list like 30 things and what % of your pay goes to each under taxes). They showed an example of what it may look like if Americans did the same and under the military an American would see 60%...60% of their taxes go to the military.

2) In most countries it is mandated by law that workers get so many vacation weeks off (in Italy they get 6-7 plus they get paid for 13 months a year but only work 12 - they figure that extra month pay is to use for vacations). The USA does not mandate any time off at all and I was astounded by this. It is not mandated.

It was amazing how some of the other countries manage their education, vacation and other policies. What I came away with is how poor the standard of living the US has compared to many other countries. I am not saying this as an insult but man... regular citizens really need to push for some better standards for themselves.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

And if you Euro-weenies had to actually pay for your defense instead of relying on the US to provide Pax Americana you would have a 60% military expenditure too. Also, lol at thinking Michael Moore is a legitimate source.
    Last edited by animeprime; 2016-09-06 at 08:53 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by animeprime View Post
    And if you Eruo-weenies had to actually pay for your defense instead of relying on the US to provide Pax Americana you would have a 60% military expenditure too. Also, lol at thinking Michael Moore is a legitimate source.
    Really? how much defense has that military really been put towards?
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by animeprime View Post
    And if you Eruo-weenies had to actually pay for your defense instead of relying on the US to provide Pax Americana you would have a 60% military expenditure too. Also, lol at thinking Michael Moore is a legitimate source.
    I am not European. I also checked those policies separately for myself and they are indeed true. I am not sure why you are being so defensive, it is just information.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really going to help when "60%" means a few dollars of someones taxes are going to the military and the people with lots of money do everything they can to pay nothing, so they're not going to care either.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Well say you pay 500 bucks a month in Taxes, are you ok with $300.00 of that going to military? That is majorly affecting your standard of living.

I'm fucking ITALIAN and i did 2 weeks off, like most of people.....you don't have a fucking CLUE like 90% of the posters in this forum. Stop spreading bullshit, asshole.

Your pay stub should read "you earned this money, here is all of it, nobody has the right to steal it from you no matter the reason, spend it how you damn well please".
    That's my response.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarw View Post
    I'm fucking ITALIAN and i did 2 weeks off, like most of people.....you don't have a fucking CLUE like 90% of the posters in this forum. Stop spreading bullshit, asshole.
    Easy there dinglenuts, stay with the point. The point is "BY LAW" in Italy...you are designated vacation time with pay. Yes or no? Jesus pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddysmind View Post
    Your pay stub should read "you earned this money, here is all of it, nobody has the right to steal it from you no matter the reason, spend it how you damn well please".
    That's my response.
    So who pays for the roads you drive on, who pays to maintain them? Who pays for the emegency services?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

That's my response.
    So fuck roads, bridges. law enforcement and emergency services, military, all services and old age pensions? Yes, I bet that would work!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting to see how hostile people are in this thread when presented with basic information and a couple probing questions.

To the OP: the United States is generally screwed up when it comes to where our tax money goes. Most people, if not all, believe it needs to be changed. However, the problem arises when discussing the details of that change. Many Americans consider higher taxes to be "bad" because of how poorly tax dollars are allocated in the U.S. - and they have a very legitimate point.

The duality of significantly raising taxes and reappropriating their allocation is a task so monumental as to be nearly impossible in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Easy there dinglenuts, stay with the point. The point is "BY LAW" in Italy...you are designated vacation time with pay. Yes or no? Jesus pay attention.
    again, you don't have a clue, but fell free to add some no sense stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    So who pays for the roads you drive on, who pays to maintain them? Who pays for the emegency services?
    I'm quite sure it would be taken care of in one way or another.
    You are not willing to explore other alternatives?
    I'm open to new ways of funding those things you clearly are passionate about.

10+ Year Old Account
    US doesn't have ANY paid holidays at all? So if they want to take 2 weeks off for vocation it will all be unpaid? What about sick pay?

I am glad I have 25 days plus bank holidays a year and up to 10 days sick :O

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarw View Post
    again, you don't have a clue, but fell free to add some no sense stuff.
    All workers have the right to annual paid leave (art. 36 of the Constitution). The Civil Code provides for a statutory minimum leave of eight days, for domestic workers only. Minimum leave of all other workers is determined by collective agreements, which generally provide for paid annual leave of not less than four weeks per year. Some agreements foresee additional vacation on the ground of seniority. During their vacation, employees receive normal pay, excluding only indemnities connected to the actual work. Italy has ratified the ILO Holidays with Pay Convention (Revised), 1970 (no. 132) which provides for a minimum leave of not less than three working weeks for one year of service.

I'm quite sure it would be taken care of in one way or another.
    You are not willing to explore other alternatives?
    I'm open to new ways of funding those things you clearly are passionate about.
    So give us examples. How do YOU propose these things are paid for without taxes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I am not European. I also checked those policies separately for myself and they are indeed true. I am not sure why you are being so defensive, it is just information.
    Military people are just having PTSD flashbacks so they can't help it.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Military people are just having PTSD flashbacks so they can't help it.
    Could you put your economic degree to use and provide us some much needed insight?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    US doesn't have ANY paid holidays at all? So if they want to take 2 weeks off for vocation it will all be unpaid? What about sick pay?

I am glad I have 25 days plus bank holidays a year and up to 10 days sick :O
    Depends on the company. I get 14 plus federal holidays, but I already get every other Friday off, so that ends up being another 14 as well.

As per the op and taxes: You can do the math if you really want. When I do my taxes, I can see exactly what my effective federal rate was and just use this:
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/2014-taxreceipt

I'm sure they'll update a tool like that for 2015 some time here, but it's a pretty good approximation.